• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bigger Rear Tyres

nazly

What are the pros/cons in using a slightly wider rear tyres?

Mine is a Nissan March K11. On my previous K11 I had 185x60x14 tyre size without any issues..

Will be upgrading my tyres on my new K11 soon and thought of using a slighly wider tyre only for the rear (195x60x14) just for the look of it. Front will be 185x60x14.

Didn't think of going for the wider option for the front since it might hit the walls while turning. Just think it might...

What are the pros/cons in using a slightly wider rear tyres?

Mine is a Nissan March K11. On my previous K11 I had 185x60x14 tyre size without any issues..

Will be upgrading my tyres on my new K11 soon and thought of using a slighly wider tyre only for the rear (195x60x14) just for the look of it. Front will be 185x60x14.

Didn't think of going for the wider option for the front since it might hit the walls while turning. Just think it might...

No issue except that it might cause bit badly on fuel economy.

BTW. Is this "size 14" standard on K11 or after market?

Cons

Bad weight distribution

You will look like a douche doing that to a march

You can't rotate your tires

Well the difference is very minimal so I guess it won't look bad after all.

Point taken about bad weight distribution when using different tyre sizes for front/rear..

How does rotating tyres affect when the wider tyres are on the rear side..?

As I said I had all four on 185x60x14 on my previous K11 for closer to two years without any issues.. This time I just want to put 195x60x14 only on the rear.

Well the difference is very minimal so I guess it won't look bad after all.

Point taken about bad weight distribution when using different tyre sizes for front/rear..

How does rotating tyres affect when the wider tyres are on the rear side..?

As I said I had all four on 185x60x14 on my previous K11 for closer to two years without any issues.. This time I just want to put 195x60x14 only on the rear.

Anyway, though you tell "..two years without any issues...", it affect to wrong indication on speedo meter & genuine millage.

So 1st wrong thing you have done is make tire size large.

And also, regarding the new change you gonna do, I would advice you don't do it unless if you really want. Because ultimately it might be altered tire size + uneven width in front & rear. :angry:

its widely accepted that the staggered set up is a fail.....if its an aggressive stance ur after.....consider just bigger wheels all around and mabye lowering ur ride.....

Anyway, though you tell "..two years without any issues...", it affect to wrong indication on speedo meter & genuine millage.

So 1st wrong thing you have done is make tire size large.

And also, regarding the new change you gonna do, I would advice you don't do it unless if you really want. Because ultimately it might be altered tire size + uneven width in front & rear. :angry:

agree.. "without issues" I meant to say I didn't have any issues such as tyre hitting the inner car walls, other damages etc.. wrong indication of speedo meter & genuine millage is anyway a case when you change the tyre sizes. Sorry for misleading..

Seems I will stick to same tyre sizes for all wheels.

Thanks for the advice to both jdnet and Uditha88

its widely accepted that the staggered set up is a fail.....if its an aggressive stance ur after.....consider just bigger wheels all around and mabye lowering ur ride.....

the 185x60x14 option is something I have tested and has worked for me well.

low profiles is out of the equation for me since it might reduce the ride comfort..

Thanks..

Why do you want to put larger rear tires on a Front wheel drive car?

As I said in my original post, its just for the look of it.. But according to everyone, it seems pointless and might have some effect on the car.

Thanks for the feedback..

its widely accepted that the staggered set up is a fail.....

You're mistaken. Most of the high end RWD cars (or sports cars) have a staggered setup, from the factory. BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes to name a few. Even the car I have now has staggered rims (not just the tires). It's useless on the AWD ot a FWD. But on a march I would say it's useless and even cause unwanted problems in ride and handling.

This is how you run a staggered setup on a FWD

civico.jpg

Edited by madmax

You're mistaken. Most of the high end RWD cars (or sports cars) have a staggered setup, from the factory. BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes to name a few. Even the car I have now has staggered rims (not just the tires). It's useless on the AWD ot a FWD. But on a march I would say it's useless and even cause unwanted problems in ride and handling.

This is how you run a staggered setup on a FWD

civico.jpg

agreed....what i meant is, as u have said, it is a fail as a modification on a car that wouldn't benefit from it [a FWD, a March].................should have phrased it properly, apologies!

As I said in my original post, its just for the look of it.. But according to everyone, it seems pointless and might have some effect on the car.

Actually it does have an effect, a negative one that is. We tried the same thing on our march cause my mom wanted to :rolleyes:

Didnt turn out be that bad in terms of looks but when fully loaded with passengers the rear wheels started hitting the the wheel arch's and it was a real pain going over bumps. Also since there was too much grip it took a stab at fuel economy as well.

If really want to change the way the tires look the best thing to do is use to use low profile tyres, again there will be problems because of this but much better than using wider tyres :alc:

Wouldn't work even for the look. Unless you want to impress some girl who knows nothing about cars, anyone who knows about cars will wonder what sorta person puts larger rear wheels on a fwd car. And I mean finding the kinda girl who will say "my dad has a white car" if you ask her what her dad drives.

Wouldn't work even for the look. Unless you want to impress some girl who knows nothing about cars, anyone who knows about cars will wonder what sorta person puts larger rear wheels on a fwd car. And I mean finding the kinda girl who will say "my dad has a white car" if you ask her what her dad drives.

lol :lol:

Well, Peri, people do put outrageously 'aerodynamic' rear spoilers on FWD cars... :) To hold those non-powered rear wheels down for more grip...... or to push the car easily when broken down or out fuel.

Also, a little girl who has no clue about cars will definitely not know the difference between tire sizes, let alone the drive layout.... :)

I had a freind who scored big time with little tartlets who thought he drove a Jag... when in fact he drove a Sonata.

Now that my freind is skill.... or just being picky on who you lay... ;)

• Like 1

Extra stress to the engine. It has to work hard to overcome the friction.

that doesn't make sense... it is because of the friction between the tyre and the road that the car moves at all; less friction would mean more slipping

that doesn't make sense... it is because of the friction between the tyre and the road that the car moves at all; less friction would mean more slipping

Think of it like this, manufacturer has decided this tire size for this particular vehicle after

lots of experiments & with respective all mechanics, weight.

So manufacture recontamination is ideal. Means No more friction & no more slipping too.

Bot making it even more width, alter it badly & you talented than Nissan or Toyota or whichever automobile engineers...

Slipping might be bcoz of worn tires. Not because narrow tires.

Edited by Uditha88
  • Like 1

Well, Peri, people do put outrageously 'aerodynamic' rear spoilers on FWD cars... :) To hold those non-powered rear wheels down for more grip...... or to push the car easily when broken down or out fuel.

Also, a little girl who has no clue about cars will definitely not know the difference between tire sizes, let alone the drive layout.... :)

I had a freind who scored big time with little tartlets who thought he drove a Jag... when in fact he drove a Sonata.

Now that my freind is skill.... or just being picky on who you lay... ;)

like honda civic :lol:

Think of it like this, manufacturer has decided this tire size for this particular vehicle after

lots of experiments & with respective all mechanics, weight.

So manufacture recontamination is ideal. Means No more friction & no more slipping too.

Bot making it even more width, alter it badly & you talented than Nissan or Toyota or whichever automobile engineers...

Slipping might be bcoz of worn tires. Not because narrow tires.

I get that manufacturers recommend particular tyre sizes for certain reasons; what I don't get is, why is a tyre with more grip bad for fuel consumption?

• Like 1