• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Civic Reached 61,000kms, Need Advice

Hola

Hi All,

My Civic EK3 reached 61,000kms.....I usualy do the 5000kms service from the agents,and other periodic checkups like alignment etc...

Now that I reached 61,000kms....Should I change Timing belt, Should I change Petrol filter?

Please advice guys...

Thanking you in advance - Hola

Hi All,

My Civic EK3 reached 61,000kms.....I usualy do the 5000kms service from the agents,and other periodic checkups like alignment etc...

Now that I reached 61,000kms....Should I change Timing belt, Should I change Petrol filter?

Please advice guys...

Hi Hola

Timing belt change is usually done around the 100,000km mark. However, I personally prefer to change the belt around 80,000km. Usually 20,000km before the manufacturer recommended interval. Better safe than sorry is my policy. So here you got a bit more time to go before a change is necessary.

A more regular change of fuel filters is a must. Especially in coditions such as SL where quality of fuel and other environmental factors can lead to over worked filters. An efficient fuel filter will always translate into better fuel economy as well as smother running engine and better delivery of power.

At 61,000km I would suggest that you (in addition to the regular service) get the following done:-

- change in fuel filter

- change in air filter (if this has not been changed for over 20,000km)

- rotate wheels (provided you don't have uni-directional tyres)

- have all greasing points (including points such as door/bonet/boot hinges, locks, suspension pick up points, etc) greased.

- V-belts checked and changed if necessary.

- Radiator flushed and refilled with coolent.

- Engine tune up.

- Check charging system.

- CV joints greased (if necessary) and boots checked for cracks.

This should have your car good as new and running efficiently for the next 40,000kms.

Cheers

Dear Duncan/Kadafi,

Thanks for the info. I realy thought i got to change the timing belt at 60k in Civics.

But al the replacments you guys talked is all matter if there is a necesity fr it right...its not a must...?

Thanks-Hola

Hi Hola

Timing belt change is usually done around the 100,000km mark. However, I personally prefer to change the belt around 80,000km. Usually 20,000km before the manufacturer recommended interval. Better safe than sorry is my policy. So here you got a bit more time to go before a change is necessary.

A more regular change of fuel filters is a must. Especially in coditions such as SL where quality of fuel and other environmental factors can lead to over worked filters. An efficient fuel filter will always translate into better fuel economy as well as smother running engine and better delivery of power.

At 61,000km I would suggest that you (in addition to the regular service) get the following done:-

- change in fuel filter

- change in air filter (if this has not been changed for over 20,000km)

- rotate wheels (provided you don't have uni-directional tyres)

- have all greasing points (including points such as door/bonet/boot hinges, locks, suspension pick up points, etc) greased.

- V-belts checked and changed if necessary.

- Radiator flushed and refilled with coolent.

- Engine tune up.

- Check charging system.

- CV joints greased (if necessary) and boots checked for cracks.

This should have your car good as new and running efficiently for the next 40,000kms.

Cheers

I changed my timing belt when it was around 82,000,about 6 months back, changed the air filter and cleaned the radiator aswel, but i never did a engine tune up..is it necessory to do it and how can I know when it is time 4 a engine tune up?

Dear Duncan/Kadafi,

Thanks for the info. I realy thought i got to change the timing belt at 60k in Civics.

But al the replacments you guys talked is all matter if there is a necesity fr it right...its not a must...?

Thanks-Hola

Hi there

Like I said, I (personal rule) prefer to change the belt around 20k before the manufacturer recommended change interval. So if for your model it is 60k which is recommended, then certainly go a head and do it. The last thing you need is a broken timing belt which could lead to other consequential damage, costing you a lot more.

The other items I mentioned is not a must, only a suggestion. However, if the belt is changed then a tune up should be done. Performing the other items in my list will enhance the life of your car. However, IMO a change of water pump is not necessary. Usually water pumps (especially those in Jap cars) can run well into 150k+ without any problems. Your agents should be able to check if the water pump needs attention or not.

Cheers

Hi All,

Please advice guys...

Well mate it may be 100k for other cars but for ek3 itz 60k, i am certain coz i checked wit my Manual too, my engine is B15c and i guess yours is also similar to mine! so go for it(BTW i am currently running 68k in my engine and hope to do mine at my next service)

as for what else repair is needed at 60k i can help u wit info in my manual if u want!

I changed my timing belt when it was around 82,000,about 6 months back, changed the air filter and cleaned the radiator aswel, but i never did a engine tune up..is it necessory to do it and how can I know when it is time 4 a engine tune up?

you drive a Honda too ? cool... coming for the meet ?

Hi there

Like I said, I (personal rule) prefer to change the belt around 20k before the manufacturer recommended change interval. So if for your model it is 60k which is recommended, then certainly go a head and do it. The last thing you need is a broken timing belt which could lead to other consequential damage, costing you a lot more.

The other items I mentioned is not a must, only a suggestion. However, if the belt is changed then a tune up should be done. Performing the other items in my list will enhance the life of your car. However, IMO a change of water pump is not necessary. Usually water pumps (especially those in Jap cars) can run well into 150k+ without any problems. Your agents should be able to check if the water pump needs attention or not.

Cheers

Personally I wouldnt take a chance, when i had the timing belt changed, I did the water pump and tensioner and it was a good idea, since the water pump had a lot more play on the impeller shaft compared with the new one. But if the water pump doesnt have any visible signs of wear and tear then you might be able to re-use it.

The old tensioner was on its last legs too, the bearings were whinning a little, and after the new tensioner the noise was gone.

Regarding the tune up including what has been mentioned before, I would check the plugs, ditributor cap and check your intake manifold for any gunk or oil, then clean with any suitable cleaners.

HTH

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the great advice done. According to isurujosh I got to change my timing belt by 60k. I have any way booked for a full service on Monday.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the great advice done. According to isurujosh I got to change my timing belt by 60k. I have any way booked for a full service on Monday.

k dude so Monday is today, so how did the thing go, how much did u pay and what else was done apart from replacing the t-belt?

k dude so Monday is today, so how did the thing go, how much did u pay and what else was done apart from replacing the t-belt?

Hi machang,

I am so bloody pissed off...let me tell you why. Now they are supposed to do a tune up no, but they have asked for a extra 2800 rupees.

We did full service and timing belt change today..

Tming belt - 3400

Bolts - 1000

Oil - 700

Wheels - did not get the full break down - the bill mispalced

Service and labour changes - 2800

Anyhow without Mobile oil Can (which was 1500 something) the full bill has come into 13,000++.

I thought the tune up comes in free when we do the timing belt change...any how they have adviced to do it if it is necessary...How the hell am i to know that????

Duncan!!! - HELP!!!

Hi machang,

I am so bloody pissed off...let me tell you why. Now they are supposed to do a tune up no, but they have asked for a extra 2800 rupees.

We did full service and timing belt change today..

Tming belt - 3400

Bolts - 1000

Oil - 700

Wheels - did not get the full break down - the bill mispalced

Service and labour changes - 2800

Anyhow without Mobile oil Can (which was 1500 something) the full bill has come into 13,000++.

I thought the tune up comes in free when we do the timing belt change...any how they have adviced to do it if it is necessary...How the hell am i to know that????

Duncan!!! - HELP!!!

man that’s quite a thumping bill, is it coz its from the agent????

man that’s quite a thumping bill, is it coz its from the agent????

Dunno machang, i only tried the agents as I realy dont find any other place who knows it well. For an instance, i rember me getting almost a heart attack when i took our Hiace for timing belt change to a town side mechanical place. They beat the wheels from a hammer if it doesnt come out, they use screw drivers if the belt doesnt come out etc...they dont have the right tools for the right job...But the agents does

Dunno machang, i only tried the agents as I realy dont find any other place who knows it well. For an instance, i rember me getting almost a heart attack when i took our Hiace for timing belt change to a town side mechanical place. They beat the wheels from a hammer if it doesnt come out, they use screw drivers if the belt doesnt come out etc...they dont have the right tools for the right job...But the agents does

you must have gone for a doggy place then. im sure there are loads of places where you can get these done apart from the agents. it'll be interesting ot knwo weather there's a major price difference between such a palce and the agent? im sure there is. did you buy the timing belt from the agent as well???????????

you must have gone for a doggy place then. im sure there are loads of places where you can get these done apart from the agents. it'll be interesting ot knwo weather there's a major price difference between such a palce and the agent? im sure there is. did you buy the timing belt from the agent as well???????????

Yeah machang, the whole timing belt and all from Agents..Now that why agents are good becuase they all use geniune parts. Where other places they can put in "JUNDA" geniune parts instead of Honda genuine parts... ;)

Yeah machang, the whole timing belt and all from Agents..Now that why agents are good becuase they all use geniune parts. Where other places they can put in "JUNDA" geniune parts instead of Honda genuine parts... ;)

i think you are been bit too paranoid. there are genuine mechanics in SL. so do all the honda boys go to the agent for there service??????????????

i think you are been bit too paranoid. there are genuine mechanics in SL. so do all the honda boys go to the agent for there service??????????????

Machang , realy i wonder that...Even i wonder that, all the Honda fans/owners who came to the meet - for a moment i wonder if they go for the agents to keep it in such tip top condtion. Machang actulay i am not so knowledgable about these, so that why i only go to the agents, and also at the time of sale some people throw in some extra bucks if it is "AGENT MAINTAINED" ...But if you guys know a place where you guys think who will do a neat job please advice...I got a broucher from TunedIchips on the meet saying they do Honda tuning, but realy no idea bro....

Bro Hola,

I dunno if anybody aggrees with me, but 13K is not bad for a full service timing belt change and a tune up. to be honest it sounds pretty reasonable especially done at the agents,

I dont think you should fret on the cost too much.

And at the same time, there are quite a few good mechs out there who do an equally good job if not better than the agents, though I do understand its difficult to pin point which ones.

I know one person whom a lot in this forum knows, not a honda expert though, and his rates are quite comparable if not more than the agents, but the man knows what he is doing ;)

The Don

Bro Hola,

I dunno if anybody aggrees with me, but 13K is not bad for a full service timing belt change and a tune up. to be honest it sounds pretty reasonable especially done at the agents,

I dont think you should fret on the cost too much.

And at the same time, there are quite a few good mechs out there who do an equally good job if not better than the agents, though I do understand its difficult to pin point which ones.

I know one person whom a lot in this forum knows, not a honda expert though, and his rates are quite comparable if not more than the agents, but the man knows what he is doing ;)

The Don

Hi bro,

13k is not my issue, i am angry cause they did not put in a tune up for that amount. For what I heard with timing belt change- a tune up comes in for free or its a must i guess. Now these guys wants me to come for a tune up only if i want to...how the hell am i to know that ( i didnt go personaly for the service, someone else took the car for me), im not soo much of a motor mechanic guy (evn though i got Disctinction in my OLs)....So now my question is

1/.how am i to know if i need a tune up. And for the tune up they charge 2000++

2/.Can i go to that tuneichip place where they charge 5500/=, but if they are doing something which the car will be reasonble on her petrol its fine (with this rising fuel cost)...