• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can You Get Copped In Sl For Having A Radar Detector?

Az

Question

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If the motorists do slow down in the areas which need to be slowed down, (detector or not) whats illegal?

Well if motorist drive according to the law there wouldn't be a need for detectors would there ?

Its not about slowing down when you see a cop with a speed gun, its about driving under the speed limit always.if you do drive under the limit there isnt any reason to legalize such a thing is there ?

The cops are mad for pray now.

I was coped 4 times on my way to matara yesterday without any reason

All they complained i was crossing sngle lines actualy i overtook just after or before the line and was in line before it.

I hope the gov will give the cops 3d glasses cause they can't see where the wehicles were going :angry-smiley-024: :angry-smiley-024:

By the way funny speed limits here same 70kmph for 800cc(maruti) and 300c

Don't tell this to the cops they will increase the limit for the one haveing a 500 and a c more :angry-smiley-048:

police looking for new year bonus, i was cath by police yestrday for doing 60 on negombo road

the idea of a radar detector is to warn us when cops are checking for speed, so technically you still do something wrong but get away with it.I dont think such a thing can be legalized here.

can you get copped just for having the equipment installed? i mean what proof they have to say we used it against them?

can you get copped just for having the equipment installed? i mean what proof they have to say we used it against them?

No idea about the laws against it mate, which brings up the question i asked earlier.If you aren't doing anything wrong you wouldn't need one would you ?

Its like saying i have this gun but i wont use it,if one isnt planing to use it why would they have it in the first place ? ;)

Well if motorist drive according to the law there wouldn't be a need for detectors would there ?

Its not about slowing down when you see a cop with a speed gun, its about driving under the speed limit always.if you do drive under the limit there isnt any reason to legalize such a thing is there ?

Well, cause sometimes 70kmph isn't fast enough when you're driving outstation.

It has worked for me and I dogged few tickets as well. it’s a handy thing to have around if your planning to go outstation.

I try to stick to the speed limits but whenever I wonder off a bit then the radar comes in handy.A 6 channel will cost about 6k.

Bope

Well, cause sometimes 70kmph isn't fast enough when you're driving outstation.

Well my comment was based on isam wanting to legalize radar detectors.

But yeah totally agree with you,70 kmph is not fast enough.It might have been appropriate for cars used 20 years ago which didnt have good brakes or the bad road conditions but it seems 70 out station is not enough.The sensible thing to do is to increase the speed limits, not legalize radar detectors.

Maybe the new highways will have different speed limits (Hopefully) :rolleyes:

Most cops wont even know what it does, even if you get caught you can always say "It came with the car when i imported it, i dont even know what it does" :D

BTW is it a good idea to bring one of these down by USPS or UPS without hand carrying it ?

will the good folks in the customs give me any trouble ?

Not advisable mate. If they opened it, worse case they'll keep the device or you might end up having to pay the bugger. I just love the fact that our folks still think bringing an internet router is a "threat to national security" or some sh*t like that. Heard many stories about having to get approval from TRC and a whole load of nonsensical crap. And for a radar detector?? Huh, surely few years behind bars!

The Radar detector goes off on RF signals, The cobra I have started beeping when a cop flagged me down for a random check..... He asked me what it was...I said its an Air purifier unit sitting on the windscreen ....and it beeps when it detected the glass is open and when there was a change in the air.....he bought it !

I heard the newer guns are lazer guns which have to have a line of sight to work? So the moment the device is beeped you're recorded on the device. Is it not the case?

Heard many stories about having to get approval from TRC and a whole load of nonsensical crap.

That is correct. When we got down a router for my office, we had to go through a lot of hassle to get it cleared, and it took more than a month to get the relevant documents from TRC etc. to clear it!

I heard the newer guns are lazer guns which have to have a line of sight to work? So the moment the device is beeped you're recorded on the device. Is it not the case?

Laser is one of the additions. That needs some sort of line of sight. Cobra also supports other signal bands; X, K, Ka and so on, and those do not require line of sight.

The Radar detector goes off on RF signals, The cobra I have started beeping when a cop flagged me down for a random check.....

The detector starts beeping a few hundred meters before you reach a cop who is carrying one of those transmission devices. This advance warning has already saved me several times.

Not advisable mate. If they opened it, worse case they'll keep the device or you might end up having to pay the bugger. I just love the fact that our folks still think bringing an internet router is a "threat to national security" or some sh*t like that. Heard many stories about having to get approval from TRC and a whole load of nonsensical crap. And for a radar detector?? Huh, surely few years behind bars!

Yeah i think you might be right, not a good idea

I dont think our cops are using laser yet,the ones they showed in tv was radar based.

well if its radar based it radio frequencies so it spreads out over distance so it doesnt have to be directly aimed at your vehicle, so you have some time to react ( they use the dopler effect to calculate your speed).

But laser based one can only be tracked if they are directly aimed at your speed gun detector since lasers dont spread.

Most cops wont even know what it does, even if you get caught you can always say "It came with the car when i imported it, i dont even know what it does" :D

BTW is it a good idea to bring one of these down by USPS or UPS without hand carrying it ?

will the good folks in the customs give me any trouble ?

Have someone to carry on hand would be a good idea unless you have someone in the customs.

Yeah i think you might be right, not a good idea

I dont think our cops are using laser yet,the ones they showed in tv was radar based.

well if its radar based it radio frequencies so it spreads out over distance so it doesnt have to be directly aimed at your vehicle, so you have some time to react ( they use the dopler effect to calculate your speed).

But laser based one can only be tracked if they are directly aimed at your speed gun detector since lasers dont spread.

I thought there`s no proper way of detecting laser based speed guns, you could only jam them. That was my understanding, could be wrong though.

I thought there`s no proper way of detecting laser based speed guns, you could only jam them. That was my understanding, could be wrong though.

that's what i've heard too. also...laser takes very little time to lock on to your vehicle so there's very little lead time to even slow down.

I've seen what looked like a laser unit in use in narahenpita. luckily for me i saw the chaps from a good distance so managed to slow down :D

trust me blud , it works , saved me many times from those idiots givin me a ticket , i use a beltronics rx 65 , works like a charm ;)

yeah...a friend uses a cobra... seems to be working for him.

but even with the detector on you still can get copped once in a while.

if the coppers pulled the gun on you the last second and you're going pretty fast...there might not be enough time for you to slow down safely.

yeah...a friend uses a cobra... seems to be working for him.

but even with the detector on you still can get copped once in a while.

if the coppers pulled the gun on you the last second and you're going pretty fast...there might not be enough time for you to slow down safely.

hehe so far saved me upto the last miniute gunned point , but ya wat u tell is also true there are times u still can get copped for speedin tho u hv fitted with all the gizmos in yar car ;)

Does it work? I have come across detectors that dont do their job.

They do work,I use a Cobra 12 band and it warns me fine.But DO NOT rely on them for 100% .Pay good attention even if you use one.

Hey how much does it cost

You can find radar detectors from $34.99 to $649.99 or more. A 12 band Cobra like mine is around $50.00 and a 15 band Cobra with a hell of a lot features like touch screen,GPS,speed/red light/approaching emergency vehicle allert is available from $99.00 upwards.But I don't know those features will work in SL.

The latest is 22 frequency band AFAIK,some non-main stream manufacturers like Early Warning sell them cheaper but I don't know about their reliability.

Try on EBAY/Amazon.