• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problem With Gear Links

Suds72

Question

Hi Guys,I need your valuable advice here. My car is a VW - Bora and has a link based gear changing system. Now It starts breaking those links at regular intervals. The link in the same position broke twice last 3 days giving me really bad time.

I have shown it to 2 people and what they say it that nothing wrong in the car and the it was just a defective link(s) I have put. I doubt it here since it happened twice within 3 days. When I am changing gears I feel a bit hard on putting on to 1,3 and R. Could this have something to do with it ?

Is it possible to change this link based system ?

Your valuable advice is much appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I've not driven the Bora, but I think the Golf has the same system and there it is widely used. I don't think there is a design defect in the system itself, so there is no point trying to change it to some other system. How did you get it repaired when it broke the first time ?

Ok so wait i'm kinda confused. Did two new links break or the old one and then the one you replaced it with?

Also what brand is the replacement part you are using?

From what I know those VW manual transmissions were pretty strong as long as you didn't abuse them a whole lot.

Hi,

Thanks for both replies.

How did you get it repaired when it broke the first time ?

I have replaced all 4 links with brand new ones.

Did two new links break or the old one and then the one you replaced it with?

Old one + a new one I have put. Now I am running on the second new one.

Hi,

Thanks for both replies.

How did you get it repaired when it broke the first time ?

I have replaced all 4 links with brand new ones.

Did two new links break or the old one and then the one you replaced it with?

Old one + a new one I have put. Now I am running on the second new one.

The Bora does have this gear link issue.. but once fixed properly, it doesn't give way. Who did the repair on your car?

The Bora does have this gear link issue.. but once fixed properly, it doesn't give way. Who did the repair on your car?

There was not a specific 'repair' for this. I just bought brand new links (all 4) and got it replaced by a ex-carmart guy. I remember getting the gear relay shaft also replaced by the same guy about 18 months ago.

Even this time it was just replacing the broken link.

Could you please advice me on how to fix it, as I am scared to do a long trip on this car :(

There was not a specific 'repair' for this. I just bought brand new links (all 4) and got it replaced by a ex-carmart guy. I remember getting the gear relay shaft also replaced by the same guy about 18 months ago.

Even this time it was just replacing the broken link.

Could you please advice me on how to fix it, as I am scared to do a long trip on this car :(

I sent you the contact details of a VW expert via PM. You can take it to him for a second opinion. Three of my friends who have VW go there.