• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 406 Mechanical Repairs

Marzi

Good evening Guys,

I have just purchased a 406 Exec today. The car has a bit of work to be done in the front left suspension. I was given a good recommendation by a couple of people on French Lion at Pannipitiya Battaramulla. I met up with this gentlemen and took the car for a test drive.last evening. According to him he told me to set aside around Sixty to eighty grand for the car on the front repairs. The links,Suspension,etc,etc,etc had to be striped down and checked and replaced if required.

Please let me know if i can get a genuine clean job done in this garage. Im looking forward to putting the car straight into the garage and get the machine sorted out before i take the baby home.As usual as you all might agree Carmart would not be a recommended place not so much for the prises but due to the unreliability of service.

with your experience am i going to the correct guy for my car ? if not can you please advice what is the best option i have.

Cheers

Good evening Guys,

I have just purchased a 406 Exec today. The car has a bit of work to be done in the front left suspension. I was given a good recommendation by a couple of people on French Lion at Pannipitiya Battaramulla. I met up with this gentlemen and took the car for a test drive.last evening. According to him he told me to set aside around Sixty to eighty grand for the car on the front repairs. The links,Suspension,etc,etc,etc had to be striped down and checked and replaced if required.

Please let me know if i can get a genuine clean job done in this garage. Im looking forward to putting the car straight into the garage and get the machine sorted out before i take the baby home.As usual as you all might agree Carmart would not be a recommended place not so much for the prises but due to the unreliability of service.

with your experience am i going to the correct guy for my car ? if not can you please advice what is the best option i have.

Cheers

There are at least 3 ex/current carmart people doing Peugeot work - Lalith (did you mean to say Pelawatta Battaramulla? If so that's him...), Aruna @ Koswatta, and Rohana. Lalith has done some work (electrical) on my car when it was with previous owner and I'm not at all satisfied with the quality of the work (it looks like the work was done by trial and error, not by schematics) but that doesn't mean he won't do a good job on your suspension. Aruna was recently bashed in a thread (search (for Peugeot Koswatta) and you will find), but Harshan swears by him so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on some diagnostics/electricals I need done. Rohana came highly recommended by 2 of his clients but afaik he currently works @ Carmart and personally I prefer to avoid such people.

Whoever you go with, you will have to get the parts yourself (or it will be cheaper for you to do so). Go register at http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

You can enter chassis number and find all the parts and numbers for the car. So when mech. says you have to replace such and such part, from the diagrams you can figure out the exact part (sometimes the official name is different to the locally used name) and the number.

There are at least 4 places in Panchi that will do Pug parts, one is very famous but is the most expensive (and his price will depend on the car you have and what you look like!). If you can get parts hand carried from UK then ebay or a dealer is probably (*) going to be cheaper, but of course if it's a very heavy part that will likely not work.

(* Probably as in there were some parts that I got for 9k that Mr. Expensive quoted me 27k on; but on the other hand the washer pump was the same price in UK as in one of the other shops in Panchi)

Please let me now the names of the shops in Panchi if im to source the parts from there.

I wasn't sure if I could post this given the "no advertising" policy (which I can't find the text of) but assuming Madz's comment - 4th post here - is still valid it seems OK.

Ideal Motors - 2441715 / 0772293457 Indika; in the building next to the petrol shed near roundabout. imports from France through official channels, very helpful, can give you a VAT invoice if you want

The following 3 are on Panchi between roundabout and railway station; all will import from Singapore on request (can be useful if your need is urgent). But there are some posts in this forum that some of the stuff in Singapore is not genuine (was in the context of BMW parts; so I don't know if it applies for Pug)

Darshan(a) Enterprises (it says Darshan in English, Darshana in sinhalese, go figure) - 2438748; most likely place to have stuff, but can be expensive. Wanted 17000 for my starter motor solenoid (it's a mitsubishi part; the starters are usually made by Mitsu or Valeo) which is totally a ripoff price. he quoted 850 for Wurth coolant green but when I said it was 750 @ Imperial he agreed to match the price! But don't try this trick unless you can actually get it at that price! on the other hand he quoted 7900 for the drive belt tensioner which was cheaper than Ideal... but I got it from ebay UK for 20 pounds plus postage

Euro Auto - 2433544 / 075 5076201 (Gamlath) - I "discovered" them recently, so haven't bought anything from them yet

Golf Motors - 2438285 / 071 4242486 (Jayantha) - same as Euro Auto

Finally, not in Panchi, Imperial Motors - 2679749 / 071 4159654; they've never had any of the parts I've inquired about, but they must have some Pug stuff (Harshan told me about the place).

Roughly - what is the cost increase if im to get the garage to source the parts for me.

that I don't know... but I can't imagine him spending his time checking prices from 5 different shops (not all of which maybe possible with a phone call) for free.

Thank you very much for all the details Sifaan. Its very re assuring to know there is a group passionate about vehicles and ready to help as and when possible.Respect

Will keep in touch

Cheers

You're welcome :)

But do send a PM to Harshan (username HarshanSenadhir) who would probably be able to give you advise on dealing with the suspension issue.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I agree with Sifaan. Dont go to Lion Motors in Battaramulla. Lalith was a good electrician at Carmart, but once he started doing his own business, he started doing cheap work to have more profit. I had a friend who had a problem with his Peugeot gearbox. Lalith fixed it and mentioned that he has put new parts, but it was all a lie. He temporary fixed it. The issue came back a week after he got it fixed. He has taken it back to him and he said he cannot give him a guarantee. He later found out when he took the gearbox apart that laltih has not replaced new parts.

I had an issue with my A/C. Its was an electronic problem. Lalith did something to the car computer to fix it. Even that was a temporary fix.

Its up to you guys to decide. Just sharing my experience with you.

There is a genuine person named Mr. Rajeev in Kandana. He is a very nice gentlemen. He is a honest and reliable person. He even went abroad and has an Engineering degree in European vehicles. I trust him. Kandana is far but its definetly worth traveling there to get the work done.

His phone number: 0777320550. I recommend you to have a chat with him and you will know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Sean22

• 7 months later...

Hey guys

If a 406 has done 111,000km with out a timing belt change, should it be changed??

Also, heard that the front headlights cost 80,000 bucks each?? :blink:

Edited by ZyKo

Hey guys

If a 406 has done 111,000km with out a timing belt change, should it be changed??

Also, heard that the front headlights cost 80,000 bucks each?? :blink:

timing belt - probably yes (not just because of km, but also cos it's probably ~10 years on the original belt); of course you may be lucky and manage without any problems - i've seen in UK forums where the cost of the t-belt change is almost as much as the car is worth (high labour cost, low resale value), so they don't change it and use for as long as possible - if the belt snaps, they scrap the car for parts.

headlight - dunno what agent charges, but check with few other places like ideal motors and see

there's loads available new on ebay UK for <100 pounds and stuff even in 50-100 pound range; so you really shouldn't be forking out 80k for a headlight!

T belt needs to be replaced in 80k intervals and cost is almost equivalent to Japanese counterparts. It won't snap just after passing 100k mark but if it does, the cost of repair can be a killer.

Recon haedlights cost 8k upwards 16k depending on the quality. There's a Taiwan brand-new available for 14k. Genuine costs around 24~28k

Thanks for the info guy... Thought of getting the car valuated by De Silva valuers. That way could probably get a better price for the repairs needed.

;)

Valuation is good to know whether the price you're paying is worth or not. It doesnt necessarily give an indication about the cost of a particular repair.

Valuation is good to know whether the price you're paying is worth or not. It doesnt necessarily give an indication about the cost of a particular repair.

hey guys

the valuation will help me get a better price, so the repairs could be done by the money i save. the thing is we have used the previous car for 11 years and done only 46,000 km. thats like :blink::jumping-smiley-013: . Anyways the 406 would run just about 5000km a year because ive got a diesel van which can do way lot better than any car in terms of fuel economy. So i think a 406 with all the expenses people say it costs would be good for our usage.

Any comments ??

Thanks

the valuation will help me get a better price, so the repairs could be done by the money i save.

assuming the seller is willing to part with it at that price

the thing is we have used the previous car for 11 years and done only 46,000 km. thats like :blink::jumping-smiley-013: . Anyways the 406 would run just about 5000km a year because ive got a diesel van which can do way lot better than any car in terms of fuel economy. So i think a 406 with all the expenses people say it costs would be good for our usage.

it does mean that you were worrying about fuel consumption rather unnecessarily :)

even if the 406 does 8, it will cost you ~80k for fuel, and even a car that did 12 would still cost you ~50k, so that's only 30k difference per year. but add insurance (if full insurance was 40k, that's Rs.8 per km for insurance!!), service, depreciation, maintenance, etc. your "effective cost per km" will be close to the price that cabs charge!

if the car is for prestige purposes, by all means a 406 will work :)