• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Convert N 16 Manual Transmission To Auto

ksenevirathne

Question

Guys,

I am using a Manual transmission Nissan N16 face-lift ( So call N17) car for sometime. Recently I came a cross bit of crazy idea to convert it to auto simple because of the hassle in handling the car during heavy city traffic. Does any one have experience in doing this sort of thing? Any idea on cost for such conversion and any consequence of doing it?

I know in the past some people used to convert auto to Manual. As far as I know these cars are build on top of a common platform which design for both auto and manual. Kindly share your expert thought on this.

12 answers to this question

Guys,

I am using a Manual transmission Nissan N16 face-lift ( So call N17) car for sometime. Recently I came a cross bit of crazy idea to convert it to auto simple because of the hassle in handling the car during heavy city traffic. Does any one have experience in doing this sort of thing? Any idea on cost for such conversion and any consequence of doing it?

I know in the past some people used to convert auto to Manual. As far as I know these cars are build on top of a common platform which design for both auto and manual. Kindly share your expert thought on this.

Hi Mate

why don't you call agent ans ask them about the cost first, :)

then you get an idea what it costs actually if you don't do with agent

any way this is not a good move i would say you are going fulfill an old saying (if i am correct)

"INGURU DELA MIRIS GATHTHA WAGE" :rolleyes:

thanks

regards

sumith

Guys,

Sell your Manual and buy a Auto.

That is the perfect solution for you IMHO.

other than you want to spend so much time in garages, getting frustrated and etc...

and without spoiling the car.

Sell your Manual and buy a Auto.

That is the perfect solution for you IMHO.

other than you want to spend so much time in garages, getting frustrated and etc...

and without spoiling the car.

If done right, he won't really be spoiling his car. I think in a few rare cases an auto conversion might be a good thing. Ex. If he has financed his car recently and paid quite a bit in charges and can't sell the car for anything short of a loss or maybe the car has some sentimental value to him. The main problem in conversions is finding the parts for a decent price. If he can find the parts then everything else should work out.

I would suggest looking around and seeing how much a new auto compatitable radiator, tranny, torque convertor,auto shifter, bezel and instrument cluster would cost. If you think that together with the labour costs will save you money rather than losing money on a new car, then go ahead and do it. But figure out the actual costs of both before putting a foot forward.

If done right, he won't really be spoiling his car. I think in a few rare cases an auto conversion might be a good thing. Ex. If he has financed his car recently and paid quite a bit in charges and can't sell the car for anything short of a loss or maybe the car has some sentimental value to him. The main problem in conversions is finding the parts for a decent price. If he can find the parts then everything else should work out.

I would suggest looking around and seeing how much a new auto compatitable radiator, tranny, torque convertor,auto shifter, bezel and instrument cluster would cost. If you think that together with the labour costs will save you money rather than losing money on a new car, then go ahead and do it. But figure out the actual costs of both before putting a foot forward.

First of all please accept my apologies for not replying past few days. I was out of internet for sometime.

Actually I am using my car for last four years. When I took my car to the agents for the service, the mechanic told me that my radiator supports for auto gear. I definitely know that the radiator hasn't change because I bought this car at the millage of 12,000 from a friend of mine who got the car brand new from A*W. So I felt that these cars must be equipped with the basic framework for auto gear. As 'jdnet' mentioned I may have to look around for the required parts and do a proper evaluation before taking final decision. I'll share my experience soon.

its an N16... finding a auto version wont hard at all.. just sell your car and buy another auto car.. you might even make a bit of money on that... plus it'll be safer.. cos you never know when buying 2nd hand automatic gear boxes.. as it is they are fragile fitted to cars; you can never tell about one that was removed (for reason we dont even know) and left lying around weeks of not months exposed to sun and rain..

its an N16... finding a auto version wont hard at all.. just sell your car and buy another auto car.. you might even make a bit of money on that... plus it'll be safer.. cos you never know when buying 2nd hand automatic gear boxes.. as it is they are fragile fitted to cars; you can never tell about one that was removed (for reason we dont even know) and left lying around weeks of not months exposed to sun and rain..

care to elaborate on the term "fragile fitted"? I do agree on not knowing where the previous tranny has been or if it has been abused. The only way to be sure of it if to rebuild the unit before installation, I had an issue once where I worked on a Jeep Liberty with a tranny that had a busted reverse gear and installed a low mileage that I pulled out of a salvage yard car myself only to find the gears slipping. It's a game of russian roullete. But at the end of the day if he can source a good one for cheap with some kind of guarantee he wouldn't do too bad. I'm not arguing that selling the car may be the easiest and cheapest way to go about but he may have good reasons why he wants to keep this very car....DNA evidence from a double homocide..just kidding. But in anycase, it's doable and can be done to the manufacturer's specs but the only thing to really worry about is the cost of parts.

Edited by jdnet

care to elaborate on the term "fragile fitted"? I do agree on not knowing where the previous tranny has been or if it has been abused.

what i meant was CVTs are unreliable, in general even when tis being used (fitted) in a car. So you dont know how reliable will be if it has been removed (for whatever reason) and lying around...

Hi,

It can be (and has been) done. But I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm guessing it is still a newish low mileage car that runs smooth. Just imagine pulling everything out (including the wire harness)and fitting in used parts. So there is a chance of messing up a fine running car.

Your car will be either a 1300cc or a 1600cc. So you have to find an export spec conversion kit since JDM options are all 1.5 and 1.8 (Sylphy). If not, you have to change the engine as well. These kits are not cheap either.

The main issue is you can make run fine with a conversion but it will never be the same as an original.

But it can be done if you really must :)

what i meant was CVTs are unreliable, in general even when tis being used (fitted) in a car. So you dont know how reliable will be if it has been removed (for whatever reason) and lying around...

Ahh my bad. I didn't know the N16 had a CVT.