• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Proton Gen 2

zeem35

Ohh!!! zeem is it 2.6 million :P …I thought its 2.2 or something….No idea about the car.. But it’s a nice Vehicle….

anyone here to comment on it??

Yo zeem35',

Yes it's a nice car. Comfortable, fairly quick and more than anything your getting a total package for the 2.6million if you DO decide to go with it. As for reliabilty there still no confirmed complaint or technical deffects to state...but best thing would be speak to some of the owners of the Gen2

Cheers

anyone here to comment on it??

well protons in general aren't all that too fuel efficient with relation to similar rides, but heck what does it mean to cut a 1-2km/L when u get a full package for 2.6mn in this country :D

Ha ha, I think Proton has come a long way, I am sure anybody would tell you, though the old Wira's are not as hardy as their Mitsubishi equivelents, they are pretty decent cars.

These Protons are the first Proton is manufacturing completely independently, not copying designs from Mitsubishi, so it would be very interesting to know how they perform. Mind you some of these cars have Lotus tuned suspention (I think Proton owns quite a bit of Lotus thesedays) plus I don't think anybody can complain about the design so I am quite optimistic.

Personally, I think for 2.6 million, brand new and with all available options, it certainly doesn't look a bad deal,

just my 2 cents,

The Don

Ha ha, I think Proton has come a long way, I am sure anybody would tell you, though the old Wira's are not as hardy as their Mitsubishi equivelents, they are pretty decent cars.

These Protons are the first Proton is manufacturing completely independently, not copying designs from Mitsubishi, so it would be very interesting to know how they perform. Mind you some of these cars have Lotus tuned suspention (I think Proton owns quite a bit of Lotus thesedays) plus I don't think anybody can complain about the design so I am quite optimistic.

Personally, I think for 2.6 million, brand new and with all available options, it certainly doesn't look a bad deal,

just my 2 cents,

The Don

yeh u r correct, proton owns quite a lot of shares of Lotus.

according to my Malaysian friends Proton cars are very good and reliable, "Zeem35" give me some days I will find some info abt that car from them.

JwesT

thx machan n if u can be a bit qwuick it would be great..

and investing 2.6 mil is not a joke so have to think twice or thrice before buyin :D

machan we all got exams tomorrow so I can't bother the guys abt a car :D i will ask them tomorrow and let u know ok.

The Gen 2 is really beautiful and stylish. I don't know anyone who ownes Gen 2, but my uncle had a Proton Saga long time ago and he never had any problems with it, he says Proton is good.

Also Swedish Trading gives 2 years or 60,000 which ever comes first warrenty on the Gen 2, also 10 years for the body. It comes with all the extras like Alloys, Factory fitted Alarm Remote, Climate Control etc... All these for 2.6 Million is a good deal. (in Sri Lanka)

JwesT

thx machan..

anyone else??

shakir fuzzo prev?? any comments?? or know anyone ownin dem?

It had got up a fairly rough road to Bambarakanda falls. I was fairly impressed that it had made it. I met a Proton Wira on the way down that was really struggling to get up there. 4 disks too.

Oh and motormag had a review on it. Check it out. This month or last months ed.

2.6milion for a malaysian? no way....Would rather get a N16 for it or a recon X grade Corolla

Yes ..Zeem If your paying 2.6 for a Malaysian car …You can go for a good recon Corolla….. But it’s your choice….Actually; Gen 2 look’s cute …. & corolla little bit Bulky… He He >>> :D:D:lol:

JwesT

thx machan..

anyone else??

shakir fuzzo prev?? any comments?? or know anyone ownin dem?

dude im just as curious as u are...the car seems pretty cool and i hear the handling is pretty gud too but i hav no clue abt its reliability

i don't know anyone who owns one of these but they do look pretty nice... i saw go for it, atleast you will have peace for 2 years (from warranty)

peacefull 2 years with a non japanease car? I dont think so fuzzo...These Malaysian cars gets "Kabal" very soon...Buffers off the hook, defects here and there, creaching sounds here and there

No zeem,

Go some how for a Jap, atleast there will be a good 2nd hand market

peacefull 2 years with a non japanease car? I dont think so fuzzo...These Malaysian cars gets "Kabal" very soon...Buffers off the hook, defects here and there, creaching sounds here and there

No zeem,

u hav no justification as to how this car will perform so dont diss it for no reason jus cos its malaysian...if u cant prove it wit facts dont say anythng...hav u owned one of these? i didnt think so

No zeem,

Yeah man. Like shak said, Don't generalise. This is, after all, a brand new design, and Proton have aquired Lotus, so sure some know-how and engineering expertise will come from there.

And "non-japanese car"? U think all European and American cars start falling apart as soon as u get them?

There is also a 10 year anti-corrosion warrenty.

And what Motormag had to say -

Summary

FOR - Scorching Beauty - Inside & out; safe; great ride / handling

AGAINST - nothing to think of!

SUM UP - The best yet from Proton - a Gem of a Gen.

Edited by Pericles

Proton have aquired Lotus, so sure some know-how and engineering expertise will come from there.

infact it has from wat i hear...jus like the proton satria GTi had lotus tuned suspension, apparently lotus has mingled wit the gen 2...

but i hav to say the interior is average...but wat more can u expect for 2.6mill rite?

anyways ive read a few british reviews n the only cons they mention r the interior, the brand n the small dealership network...not sumthn SL wud hav to worry abt eh?

Edited by sharkster

Proton GEN-2 is a car made by Proton launched in the third quarter of 2004. It is the first Proton model to use an in-house developed engine, the 1.6 CamPro Engine. The engine is alleged to be sluggish at low revs but Proton claimed that the peak power and torque is well above the 1.6 engines used in other cars. However, later in 2005 the ECU was remapped back to raise the low-end torque, but the maximum power and torque remained unchanged. Lotus Cars which is owned by Proton was instrumental in the development of the car which is evident in the car's ride and handling capability. In Malaysia, the car is rivalled by Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio.

I think the proton gen2 is quite a nice car, though i dont like its interior too much. Standard options for the 1.6 are dual airbags and abs with ebd.

M/T A/T

MAXIMUM SPEED 190 km/h 185 km/h

ACCELERATION 0 - 100 KM/H 10.5 sec 13.0 sec

FUEL CONSUMPTION@ 90KM/H

CONSTANT 5.8 L/100 km 6.2 L/100 km

1.6-MAXIMUM POWER

110 hp (82 kW) @ 6000 rpm

All this for 2.6 million is not bad, but you also could get a recon car such as a Toyota IST or toyota corolla. If you want to go brand new, the Kia cerato is also worth considering as it starts at 2.6million. Standard basic options are dual airbags, abs with ebd, plus it has leather, FTCS (Full Traction Control System)

The DOHC petrol engine lineup for the cerato includes 1.6-litre with 105 ps and 2.0-litre CVVT with 143 ps, while CRDi diesel engine has two kinds, 1.5-litre with 102 ps/22.0 kg.m and 2.0-litre with 112ps/25.0 kg.m

0-60mph-

1.6l -10.4 sec 2.0l- 8.5 sec

1.6l - 105 hp 2.0l- 143 hp

The cerato 1.6 is also marginally faster. The kia brand is more distinguished than the proton badge, but both cars are quite good, though the cerato would be a better buy for about only 2 lakhs more.

fo2001l7ri.jpg