• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Most Embarassing Motoring Moment

Duncan

Having many years of off-road (4x4ing) experience, one day a few of my novice friends with 4x4s asked me to give them a training session.

Being honoured by this request and the fact that my 4x4ing capabilities were fianlly being recognised ( at least by a few) I fixed a date a venue for the exercise.

Before doing a practical session, I decided to conduct a theory session on what to do and what not to do.

Having done that, it was time for the practical session and I gathered my faithful students around the first obstacle. Driving through lose sand. Thought I'd start with an easy thing before progressing to the more difficult stuff. If memory serves me well, I think I even announced this!

Having told my students how to tackle lose think sand, I got all the 4x4s lined up for the challenge with my 4x4 being the first, so that I could show the others how a master does his thing.

Being very confident in what I was doing and that it was quite an easy task, I engaged 4x4 and attempted the drive. To my horror and utter embarassment the vehicle got stuck the moment it entered the sandy section. Quite puzzled by this and the lack of any success after multiple attempts, I ended giving up. As I walked away trying to figure this out, one of the "students" got into my 4x4 and pulled off without a problem at all. More embrassment!!

However, much more embarassment was yet to come........Turns out, I had forgotten to lock the front hubs before engaging 4x4!!!!! :D

Anybody else got an experience to share??

well, when it was time to get my driving lisence i went though a driving school rather go privatly cos i was told that the proccess invloved a little 'sumthing' to the RMV officials.. and they never accepted anything from private people... so just to make sure that i can drive the driving school people wanted me to driver and show them... it was a toyota dolphin.. the instructor got in the driving seat and me in the back seat... he drove a distance and told me to come out and drive... it was a busy road with a lot of trafic... and i got into the driving seat and couldnt figure out if the engine was running... :D (mind you, this was the 1st time i ever drove a van)

i didnt want to step on the gas without a reason cos it looks unprofessional.. and didnt want to turn the ignition in case it was already running... so i slowly leaned to my side and kept my ear on the middle seat... i heard a slight mumble of the engine.. it was runnning.. :mellow: so got onto a gear and went off.... the instructor actually asked why i leaned.. i said i thought my shoe was a bit loose :(

well, when it was time to get my driving lisence i went though a driving school rather go privatly cos i was told that the proccess invloved a little 'sumthing' to the RMV officials.. and they never accepted anything from private people... so just to make sure that i can drive the driving school people wanted me to driver and show them... it was a toyota dolphin.. the instructor got in the driving seat and me in the back seat... he drove a distance and told me to come out and drive... it was a busy road with a lot of trafic... and i got into the driving seat and couldnt figure out if the engine was running... :mellow: (mind you, this was the 1st time i ever drove a van)

i didnt want to step on the gas without a reason cos it looks unprofessional.. and didnt want to turn the ignition in case it was already running... so i slowly leaned to my side and kept my ear on the middle seat... i heard a slight mumble of the engine.. it was runnning.. :( so got onto a gear and went off.... the instructor actually asked why i leaned.. i said i thought my shoe was a bit loose :angry-smiley-048:

Man.... U joker.... :D

ok my turn, when i went to take my licence I got a vehicle from that place itself (a van) because I knew that way I could get the licence quite easily, so the guy asked me whether I drive at home and all that. I said yes so he said we'll go for a trial b4 the real test. so I sat on driving seat and started driving like how i used to drive at home. u know, one hand on wheel one hand on gear. there was this right turn I had to do so i just pressed on to wheel and turned around :mellow: that guy was like

" ha ha oya kupadi driving uba gedara gihin karapan dan elawapan ath dekenma" :D

Most of us go through a period of experimentation during which, for the first time we experience the thrill of pulling the hand brake while cornering. :mellow: My most embarrassing moment comes during this very period of intense education. While traveling with a good friend of mine, I took a wrong turn and had to perform a U turn. So, with the intention of impressing my friend and showing off my newly acquired skills a lil bit, I decided to do a 180 turn with the aid of, yup that's right, the hand brake. :( So, I stepped on the gas, got some momentum going, steered, braked, got the car into the turn, pulled on the hand brake, so that the rear end would swing out..... but that bloody rear end never went anywhere... Went head long into a light post and got my front indicator light smashed to smithereens... I agree not a huge damage to the car, but man the damage to my ego and self pride....... Damn! :D

Most of us go through a period of experimentation during which, for the first time we experience the thrill of pulling the hand brake while cornering. :mellow: My most embarrassing moment comes during this very period of intense education. While traveling with a good friend of mine, I took a wrong turn and had to perform a U turn. So, with the intention of impressing my friend and showing off my newly acquired skills a lil bit, I decided to do a 180 turn with the aid of, yup that's right, the hand brake. :lol: So, I stepped on the gas, got some momentum going, steered, braked, got the car into the turn, pulled on the hand brake, so that the rear end would swing out..... but that bloody rear end never went anywhere... Went head long into a light post and got my front indicator light smashed to smithereens... I agree not a huge damage to the car, but man the damage to my ego and self pride....... Damn! :D

i also faced a similar thing aswell., but don't want to say it here :( ended up with blown front tire. hand break turns really gets u into trouble. :angry-smiley-048:

Uh, umm, I was driving along that kalubowila road, & jus near that American College place there were like 2 or 3 chicks so i kinda was glancing @ them, they were hot! :D, but what i didnt know was that i was moving, & i was like grinning @ them, wit the stereo real loud & stuff, when all of a sudden the jeep stopped moving, i was like uh??? 2 see that i was stopped by the car in front! :D, luckily it was a cousin so not much of a problem, jus drove off! :D I didnt dare look back @ the girls! :D

OK, I'll have a go...

T'was just after I got my license. Still on the paper, the card hadn't come in the post yet. Went for our batch party. Was getting boring, so some friends and I decided to head for the Meuseus batch party. So I was following this van. U know how bloody awful it is to follow vans, cant see shit in front. So, turned off near Royal into where the signal lights are now. There was some loud music playing on the ground there, so turned to check it out, when I turned back, the van had shifted to the side, and there was a police barrier right in front of me! And this army bugger standing there holding a gun across his chest staring at me in a bug-eyed manner. Slammed the brakes on. (This was the California) just bumped into sign. No damage either way. My friend in the front seat would have crawled into the cubby if he coulda :D Nearly shit himself seeing the guy with the gun in front of us :D Anyway, after a bit of questioning they let us go :D found the party successfully, but that was just entering the winding down phase too :( wound up in about an hour after we came.

And that has been tough to beat for me so far :D