• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pajero Rear Door Shouts

isam

Thanks for reading my post.

I have a Pajero Mark 2 (Popularly known as the Intercooler Model in SL). For the past couple of days I have been noticing that its rear door gives a loud sound (like 'thud') each time it goes over a hump or a large pothole. Judging by the sound it seems like the door is loose and is thrown up ad down. I checked the hinges and they are fine. The closed door seem to fit in and has no play when I tried to shake it myself.

Do any of you have similar experience? I took it to the garage and they also could not find anything wrong. I'm leaving it home coz I'm worried I might damage something if I keep on driving it.

Edited by isam

off the top of my head, could there be some part inside the door thats come loose? maybe the Power-shutter motor? Might be helpful to remove the door panel and move things around a bit.

If you aren't absolutely sure the next thing you can maybe check out is the suspension at that corner of the vehicle.

off the top of my head, could there be some part inside the door thats come loose? maybe the Power-shutter motor? Might be helpful to remove the door panel and move things around a bit.

If you aren't absolutely sure the next thing you can maybe check out is the suspension at that corner of the vehicle.

There could also be some rubber stoppers (can't think of the right word) that prevent the door from moving. If these are missing it would cause the door to knock th frame even though you don't notice any movement. I have the same problem on the IO haven't had the time to find a replacement.

Thanks for reading my post.

I have a Pajero Mark 2 (Popularly known as the Intercooler Model in SL). For the past couple of days I have been noticing that its rear door gives a loud sound (like 'thud') each time it goes over a hump or a large pothole. Judging by the sound it seems like the door is loose and is thrown up ad down. I checked the hinges and they are fine. The closed door seem to fit in and has no play when I tried to shake it myself.

Do any of you have similar experience? I took it to the garage and they also could not find anything wrong. I'm leaving it home coz I'm worried I might damage something if I keep on driving it.

Like watchman said something inside the door might be loose, it might help if you remove the upholstery and took a look inside :)

The spare wheel is attached to the door is it not ? I wonder whether its worthwhile taking everything attached to the door like the spare wheel, spare petrol can attached to the door and driving around to see if the noise disappears.

The spare wheel is attached to the door is it not ? I wonder whether its worthwhile taking everything attached to the door like the spare wheel, spare petrol can attached to the door and driving around to see if the noise disappears.

What I was thinking too. If Isam is talking about the rear door which carries the spare wheel and the Jerry Can then the shaking could be due to a bad lock as well. (Just one reason out of many) Atleast that was the case on ours. Think the lock was like 12,000 at Unit#d Mot#rs if I remember right. With time these doors take a lot of beating specially with the weight of the wheel. If its not lose from the hinges, I would check its lock and possibly the beading.

Btw I have never heard the Pajero being referred as a Mark 2. You mean Second Generation may be? It was the Landruiser that was referred to as the Land Cruiser II.

Many thanks for your valuable suggestions and ideas. Yes it is the rear door with the spare wheel hanging.

I checked the door pins - OK

I checked for loose spare wheel - OK

The Jerry Can always makes rattling noise which I'm used to but its not the case this time.

I checked the rear door sprinkler tank (by giving it a nudge through the re-filler opening and it seems to be properly fixed.

The toolbox also has no play.

However I noticed two things:

1. The door beading seems to have rubbed against the door. I think it should not be rubbing the door but in good contact with the door. Which means the door is shaking when the vehicle goes over a hump.

2. There is a rubber door guide (sorry, but I don't know the correct term) below the lock which I see has again rubbed against the cradle like thing that holds it. This rubber door guide seems to be a little deformed from beaten around each time the door is closed and it has some scars on it. (Will post a photo soon) Could this be the culprit?

What I was thinking too. If Isam is talking about the rear door which carries the spare wheel and the Jerry Can then the shaking could be due to a bad lock as well. (Just one reason out of many) Atleast that was the case on ours. Think the lock was like 12,000 at Unit#d Mot#rs if I remember right. With time these doors take a lot of beating specially with the weight of the wheel. If its not lose from the hinges, I would check its lock and possibly the beading.

Btw I have never heard the Pajero being referred as a Mark 2. You mean Second Generation may be? It was the Landruiser that was referred to as the Land Cruiser II.

Hi DevakaC, how can I determine whether the lock has gone bad?

I see no marks left by the lock on the lock hold fixed to the body. (Sorry but I don't know the technical terms for these.)

:unsure:

Edited by isam

Good idea Don. Will try this.

Many thanks for your valuable suggestions and ideas. Yes it is the rear door with the spare wheel hanging.

I checked the door pins - OK

I checked for loose spare wheel - OK

The Jerry Can always makes rattling noise which I'm used to but its not the case this time.

I checked the rear door sprinkler tank (by giving it a nudge through the re-filler opening and it seems to be properly fixed.

The toolbox also has no play.

However I noticed two things:

1. The door beading seems to have rubbed against the door. I think it should not be rubbing the door but in good contact with the door. Which means the door is shaking when the vehicle goes over a hump.

2. There is a rubber door guide (sorry, but I don't know the correct term) below the lock which I see has again rubbed against the cradle like thing that holds it. This rubber door guide seems to be a little deformed from beaten around each time the door is closed and it has some scars on it. (Will post a photo soon) Could this be the culprit?

I think your door pins might have worn out, better check it out :alc:

Hi DevakaC, how can I determine whether the lock has gone bad?

I see no marks left by the lock on the lock hold fixed to the body. (Sorry but I don't know the technical terms for these.)

:unsure:

In our case the locking properties had diminished overtime thereby shaking the rear door each time we go over a pot hole or bumpy road. It closed and locked fine it just didnt lock and hold the door as it should. This might not be your case but give it a look. I wasnt sure what you meant by saying you saw no marks left by the lock, so I just attached a pic

pajero9.jpg