Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

Problem With The Radio


Nishan.dj
 Share

Question

Hello friends,

I have fixed a new radio to my 4DR5 J44 Jeep. The radio is 12V and the vehicle is on 24V. So first I used a 24V - 12V Converter (10Amp) and after fixing it the batteries were getting weak such as if I keep the vehicle idle for 4-5days its hard even to start also. So I throw away the converter (which I bough it from Petta market - 2nd cross street) and connect the radio directly to a one battery (+ wire) and got the (-) from the body. But the problem did not end. I checked and found that when I disconnect the 24 supply by removing the (-) terminal which connects to the body still the current is passing because parking and ceiling lights are working (however the light is very weak). Is this because of a malfunction of the radio? Because everything goes off when I disconnect the radio (+) wire which comes directly from a single battery. If you have any idea please add a reply. Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hello friends,

I have fixed a new radio to my 4DR5 J44 Jeep. The radio is 12V and the vehicle is on 24V. So first I used a 24V - 12V Converter (10Amp) and after fixing it the batteries were getting weak such as if I keep the vehicle idle for 4-5days its hard even to start also. So I throw away the converter (which I bough it from Petta market - 2nd cross street) and connect the radio directly to a one battery (+ wire) and got the (-) from the body. But the problem did not end. I checked and found that when I disconnect the 24 supply by removing the (-) terminal which connects to the body still the current is passing because parking and ceiling lights are working (however the light is very weak). Is this because of a malfunction of the radio? Because everything goes off when I disconnect the radio (+) wire which comes directly from a single battery. If you have any idea please add a reply. Thanks in advance.

Is the body of the radio connected to the frame of your car in anyway other than through wires ? if the body of the radio touching the body of your car current could pass through.to verify this take the radio out of the din or mounts and see what happens, make sure the frame of the radio isnt touching the vehicles body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hello friends,

I have fixed a new radio to my 4DR5 J44 Jeep. The radio is 12V and the vehicle is on 24V. So first I used a 24V - 12V Converter (10Amp) and after fixing it the batteries were getting weak such as if I keep the vehicle idle for 4-5days its hard even to start also. So I throw away the converter (which I bough it from Petta market - 2nd cross street) and connect the radio directly to a one battery (+ wire) and got the (-) from the body. But the problem did not end. I checked and found that when I disconnect the 24 supply by removing the (-) terminal which connects to the body still the current is passing because parking and ceiling lights are working (however the light is very weak). Is this because of a malfunction of the radio? Because everything goes off when I disconnect the radio (+) wire which comes directly from a single battery. If you have any idea please add a reply. Thanks in advance.

Bro as said by Stig try removing the Radio from the din mounts and try it. As your dash board is made of made metal,if the body of the radio touches it a negative ground is created. Hence current must be flowing through it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

To stig and Kelum,

Thanks a lot for your advices and I did it which I take the radio out from so that it does not touch any metal or body in anyway. But still the problem exists and the only way to disconnect the current is to disconnect the positive wire (which comes from one battery at the moment). Still I can't imagine what is happening. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

To stig and Kelum,

Thanks a lot for your advices and I did it which I take the radio out from so that it does not touch any metal or body in anyway. But still the problem exists and the only way to disconnect the current is to disconnect the positive wire (which comes from one battery at the moment). Still I can't imagine what is happening. Thanks.

Just to be clear how old is your battery ?

Id say there is something wrong with your wiring then.

also take a look at this and read post 13 and 14 http://forum.autolanka.com/Index.php?/topic/10326-fixing-car-audio/page__p__147322__fromsearch__1#entry147322

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Just to be clear how old is your battery ?

Id say there is something wrong with your wiring then.

also take a look at this and read post 13 and 14 http://forum.autolanka.com/Index.php?/topic/10326-fixing-car-audio/page__p__147322__fromsearch__1#entry147322

The battery is not older than 15 months. Thanks for the link and I think I have to go through it with a multimeter and all. Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi Nishan,

I think there is as open circuit somewhere in your vehicle and the stereo is a red herring. You will need to get your wiring checked by a company like Pala auto electrical.

Don,

Where is pala auto electrical .....i need some electrical stuff sorted out as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Don,

Where is pala auto electrical .....i need some electrical stuff sorted out as well.

Pala Auto is in between orugodawatta junk (after the flyover) and kandy bridge (in the beaseline road),

Personally, I'm not happy with teir charges. To fix my horn they have carged 500 Ruppes (labour charges) (just to replace the Old horn with new once - i bought the new pair of horns outside) I would have fixed it by my self at home, but it happen onmy way to negombo so i had to find a fix somehow.

just get a quotation or show them and ask how much they need before commit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Pala Auto is in between orugodawatta junk (after the flyover) and kandy bridge (in the beaseline road),

Personally, I'm not happy with teir charges. To fix my horn they have carged 500 Ruppes (labour charges) (just to replace the Old horn with new once - i bought the new pair of horns outside) I would have fixed it by my self at home, but it happen onmy way to negombo so i had to find a fix somehow.

just get a quotation or show them and ask how much they need before commit.

This can be so true. Its always good to ask a quotation before handover the vehicle. Thanks for the info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...