• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Steering Issue

lasa

Question

Guys,

For last few weeks I’m having trouble when driving my wagon. The problem is while driving steering wheel getting harder to turn to right when try to turn the vehicle. I shown this to mechanic and after checking he said one of rack-end need to replace and i did replace it on last Friday. On that day there was no problem given from mechanics place to home. Then I did wheel alignment on Saturday morning and after that day I’m again getting same problem. On last two days issue was not much as used to be(but was getting stuck occasionally), but today morning it happen all the way from home to office. I couldn't turn either to left or right easily and need to give some effort to turn. Also after turning to turn steering wheel to center also now I have to give some effort. But when i stop the car in start mode and turn the wheel it turns fine. Any idea about this?

Thanks

P.s:- There isn't any drop in power steering oil either even though there's a little leak in pump for last few months, which my mechanic said will not effect that much and ask to check for oil level regularly.

6 answers to this question

Sounds like you need to recheck your rack and pump. IS the belt loose? Is it making any noise when you try to turn?

Thanks for prompt reply. yes there's a sound comming when turning. Not always, but most of the time. Any idea? By the way what you mean by belt?

Edited by lasa

Tightness when turning could mean that the pump has a drop in pressure while at full load. In any ways, a removal and checking will be required. My Alfa had the same issue and a full service and replacement of oil seals in the rack was needed.

Tightness when turning could mean that the pump has a drop in pressure while at full load. In any ways, a removal and checking will be required. My Alfa had the same issue and a full service and replacement of oil seals in the rack was needed.

Thanks all, I gave my vehicle to garage and will update you guys on status.