• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chevrolet Beat

Shiran K

Hi all ,

i am planning to get a Chevrolet Beat - made in india but designed in Korea,

MAGCITY imports this car and sells for almost 2.0 M with Tax,

is this a good car and i want to know if someone has driven this car or used it for sometime...

this is my first car so i will need all the advices i can get...

i have read many reviews but not sure how bias they are or totally independent...

website for beat

please let me know if this is a good move since im planning 7 year loan and after 7 years will it stand a market price

- Thanks

Machan it would be really hard to predict the second hand market price of the beat in 7 years, unless you go to an astrologer. The truth is that market trends constantly change. In my personal opinion what I can tell you about that car is, that is it's anything like the chevy cruze, it probably will not retain a god second hand value. On another note though, if you want a brad new car and you are willing to forget about resale values, it's pretty decent for the price.

...................................... In my personal opinion what I can tell you about that car is, that is it's anything like the chevy cruze, it probably will not retain a god second hand value. ................................

Suzuki Swift-based Chevy Cruze? or the all-new GM-Designed Made in India Chevy Cruze?

i think swift based chevy cruze has a better resale value, almost similar to the suzuki swift early models.

but my concern is the Chevy Beat, and it looks good, decent interior, and good price for a brand new. also

I'm a bit worried about its been a month since its here, we don't see many on the road, if the car fails to sell here later there would be a issue with repairs and parts.

if magcity gives up importing we will be ordering parts from ebay... and i dont wanna endup there.

also please discuss about the chevy cruze parts. are they expensive than swift parts...

please let me know if this is a good move since im planning 7 year loan and after 7 years will it stand a market price

Have you considered renting? Coz it seems to me, you want to buy a car and sell it after 7 years without any depreciation. Paying only running costs.

First, read this

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Depreciating+asset

Also this

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=SAV/66033/00007

The key point here

A depreciating asset is an asset that has a limited effective life and can reasonably be expected to decline in value over the time it is used. Depreciating assets include such items as computers, electric tools, furniture and motor vehicles.

And if you're still not clear on this concept

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depreciation

I'm a bit worried about its been a month since its here, we don't see many on the road, if the car fails to sell here later there would be a issue with repairs and parts.

also please discuss about the chevy cruze parts. are they expensive than swift parts...

Well if it`s been in SL for a month, dont think anybody will know prices of parts for sure, unless you find out from the agents. And its a brand new car, so what "parts" are you talking about here? it`s not like the whole engine is going to seize for sure after 2 years. If you meet with an accident and needs body parts then it`ll be a different story, you`ll be better off with a Corolla or Sunny if that`s a concern. If it`s usual replaceable`s like brake pads and stuff don`t think it`ll be a big issue anyway, this is a common model from GM sold with different name plates in other places (e.g. Holden Barina in Australia) India is not that far away to get those down from either. :)

Edited by MrCat

Well if it`s been in SL for a month, dont think anybody will know prices of parts for sure, unless you find out from the agents. And its a brand new car, so what "parts" are you talking about here? it`s not like the whole engine is going to seize for sure after 2 years. If you meet with an accident and needs body parts then it`ll be a different story, you`ll be better off with a Corolla or Sunny if that`s a concern. If it`s usual replaceable`s like brake pads and stuff don`t think it`ll be a big issue anyway, India is not that far away to get those down from. :)

Yeah, thanks a lot, i appreciate your advice.

hey guys i would like to hear from an existing chevy beat user..

For a "non toyota", "non japanses" car that was launched less than a month ago? I doubt if you could find a good enough number of users at this point to give you an unbiased opinion. Two scenarios;

1. You wouldn't find very many users of the car right now

2. The users who you find will over exaggerate the qualities of the car to justify their own investment decision to ensure market perceptions are positive on the model irrespective of reality

Why not go for a Maruti A star for the same price or cheaper?? given mag city's reputation, I wouldn't trust a 7 year investment with them

Suzuki Swift-based Chevy Cruze? or the all-new GM-Designed Made in India Chevy Cruze?

Chevrolet Cruze was derived from the Suzuki swift hatchback. 2001-2008 Chevy Cruze hatchback was imported from Japan thus it has good resell value but Chevy Beat coming from India so its resell value will be low. But Chevy Beat looks nice and in other markets it's marketed as Chevrolet Spark

Edited by Laxman

For a "non toyota", "non japanses" car that was launched less than a month ago? I doubt if you could find a good enough number of users at this point to give you an unbiased opinion. Two scenarios;

1. You wouldn't find very many users of the car right now

2. The users who you find will over exaggerate the qualities of the car to justify their own investment decision to ensure market perceptions are positive on the model irrespective of reality

Why not go for a Maruti A star for the same price or cheaper?? given mag city's reputation, I wouldn't trust a 7 year investment with them

yes you are right... do u think maruti A-Star is a good car compared to this 1.2 Ltr beat

http://www.chevrolet.co.in/content_data/AP/IN/en/GBPIN/001/beat-compare.html

and what is the thing about magcity reputation please tell me about it because i do not have a sound idea about there services and all..

please give me you thoughts on these

thanks

To expect to recover your investment AFTER paying a loan for 7 years is IMHO a bit naive.

Especially for a car such as this. Also with the amount of new cars coming to SL and if the GOSL maintains the tax levels as they are now, we will start to see depreciation levels of most vehicles the way we see in EU and US.

The reason many cars retained value in SL in the past was due to the high taxes and the low import levels. Now that is not there, we will see newer models coming down regularly, making earlier models rather redundant and worthless to many car buyers.

Once the die hard car sellers who are still holding on to the pipe dreams of selling their AE110 for 2.5 million gives up the car market as we know will change forever.

No experience personally with MagCity service but have heard many many horror stories. Also a friend of mine went to replace his MAF in a N16 and they refused to do it since he didn't buy it from them. Poor bugger came to my place and we popped it in within 5 minutes.

MagCity is there to suck up the clueless car buyers who gets impressed by the bells and whistles they offer.

But please, don;t let us stop you, please buy the car, pay the loan for 7 years and see if you can recover all the money.

Let us know how it goes... :)

Edited by VVTi

Very interesting car Shiran K,

I personally had my eyes on one I also started a forum about this car,

I also don't think there are many uses currently as it was launched just 2 weeks ago,

not enough time for anyone to bring one down,

Same engine trans was found in the u-va So ask some one who uses one (doctors bought it).

I changed my mind because of the fluctuating market prices,

Can't predict anything in sl now

Yet if the pics say a 1000 words its a great car if u'r using it for 7yrs

Very interesting car Shiran K,

I personally had my eyes on one I also started a forum about this car,

I also don't think there are many uses currently as it was launched just 2 weeks ago,

not enough time for anyone to bring one down,

Same engine trans was found in the u-va So ask some one who uses one (doctors bought it).

I changed my mind because of the fluctuating market prices,

Can't predict anything in sl now

Yet if the pics say a 1000 words its a great car if u'r using it for 7yrs

Dude, u might be really loving this car to start a forum on it! when an average person would have just started a topic :P

Dude, u might be really loving this car to start a forum on it! when an average person would have just started a topic :P

I love this car alright better than other small cars in it's class

Yep I started a topic in AL not a forum pls excuse my mistake

I was planing to buy it as an spare car yet due to the unpredictable market values its hard to allocate more cash on wheels

I was planing to buy it as an spare car yet due to the unpredictable market values its hard to allocate more cash on wheels

Indian GM fan boys? bwahahahahahaha.

If you are going to bullshit atleast do it in style like saying you were looking at buying a DB9 or a bugatti as a spare car. Have some standards dude!

Edited by jdnet

Indian GM fan boys? bwahahahahahaha.

If you are going to bullshit atleast do it in style like saying you were looking at buying a DB9 or a bugatti as a spare car. Have some standards dude!

:lol:

I wonder why some of the indian fords have not hit the SL Market when GM chevoret is being represented. IMHO i think fords have been in the market in india for much longer and definetly would have better quality vehicles to offer (comparatively)

Well there is a new ford dealership bieng setup currently next to the mitsubishi on union place. So I'm going to tajke a wild guess that the would be dealing with indian Ford vehicles.

I have already booked a beat from magcity and it will be delivered in mid april.

One of my family friends in india is using a chevrolet beat for the last year and he said its a good comfortable car and gives better petrol consumption.

Thats the reason I ordered the chevrolet beat.

• 2 weeks later...

@Shiran,

You couldn't expect to get well balanced comments about Chevy Beat from Sri Lankan ppl, cause still Sri Lankans doesn't got any chance to drive a Chevy Beat in SL. The reason is Chevy Beat's first SL bound shipment is due to arrive in SL in end of the next month (March). So if you want to research about Chevy Beat, to take the final decision, just jump into the Google and search "Chevrolet Beat review", you could find tons of reviews about Chevy Beat in India.

Apart from that, GM going to introduce Chevy Beat to the United States in this year cause its huge success around the world, and it is one of the concept car introduce in New York in 2007 went to production without any significant alteration.

So in my opinion Chevy Beat is a great choice in the compact car segment, and you will be proud about your decision in future for sure.

Edited by dulantha

I have already booked a beat from magcity and it will be delivered in mid april.

One of my family friends in india is using a chevrolet beat for the last year and he said its a good comfortable car and gives better petrol consumption.

Thats the reason I ordered the chevrolet beat.

How much you have to spend for your Beat with tax, and what was the color you choose?

well as i went in and asked the guys there it was around 1.99 ML with VAT - they advertise 1.77Mil on newspapers, i think the 1.3LT model will cost more that 1Ltr LS model which is coming down to SL.. also i checked out with my brother in Aussie they sell this same car as Holden Barina Spark and this car is based on the Daewoo Matiz Platform.. so i see that in future the car will depreciated fast

@Shiran,

Daewoo is a brand of GM just as "Pontiac", "Chevrolet", and etc. Due to Daewoo brand's popularity in the South Korea GM introduced Chevy Beat to South Korea under the name plate of Daewoo. However, Beat is doesn't based on Daewoo Martiz platform, its based on GM Gamma II platform (Gamma II platform is the universal platform of the all compact cars of the GM from 2010). So I couldn't see any unusual depriciation of Chevy Beat in the future, but for sure just like the other cars Chevy Beat also will depriciate in the time being, cause there are no car in the world could retain the original value for years.

Other thing is Chevy Beat's all models coming with same S-Tec II 1.2 engine. There are no difference between engines and technology in PS, LS & LT. Only differences you can see in the fancy options like Roof Railings. As far as I know you can order any of the above versions as your wish, so if you want to buy a PS (basic version) you can order it, if you want to buy a LT (top end version) you can order it too, cause one of my cousin brother ordered the Chevy Beat's LT version. I too like to buy the Chevy Beat, but I ordered the Micro Trend LC (Geely) in December and it delivared to me on last week. So I have to stick with my Micro Trend LC since it also a good & handy machine to drive around.

So Shiran my advice to you is do your home work well, and think out of the box then get the decision, why I am saying like that is as I understood you even didn't aware of that Chevy Beat's all versions using the same engine as the top end version of the Chevy Beat.

Edited by dulantha