• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Restore Thread.

jdnet

Hey guys,

So after looking at tghings for a while I decided to go ahead and shop for a classic so that I can have a restore project that will keep me busy for an year or too. I'm new to the whole restore side of things so please do excvuse me if I have any stupid questions. Anyway I'm looking at a complete strip down and with a tranny and engine rebuild and will be attempting to restore it to stock or near stock specs. I will keep updating this thread as I figure things out and will be looking for advice from you.

Anyway, please try to keep this thread on topic and no sylvi B.S.

I have heard there are a few guys with the know-how such as Milindu I would appreciate your views.

So here are my first few questions.

1. Finding a car.

Here's where I need your help to begin with. Basically I'm looking at a classic thagt would be easy to find parts for either locally or internationally. Right now I'm thinking about a triumph convertabile (not sure of what the model is) but I am open to any other suggestions. The car needs to look good though....I'm not going to drive around in a restored VW bug.

2. Should I have the frame sand blasted? Is there ta place that does sand blasting in Sri Lanka?

Surprising to see no replies on this...

On car choice- the thing about any classic (and restorations)- you have to find the car that you can put your heart to.

A classic is very the object that has an emotional connection to you...i for one, love mercs and vw's.

In terms of parts availability- the rule of thumb is the rarer the car, the harder to find parts.

VW's, austins, Mercs are probably have easier local access to parts.

Sand/bead blasting- to date, i'm not sure if anyone does it locally- but i saw pics of a vw floorpan restored by the Carmart Vintage restoration outfit- it was an immaculate finish, which makes me wonder if they had sandblasted it.

good luck!

Surprising to see no replies on this...

On car choice- the thing about any classic (and restorations)- you have to find the car that you can put your heart to.

A classic is very the object that has an emotional connection to you...i for one, love mercs and vw's.

In terms of parts availability- the rule of thumb is the rarer the car, the harder to find parts.

VW's, austins, Mercs are probably have easier local access to parts.

Sand/bead blasting- to date, i'm not sure if anyone does it locally- but i saw pics of a vw floorpan restored by the Carmart Vintage restoration outfit- it was an immaculate finish, which makes me wonder if they had sandblasted it.

good luck!

on sand blasting...colombo dockyard fellas do it on ships and boats etc....dunno if it's the same for cars and whether they can get a car sand blasted for you

on sand blasting...colombo dockyard fellas do it on ships and boats etc....dunno if it's the same for cars and whether they can get a car sand blasted for you

that sand blaster would blow holes in the thin metal plates of cars/vehicles for sure :) there are small scale sand blasters for vehicles and was searching for a place with a one when I was restoring my first 504. Wasn't that lucky.

Here is a site I referred heavily for my restoration and the sand blaster he used is also pictured. Hope this will be useful.

http://504coupe.150m.com/

Sorry I kinda missed this thread. Anyway according to a mechanic I know there is a sand blast guy in battaramulla. He will get me his number soon so if anyone needs it i'll let you know.

that sand blaster would blow holes in the thin metal plates of cars/vehicles for sure :) there are small scale sand blasters for vehicles and was searching for a place with a one when I was restoring my first 504. Wasn't that lucky.

Here is a site I referred heavily for my restoration and the sand blaster he used is also pictured. Hope this will be useful.

http://504coupe.150m.com/

Harshan is there a place locally that sells sand blast medium? Also should I look into getting an attachment and doing it myself. It seems I have twol choices. An attachment for the air compressor to dry sand it or an attachment for the power washer to wet sand. Wonder which one would be better. Although I seriously think set sanding it will cause flash rusting.

What's your budget?

well for the car not really sure. I want to keep the investment on the car really low since it's my first project. Not worried about the cost of spares and all though. Just looking for something that hasn't beenhacked with a decent shape dashboard and original engine and tranny. What dort of a budget should I be looking at?

well for the car not really sure. I want to keep the investment on the car really low since it's my first project. Not worried about the cost of spares and all though. Just looking for something that hasn't beenhacked with a decent shape dashboard and original engine and tranny. What dort of a budget should I be looking at?

Well If we only consider the Triumphs,The Herald Tourer is cheapest out there with a good one's changing hands for around 1 million,and you may still find one yet to be restored for far less.Then there's the Spitfire's.Though their price differs on the model it's safe to say a good example goes in excess of 2 million.The TR series cars sell for well over 3.5 million,for example a TR3 was advertised for 4.2 Mil a coupla months back(though I'm not sure for how much it actually did get sold for in the end).

If you are lucky you may still find an un-restored example of the above cars,but it is highly unlikely because most of them have been restored lovingly and rarely change hands,and when they do show up in the classifieds the quoted prices are sometimes very high.Our resident Triumph cars(and bras) guru Supra_N will elaborate I'm sure.

:D

Well If we only consider the Triumphs,The Herald Tourer is cheapest out there with a good one's changing hands for around 1 million,and you may still find one yet to be restored for far less.Then there's the Spitfire's.Though their price differs on the model it's safe to say a good example goes in excess of 2 million.The TR series cars sell for well over 3.5 million,for example a TR3 was advertised for 4.2 Mil a coupla months back(though I'm not sure for how much it actually did get sold for in the end).

If you are lucky you may still find an un-restored example of the above cars,but it is highly unlikely because most of them have been restored lovingly and rarely change hands,and when they do show up in the classifieds the quoted prices are sometimes very high.Our resident Triumph cars(and bras) guru Supra_N will elaborate I'm sure.

Well I'm really looking at an unrestored car. Getting one thats already restored wouldn't make much sense to me as I kinda want a long term project. Thinking of visiting some places outside colombo and testing my luck. I've been told I may get lucky in some villages.

So supra_n is a resident triumph guru eh? wonder which triumph car and bra he prefers. :D

Thinking of visiting some places outside colombo and testing my luck. I've been told I may get lucky in some villages.

ahhh the old wives tale..."there are Buggati's and Aston's rotting away in far faar away magical villages,waiting to be rescued by the brave and handsome car collector from colombo."...LOL

well good luck with that! :lol:

:D

Well I'm really looking at an unrestored car. Getting one thats already restored wouldn't make much sense to me as I kinda want a long term project. Thinking of visiting some places outside colombo and testing my luck. I've been told I may get lucky in some villages.

So supra_n is a resident triumph guru eh? wonder which triumph car and bra he prefers. :D

There was this old Borgward I saw on the Kandy road that was rotting. I think Milindu has checked it out already. Also there is something visible from the road between Bellanwilla junc and the roundabout near the Keells at Pepiliyana, I haven't ID'ed it yet, coz I only get a glimpse while going in the shuttle. No idea if either is for sale tho.

ahhh the old wives tale..."there are Buggati's and Aston's rotting away in far faar away magical villages,waiting to be rescued by the brave and handsome car collector from colombo."...LOL

well good luck with that! :lol:

way to burst my bubble hoss.