• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Turbo Idling Time

flyboy320

hi guys .. i own a mitsubishi 4DR6 , and recently i installed a turbo timer ..as i was advised it was essential to save the turbo ..my question is

whats the adequate idling time to be set for this engine .. right now i have it @ 30 secs.. thanks for the help in advance..

Eventhough a turbo timer is absolutely not required on turbo engines (hence not factory fitted) some technicalities do prove it might increase life of the turbo and any premature failures. Had one on the Pajero and it was set for 30 seconds, the unit failed after about 4 years, was a HKS timer. What we usually do is if we do long trips, lot of hill climbing or high rev driving let it settle for about a minute or so. After the unit failed didnt even bother after short day to day running. So yeh 30 seconds is great. Im assuming you have 4D56 turbo engine on that 4DR6?

Eventhough a turbo timer is absolutely not required on turbo engines (hence not factory fitted) some technicalities do prove it might increase life of the turbo and any premature failures. Had one on the Pajero and it was set for 30 seconds, the unit failed after about 4 years, was a HKS timer. What we usually do is if we do long trips, lot of hill climbing or high rev driving let it settle for about a minute or so. After the unit failed didnt even bother after short day to day running. So yeh 30 seconds is great. Im assuming you have 4D56 turbo engine on that 4DR6?

thanks devaka .. yeah the engine is 4DR6 , so i guess 30 sec s will do .. and just to go out of the topic .. i have problem in entering the LO 4 mode

when using 4WD , the HI4 enters without any problem and works fine im not sure whats the problem and im a bit apprehensive to letsome one mess with the gearbox unless he knows what hes doing ... any advise on this would be very helpful.

hi guys .. i own a mitsubishi 4DR6 , and recently i installed a turbo timer ..as i was advised it was essential to save the turbo ..my question is

whats the adequate idling time to be set for this engine .. right now i have it @ 30 secs.. thanks for the help in advance..

If you use the stock turbo and not an after market turbo you should be doing ok even without a turbo timer.But if its after market manufactures recommend specific time, better check it out.

Basically a turbo timer is to cool down the turbo before the engine stops pumping oil to it so oil doesn't clog because of the heat.

thanks devaka .. yeah the engine is 4DR6 , so i guess 30 sec s will do .. and just to go out of the topic .. i have problem in entering the LO 4 mode

when using 4WD , the HI4 enters without any problem and works fine im not sure whats the problem and im a bit apprehensive to letsome one mess with the gearbox unless he knows what hes doing ... any advise on this would be very helpful.

The steering wheel should be in the straight ahead position before shifting to low range

the more advanced ones have an auto mode dont they... i am also on the look out for one with auto mode.. which intelegently decided the time depedning on the RPM's used i think.. i have set mine to 40 seconds but mine's a B4

Yeah my IO has that I think the brand is razo or something. Didn't even know I had it until I took off the panel to install a new timer. Turned out it was there but switched off. Lol I once got the timmer running for like 3 mins. A lot of speed and a whole lot of revving.

Eitherway the cool thing about the unit is that it would not set the timer if you haven't been using the turbo (high revs).

Yeah my IO has that I think the brand is razo or something. Didn't even know I had it until I took off the panel to install a new timer. Turned out it was there but switched off. Lol I once got the timmer running for like 3 mins. A lot of speed and a whole lot of revving.

Eitherway the cool thing about the unit is that it would not set the timer if you haven't been using the turbo (high revs).

any idea @what RPM the turbo will come in to effect ..im kinda curios cuz i haven't heard the whistling noise of the turbo ..but then again i havent reved the engine much .

any idea @what RPM the turbo will come in to effect ..im kinda curios cuz i haven't heard the whistling noise of the turbo ..but then again i havent reved the engine much .

Mostly arround the 4000-5000 RPM range but depends on the size of your turbo, if you have a bigger one it will have more turbo lag if you have a smaller one less lag :D

Mostly arround the 4000-5000 RPM range but depends on the size of your turbo, if you have a bigger one it will have more turbo lag if you have a smaller one less lag :D

the turbo is the original one that comes for the 4DR6 engine.. its not that big ..i haven't felt any loss of power or lag so far .. so i guess mine is working fine ... and how often ( if at all ) r u supposed to service the turbo .. and any good place to get it done ....

The Guy has a 4DR6 not an Evo or WRX.

The turbo kicks in around 2000RPM on diesel jeeps.