• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mileage & Digital Meters

Gyiman

With mileage being tampered with even with vehicles using digital meters, is there anyway to check if it is genuine?

Thanks

Yeah, if the vehicle has a good service history. :) But that might not mean anything either, cause some owners plan ahead and change the meters before doing anything to the vehicle.

With mileage being tampered with even with vehicles using digital meters, is there anyway to check if it is genuine?

Thanks

sorry mate i don't think there is a way to check it, unless you have the service history from the brand new position..just do a good checkup of the engine and be satisfied yourself that your vehicle's engine is functioning good... :D

if you do a full checkup from the agent before buying any second hand vehicle then you can gather corroborative evidence as to whether mileage is different or not. that's about as close as you can get. nissan full checkup costed only 2,400 an year ago. that's peanuts. i really suggest anyone to get a checkup done through agent before buying a 2nd hand vehicle.

Isuru, you might be correct to a certain extent, but really the agents don't have a crystal ball and to be honest how a car ages is also down to maintenance.

personally I would not rely on the mileage at all. I'll just concentrate on getting a car in good condition.

Thanks

Gyiman',

Yes any digital meter can be checked by a Digital meter repairer if the meter is adjusted or not.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

if you do a full checkup from the agent before buying any second hand vehicle then you can gather corroborative evidence as to whether mileage is different or not. that's about as close as you can get. nissan full checkup costed only 2,400 an year ago. that's peanuts. i really suggest anyone to get a checkup done through agent before buying a 2nd hand vehicle.

The agents keep info only if the car was maintained there now isn't it? Only a fraction of the cars get maintained at the agents.

If your referring to a full body/technical check up, I have very little faith in them. I know of an incident where an agent gave the green light and a person bought a car and the rear suspension system collapsed on their way home. The agents washed their hands saying the shocks/struts were not included with the inspection agreement. (an incident away from SL but could be applicable) Care to elaborate on what aspects the dealers touch on these inspections? Body/Frame damage, chassis cracks, compression, brakes, oil leaks?

The way to get about this issue is pure judgement in my opinion. Vehicle condition and mileage usually has an inverse relationship. But in response to the question by the OP, Yes digital ODO meters are tampered in SL and No there isn't a possible way to check it, as some members mentioned going about service records is the best way but not many blokes maintain them either. Unregistered cars undergo tampering more often than registered ones, for better marker value.

Use your judgement, look for a legit owner and consider a car that reflects its age and mileage.

Mileage wouldn't really matter if the car looks to be in good shape isnt it ?

If the car is in tip top condition and you are certain that the previous owner or seller knows how to take care of her.Most of the old bimmers and mercs i see are in better shape than new cars.

one of the easiest ways to find out if the previous owner knows about cars and did regular maintenance would be asking him some questions like the engine model and type of ATF oil etc. if he is clueless chances are he doesnt know much about maintaining a car and would ignore most of the rattles and problems until they became a major issue.

You can tell a lot about the car by judging the owner of the car :alc:

• Like 1

Just try to buy a vehicle from someone who u can trust,

and u can calculate the annual mileage from the owners home place of work, number of children, how many vehicles he has ect....

some times the condition only can't tell the millage,

car sales bring down vehicles having 100k+ on the odo change it to 8k paint polish detail it to look better than a genuine 20k brand new bought car and sell it for more.

The agents keep info only if the car was maintained there now isn't it? Only a fraction of the cars get maintained at the agents.

If your referring to a full body/technical check up, I have very little faith in them. I know of an incident where an agent gave the green light and a person bought a car and the rear suspension system collapsed on their way home. The agents washed their hands saying the shocks/struts were not included with the inspection agreement. (an incident away from SL but could be applicable) Care to elaborate on what aspects the dealers touch on these inspections? Body/Frame damage, chassis cracks, compression, brakes, oil leaks?

The way to get about this issue is pure judgement in my opinion. Vehicle condition and mileage usually has an inverse relationship. But in response to the question by the OP, Yes digital ODO meters are tampered in SL and No there isn't a possible way to check it, as some members mentioned going about service records is the best way but not many blokes maintain them either. Unregistered cars undergo tampering more often than registered ones, for better marker value.

Use your judgement, look for a legit owner and consider a car that reflects its age and mileage.

i think i made it clear agent check-up is NOT a definitive solution as i very clearly noted that it can only serve as a coroborrative evidence.

bdw my nissan check-up included checking for suspension too. i can't remember whether it was documented that they check for suspnsion but you can always push the mechanic/engineer who inspect the vehicle after putting on the hoist and the chap who does the test run to give feedback about suspension. if there's something major wrong then i think they should be able to tell you.

How would they do that?

'Big_D'

Meter adjusters use a laptop and do the adjusting. I never have had a close look of what they do as it is not my line of service. By examining the removed the odometer from the car any meter adjuster can inform the owner it had been tempered or not.

Originally there was only one computer expert to adjust now their are few meter adjusters in the automobile electronics odometer adjusting business. Original person is the only person who do a correct job with no after complains and he does all programing of the new key system. Extra keys on all high end Automobiles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

We all are first class Citizens in this paradise developing Island one time we were a third world country. Most of our country men try to make quick money by all illegal means by Adjusting odometers and importing old vehicles with false documents under invoicing sub standard consumer goods it is very difficult to stop this type of activities in our country as a chain of people are involved in this illegal activities.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Big_D'

Meter adjusters use a laptop and do the adjusting. I never have had a close look of what they do as it is not my line of service. By examining the removed the odometer from the car any meter adjuster can inform the owner it had been tempered or not.

Originally there was only one computer expert to adjust now their are few meter adjusters in the automobile electronics odometer adjusting business. Original person is the only person who do a correct job with no after complains and he does all programing of the new key system. Extra keys on all high end Automobiles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I dont know the situation with Jap cars but in euro's this is close to impossible cause they have 2-3 systems which store the mileage data and when one is changed and when the cars on board computer see's an anomaly it usually shows a red light in the dashboard :alc:

'Big_D'

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

So, would you let a potential buyer of your car to remove the meter cluster and check for tampering?

I dont know the situation with Jap cars but in euro's this is close to impossible cause they have 2-3 systems which store the mileage data and when one is changed and when the cars on board computer see's an anomaly it usually shows a red light in the dashboard :alc:

Plagarism Mr. Stig!! ;)

Don't forget all the computers (DME), Immobiliser (EWS) and keys from the donor car. Its pretty difficult to try to match up the EWS and DMS from two cars (not possible in SL - need overseas help) so therefore you will also need all the locks (door / boot / cubby / ignition barrel) from the donor car as well. Also as the diesel is a much heavier car all the suspension from the donor / stabilizer bars / diff / prop shaft ...etc .etc .etc - the list goes on. Probably best to get the meter console and light control module as well. In the E46's the mileage of the car is stored in multiple computers - ie the meters / the light control module / the DME .. and if one of these mismatch a red dot appears on the meters to indicate that the mileage of the car has been tampered with.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

MadMMx

Plagarism Mr. Stig!! ;)

LOL okay then ill give it in Harvard referencing then :P

As MadMMX (2011) explains euro's have 2-3 systems which store the mileage data and when one is changed and when the cars on board computer see's an anomaly it usually shows a red light in the dashboard.

References

MMX Mad 2011 Bmw 320D To 330I Sri Lanka,

Happy ? :P

What I can't beleive is my car odometer was only 15000 km, when I imported it on last October.All the so called documents confirm the milage. It was built in 2007 Oct and has done only 15000 km for 3 years.

I have done 11000 km for last 5 months. :D:D

LOL okay then ill give it in Harvard referencing then :P

As MadMMX (2011) explains euro's have 2-3 systems which store the mileage data and when one is changed and when the cars on board computer see's an anomaly it usually shows a red light in the dashboard.

References

MMX Mad 2011 Bmw 320D To 330I Sri Lanka,

Happy ? :P

Nicely done mate! B)

What I can't beleive is my car odometer was only 15000 km, when I imported it on last October.All the so called documents confirm the milage. It was built in 2007 Oct and has done only 15000 km for 3 years.

I have done 11000 km for last 5 months. :D:D

Well vehicle usage patterns cannot be generalised!