• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sold With Open Papers

pissa

Question

I sold a vehicle a couple of years ago and just signed on the open transfer papers..... :action-smiley-060: now i am a bit skeptical, as i have no idea where it is now and there is a risk of this ending up with you-know-who's gang and being used to transfer explosives or something... :violent-smiley-030:

what can i do now to protect myself in case the risk materializes? i have complete details of the person i sold the vehicle to, including his name, NIC no and address.

6 answers to this question

in the set of transfer forms, there is one form which you are supposed to retain and send to rmv directly to state the vehicle is sold.

not too sure which one..i'm su\re someone else can share detials.

I sold a vehicle a couple of years ago and just signed on the open transfer papers..... :action-smiley-060: now i am a bit skeptical, as i have no idea where it is now and there is a risk of this ending up with you-know-who's gang and being used to transfer explosives or something... :violent-smiley-030:

what can i do now to protect myself in case the risk materializes? i have complete details of the person i sold the vehicle to, including his name, NIC no and address.

If you have a receipt that states the number of the vehicle, name, address and ID no of the buyer, then you should be all right IMO.

not advisable to sell on open papers

if the vehicle is involved in some sort of nefarious activity , the registration documents will show you as the owner of the vehicle , even though the vehicle has been sold on since

In certain cases where legal action is taken , for an example if a vehicle you've sold on open papers meets with an accident and person is killed , YOU will be required to go to courts and prove that you've sold and as such are no longer in possesion of the vehicle.

Its all rather unnecessary hassle so , its always best to do the legal thing and fill in the MT6 forms completely and as Fuzzo mentioned, send the relavent portion of the forms (A1 , B1 or C1 :unsure: ) to the RMW to confirm the transation and complete the transfer

Edited by Devinda_Z

ok there are few tricks in this..

in case if you sell properly using papers

make sure that you fill all forms and retain two papers from that book. Check for the heading of each paper to see what exactly you should retain.

1. Registered Owners Copy

2. Copy which Registered owner suppose to send to CMT (Commissioner of Motor Traffic)

you can keep the NO1 but you have to submit NO2. When you're submitting you can either hand deliver or post it. When you hand deliver you can be a victim of one alleged system in RMV of deleting previous owners. Coz you don't have any proof to say that you've handed over.

What I do is post it through register post and keep the receipt issued by the post office for proof.

in case you sold on open paper unknowingly even

1. get a letter from the new owner saying he acknowledge the vehicle.

2. Lodge an entry in local police station stating that you've sold the vehicle using the proof you have and obtain a copy of that entry. (this is something one of my friend who's into buying and selling does, although I don't have any experience to say how Police ppl acknowledge this)