• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Changing To Havoline Engine Oil

Thanushka

Hi all,

I'm planning to change from Lanka Super to Havoline. My car is a 1996 Mazda BG3P. Some say it is not good to change due to anti-deposit components in Havoline causing damage to already seasoned engine. Is it true?

Hi all,

I'm planning to change from Lanka Super to Havoline. My car is a 1996 Mazda BG3P. Some say it is not good to change due to anti-deposit components in Havoline causing damage to already seasoned engine. Is it true?

Mechanic once told Lan** is good enough. But Mob** is recognized best for Performance.

There's nothing wrong with switching brands of engine oil. I do it all the time. I use mobil (non-syn), castrol GTX or havoline, whatever is cheaper or I get a free bottle of windshield cleaner on :). Now if you were talking about something like changing from dino oil to synthethic on a high mileage engine with leaks, that's a whole different story. I would bet you anything that these guys who bring up these things about switching brands could not for the life of them provide actual proof.

Why do you want to change brands?

Bcoz I feels like Engines with Synthetic oil runs much smoother then non-Synthetic ones. I have experienced this with my fathers car, but taught of having an advice before changing.

There's nothing wrong with switching brands of engine oil. I do it all the time. I use mobil (non-syn), castrol GTX or havoline, whatever is cheaper or I get a free bottle of windshield cleaner on :). Now if you were talking about something like changing from dino oil to synthethic on a high mileage engine with leaks, that's a whole different story. I would bet you anything that these guys who bring up these things about switching brands could not for the life of them provide actual proof.

Hi Machan,

I heard abt the Oil leaks you have mentioned but I didn't get it. Are these oil leaks means the oil drops from the engine, which you may find in the ground once parked the vehicle for several hours?

Hi Machan,

I heard abt the Oil leaks you have mentioned but I didn't get it. Are these oil leaks means the oil drops from the engine, which you may find in the ground once parked the vehicle for several hours?

Yes. He means it. Way of finding whether you have leaks is inspecting parking place for

any oil drippings. Causes are bad Oil Seals, Head Gaskets.

Better you don't have such.

BTW. Doesn't Lan** have Synthetic?

Hi Machan,

Internal, external. Basically if you notice a significant drop in the level on the oil stick you are losing oil. Synthetic oil will leak faster than dino oil on older engines in which the seals and gaskets have swelled due to the dino oil, thus reinforcing them. Basically synthethic has more additives that will clean things up and thus causing leaks, also the molecule size is a lot smaller and IIRC all most molecules are the same size, where as in dino oil you have a mix of sizes and less additives, thus hindering the chance of a leak. Eitherway the whole dino-syn argument is quite lage and most of it is not based on actual facts, you can run a search here for info on that, I'm pretty sure there should be plenty of threads.

Long story short, if the engine doesn't leak and the mileage isn't extraordinary, then changing to syn is fine, if it does, then stay with dino.

Also you may want to consider te fact that synthetic costs some where around 6500 for a 4l can of mobil on vs. 2500 for a can of mobil dino oil.

Unless your manual explicitly calls for synthethic you are better off (financially) stick with dino on older cars and make sure you change the oil and filter on time. Use the money you save on doing other much needed repairs on your car.

Well apart from cost- I really don't see why one would want to change oils if the engine is running fine. In semi-synth & minerals I guess it wont make much of a difference. But when it comes to fully-synth, there definitely is a difference between brands and viscosity.

Well apart from cost- I really don't see why one would want to change oils if the engine is running fine. In semi-synth & minerals I guess it wont make much of a difference. But when it comes to fully-synth, there definitely is a difference between brands and viscosity.

Yeah I didn't know he was talking about switching to synthetic in my first post. But on the tpoic of switching between dino oils, there haven't been any issues between switching brands. On semi-synthetic, I really don't know as I haven't trie it out, although I must say that logically there should not be a middle ground in oil. If you wanted semi synthetic it's basically like getting a can of dino oil and then mixing it with a can of synthetic oil. It doesn't make much sense.

Edited by jdnet

I'm planning to use Havoline, I don't think there were hutch cost difference(as I checked during my last service it's around 2000 for 4l's). Anyway thanks for all Ur advices and I'll think again abt all your advises again.

I'm planning to use Havoline, I don't think there were hutch cost difference(as I checked during my last service it's around 2000 for 4l's). Anyway thanks for all Ur advices and I'll think again abt all your advises again.

2000 for fully synthetic? that can't Doesn't the conventional 4l can cost 1900?

2000 for fully synthetic? that can't Doesn't the conventional 4l can cost 1900?

Not sure mate. May be my memory is not correct. 2000 is the different in cost of 2 types.

Edited by Thanushka