• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Convert Manual Steering To Power Steering

Gypsy

dear friends...I want to convert manual steering to power ..please advice me on following, my maruti gypsy have 2c toyota turbo engine,

from where can i do this,

how much it cost,

can i use reconditioned or used parts,

what is the low cost, suitable method,

dear friends...I want to convert manual steering to power ..please advice me on following, my maruti gypsy have 2c toyota turbo engine,

how much it cost,

Did some research for my own one for over the last year but never quite got around to do it :-)

What I found out was, you could go for the conventional method where it'd require quite some modifications to your steering column, box, etc.

And also you would have to find parts that would suit your engine and space availability.

Then, I came across a guy in Kelaniya who said he could fix a Toyota Every buddy van's(or any other buddy van's for that matter) electric P/S to the Gypsy.

He said he would fix the motor and the circuit and that would work fine.The motor needs to be butted to the steering column.

Since I didn't see an actual finished output I have my doubts but still I think that it is a possibility.If you want to get in touch with the guy let me know.

He quoted 30K.That was about 6months ago.

But if you are going for conventional P/S, there are lots of guys around at every other garage who'd be able to try their hand at it.

From experience I guess they'd quote arnd 25K to 30K.

Good luck...

how much it cost,

My advise is not to do it. Newer convert things which does not come from manufacturers. My story is like this;

In 1998 I purchased unregistered Nissan vanette model vujc 22 manual steering. After lots of serching I found this vehicle is immaculate except the manual steering and at the time convert cost was Rs 22000/=. But after convertion although the parts are genuine they connect the rack, pump and reservoir with some awailable tubes. Because there are no places that we can burchase the original connecting tubes.

Within one week problem started ther was continuous loss of power steering fluid. What happens is, at higher speeds oils spill off from the reservoir.

So until after around 5 years I was using that with gallons of fluid no one could repair it. But I found the problem Nissan had introduced a nipple inside the pipe line so that it reduces the pressure of return oil to reservoir. But I coud not find the reason for frequent replacement of power steering pumps. After selling that van I purchased original power steering van of the same model. With that no problem at all.