• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 406 Or Corolla 121

dayal

Hi Experts,

I am wondering whether 121 worths additinal 1 Million I have to pay for it when I compare the prices of these two. I have heared that 406 maintenance is expensive but dont know how expensive. I am wondering whether it would cost a fortune if I have to replace a part or two. I have heared that 406 fuel consumprion is about 7-8KmPl in Colombo but dont know whether its true.

I am thinking to buy a 406 Executive - YOM 2000 - 2.0 Petrol car and fee like its worth for the price I pay due to Luxury, Looks, Handling, Stability when speeding etc.

Experts please advice me. Would this be a good choice. What would be the expected rough annual maintenance cost.

Thanks a Lot.

You will never be able to reach a conclusion based on the replies to this post. There are plenty of Pro Corolla and Pro 406 fans here and both parties will put their points. There will also be lots of openions and theories of longer terms costs and benefits etc of both and you will end up where you are now. So you better buy the one that you have your heart and mind with ;)

You will never be able to reach a conclusion based on the replies to this post. There are plenty of Pro Corolla and Pro 406 fans here and both parties will put their points. There will also be lots of openions and theories of longer terms costs and benefits etc of both and you will end up where you are now. So you better buy the one that you have your heart and mind with ;)

+1

Hi Experts,

I am wondering whether 121 worths additinal 1 Million I have to pay for it when I compare the prices of these two. I have heared that 406 maintenance is expensive but dont know how expensive. I am wondering whether it would cost a fortune if I have to replace a part or two. I have heared that 406 fuel consumprion is about 7-8KmPl in Colombo but dont know whether its true.

I am thinking to buy a 406 Executive - YOM 2000 - 2.0 Petrol car and fee like its worth for the price I pay due to Luxury, Looks, Handling, Stability when speeding etc.

Experts please advice me. Would this be a good choice. What would be the expected rough annual maintenance cost.

Thanks a Lot.

Depends on your requirements. If you are more prefered to fuel economy, then 121 is the suiting vehicle for you.

But, if you are more considering about driving pleasure, stability, comfort, prestige, value for money factor, then definitely the 406 will be the most suiting option for you. Harshansenadhir is the best person to advice you on 406 :) .

Hi Experts,

Thanks a Lot.

If you ask me whether is it worth the additional 1 million, I would say no straight. Invest that 1 mil on some real investment rather than "investing" on a car like some people advises and "use" the vehicle. Compared to junk spares you find in Delkanda, maintaining a 406 is expensive but if you compare the prices of original/high quality spares then there's not much of a difference between maintenance costs of a 121 and a 406. I can't exactly tell you how much your annual maintenance cost would be, as it depends on lot of parameters. if you need mine for the 2009-2010, it was around 100k

Starter motor(brand new valeo with warranty) - 24,000

Gear links - 8,000

Front lower arm bushes - 2,750 each

Set of Tires - 37,000

about 4 services (oil + filter) - 17,600

air cleaner - 1,200

All depends on what you need the car for.

Pls bear in mind that these two models you are trying to compare are totally

in two different leagues.

They both have good things in their respective ways.

So I would recommend first you focus exactly what you need this car for..

Good luck

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the comments, it really helps. My biggest concern is on spare parts. Do we have places to by spare parts except from CAR Ma*t ? And how is the quality and availability. Do we get them in shops in Panchikawatta as well ? And do we have reliable places\experts to get things done without depending on agents service.

Thanks a Lot.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the comments, it really helps. My biggest concern is on spare parts. Do we have places to by spare parts except from CAR Ma*t ? And how is the quality and availability. Do we get them in shops in Panchikawatta as well ? And do we have reliable places\experts to get things done without depending on agents service.

Thanks a Lot.

Never was an issue for me in the ownership of more than 4 years. I've never bought from agents except couple of sensors and some small bits and pieces which other suppliers in panchikawatta don't store. There are about 5 players in Panchikawatta and Colombo except agents whom bring down and store spare parts and body parts. Apart from them, there are individuals whom bring down spares and body parts time to time. If not for all of them, there are few guys whom are frequenting between Colombo and Singapore and they do supply spares within a matter of 2 days. The most expensive part I've replaced in last year was the Starter motor and it was a half a day job.

Hi All,

Thanks a Lot.

if you are in or around colombo finding spare parts (maintenance) will not be a problem; of course if you have an accident and need to find body parts then it may mean more work than a trip to delkanda :)

and general consensus with carmart work is that outside places are more reliable :)

however before buying it's worth to get it checked with the diagnostics system at carmart...

also I don't know if you are considering the facelifted 406 (D9) or the pre-facelift (D8); but in case it's the D9 then the automatic transmission is known to give grief (some solenoids fail; but if they have been replaced with the newer solenoids it should be OK). anyway do your due diligence on this if you are getting a D9 auto.

and put the million bucks that you save on the purchase price on the stock market and you can earn profits more than enough to offset additional fuel costs :D

Hi Experts,

Thanks a Lot.

406 has a high maintainance cost but if you are not worried about the maintainence cost and the resale value then that might be the car of your choice.

There is a corolla luxel 122 and that is different to a normal 121 coz that comes with a 1.8 litre engine(JDM MODEL) and does superb on fuel in and out of the city and good to drive. I am saying this because i am using it and so do some of my friends bro. Its upto you and your choice so go for the one which you think is good man.

406 has a high maintainance cost but if you are not worried about the maintainence cost and the resale value then that might be the car of your choice.

There is a corolla luxel 122 and that is different to a normal 121 coz that comes with a 1.8 litre engine(JDM MODEL) and does superb on fuel in and out of the city and good to drive. I am saying this because i am using it and so do some of my friends bro. Its upto you and your choice so go for the one which you think is good man.

Ah there we go, was wondering when one of the Toyo-heads would land and start polluting this thread with their "wisdom"... :rolleyes:

Ah there we go, was wondering when one of the Toyo-heads would land and start polluting this thread with their "wisdom"... :rolleyes:

Apparently Toyo fans in their infinite wisdom think that Euro's are bad :rolleyes:

Toyo is good, they make great tires :) Toyota is what makes boring cars

@dayal - If I was given the choice, I'd go for a 406, it's just unarguably a better car. And what you save in the process could be invested, in the end making your cost of ownership less when it's time to sell the car. What Toyota fans don't realize is that not only fuel costs money, the car itself is nearly 1M more expensive.

@dayal - If I was given the choice, I'd go for a 406, it's just unarguably a better car. And what you save in the process could be invested, in the end making your cost of ownership less when it's time to sell the car. What Toyota fans don't realize is that not only fuel costs money, the car itself is nearly 1M more expensive.

That is what we meant ;)

Just a rough calculation proves that one should do in excess of 200,000 KM in order to obtain the additional benefit associated with the marginal fuel efficiency of the 121 (excl. oppurtunity cost of interest income earnings). Given the fact that an average daily runner does abt 1,000 Km a month its about 16 yrs of usage to just to justify the increment. Unless you go and land ur self with an absolute lemon, you saving the 1 million would be the best option

Just a rough calculation proves that one should do in excess of 200,000 KM in order to obtain the additional benefit associated with the marginal fuel efficiency of the 121 (excl. oppurtunity cost of interest income earnings). Given the fact that an average daily runner does abt 1,000 Km a month its about 16 yrs of usage to just to justify the increment. Unless you go and land ur self with an absolute lemon, you saving the 1 million would be the best option

While I also agree that a 406 is a better choice (esp. as the OP cares about comfort, looks, handling, etc), this kind of calculation is correct only if the car is used until it dies. If we consider a more likely scenario of selling the car in few years, it will be possible to recover some of the 1m premium paid for the 121.

I've not seen people let cars die in SL, they do heart transplants or whatever they can and try to save/sell it off right? :)

Yes it may be possible to recover some part of the 1M, that's what all Toyota buyers are hoping or sometimes to even make a profit, but under these new circumstances and influx of many new vehicles under low tax which are competing with the old 121s, not sure how much they'll hold up their over-inflated prices. As for the 406, they've depreciated quite a lot and seem more stable, not to mention the 406 buyer would have more than 1M left when selling it if invested properly.

Seems my intended reply has been given by many in different form. I wonder these fan boys would get the message.

Expensive to maintain, yeah right. Compared to the junk/used spares, YES by all means, maintaining Euros is expensive.

Comment after checking the prices from agents or genuine stuff, not thaiwan after-markets or junk spares please.

I bought the genuine starter motor brand new for 24,000/- with 06 months warranty now beat it.