• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Indy 500 Practice Day

dhp

Hey guys

I was at the May 11th practice at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was a cold rainy day and there was a good chance that practice would be cancelled, but I hung around for about 4 hours until they dried the track. You can see the JET dryer on the video clip.

They finally rolled the cars out around 1:45 pm and the wait was worth it. I was grinning from ear to ear being that this was my first time being so close to a car going at 215mph+.

This was also Ethanol day…I was told that this year’s field will all be using some mixture of ethanol (75-85). The ultimate goal will be to run entirely on ethanol… it would just mean a whole lot more pit stops as you get less mileage per gallon, but its cheap and has less harmful emissions. US energy secretary got to rid in a 2-seater car. I would pay big bucks to go for a ride-along at 220mph :rolleyes:

The sights, the sounds and of course the smell was awesome. If any of you guys will be in the area next year, I highly recommend the practice days. You get more access that you can even dream of at an actual race day. The general public admission is only 5 bucks.

I also have a lot of respect for those photographers who are able to snap quality pics of a car doing over 200mph. I will post my amateur photos soon J

here is a lil

• 2 weeks later...