• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ps3 Bought In The Us, Will It Work In Sri Lanka

lolmd

I got a PS3 here in the US which is 120 V, and was not sure if it would be worth bringing it back with me to Sri Lanka. I have heard that the PS3 is "dualvolt" and would run without a problem in Sri lanka's 220 V. Has anyone done this and had any problems?

It says only 110 V. But I have heard that sony put that just to discourage people from buying overseas. And I have indian friends who say that they have used it in India. which is also 220V. Just wondering if any Sri Lankans had done the same.

AFAIK the old fat one has dual voltage and the slim does not.

http://gamer.lk/index.php?topic=4282.0

Quote from a GLK user

Add 2.8k for a 250W step down inverter as well, since our power is 220v, and US uses 110V, and NO, the new PS3 slim doesn't come with dual voltage, I just checked mine.

I bought mine from ebay which costed me $342 (shipping inclusive), and I was about to get screwed by customs for the high value it came at. Note that declaring a lower value is illegal in the US. Personal sellers might do it, but certainly not shops or retailers.

Edited by MasterDon

Thanks so much guys. I guess I'll have to exchange my slim model for an older fat one, before bringing it to Sri Lanka :)

err no...Keep the slim.What you need is a voltage converter.costs around 20 dollars on ebay,you can also buy one in SL.

err no...Keep the slim.What you need is a voltage converter.costs around 20 dollars on ebay,you can also buy one in SL.

all so you can use a transformer that convert 230v to 110v

yeah,that's a good option. Do you think that a voltage converter would work for any electrical appliance bought in the US? because then I can also get a small HDTV.

I got a PS3 here in the US which is 120 V, and was not sure if it would be worth bringing it back with me to Sri Lanka. I have heard that the PS3 is "dualvolt" and would run without a problem in Sri lanka's 220 V. Has anyone done this and had any problems?

Definitely keep your slim and bring it down to SL will work fine with a converter. Mines from the US as well and I use it with a converter and have no issues.

Definitely keep your slim and bring it down to SL will work fine with a converter. Mines from the US as well and I use it with a converter and have no issues.

Hi Rae, did you get your converter from the US or from Sri Lanka? The PS3 slim uses 230 W so I will need to get a converter that can handle that wattage right? I saw a lot of different types of converters for sale on e-bay and was wandering which one to get. Sorry abt the stupid questions, but I have very little knowledge of electronic stuff. :unsure:

Hi Rae, did you get your converter from the US or from Sri Lanka? The PS3 slim uses 230 W so I will need to get a converter that can handle that wattage right? I saw a lot of different types of converters for sale on e-bay and was wandering which one to get. Sorry abt the stupid questions, but I have very little knowledge of electronic stuff. :unsure:

watts and volts are too different things machang.

watts is the power that the unit consumes and i would doubt it takes 230watts.

on the packaging or even on the unit itself you should be able to find the wattage rating.

any voltage converter that can handle the conversion from 240 to 110 and also the rated wattage should be fine.

If you'll be staying in SL..i'd say buy the converter from here cos you will get things like warranty and some degree of after sales service.

places like robert agencies should stock them

ACtually mate i bought my converter in london and the one i bought handles up to 250 watts so if you get anything that can handle 230 that's all you need.

Ripper mate the wattage is 230 for the ps3 slim well for my one it is. The conversion is written in the manual for the console.

yeah,that's a good option. Do you think that a voltage converter would work for any electrical appliance bought in the US? because then I can also get a small HDTV.

yup im using a PS2 bought from the US i jus got a converter from a local shop here $16 approx and plugged it on. no problems since 08

watts and volts are too different things machang.

watts is the power that the unit consumes and i would doubt it takes 230watts.

on the packaging or even on the unit itself you should be able to find the wattage rating.

any voltage converter that can handle the conversion from 240 to 110 and also the rated wattage should be fine.

If you'll be staying in SL..i'd say buy the converter from here cos you will get things like warranty and some degree of after sales service.

places like robert agencies should stock them

Yeah, I think the safest thing to do would be to buy it in SL. I remember Robert agencies now, thanks for the tip.

I was surprised about the watts for the PS3 myself, but it does say 230 W on the manual and it does get fairly hot after playing for a while. I have also seen a couple of videos on youtube where some guy plugs in the PS3 slim from the US directly into a 220 v power supply in europe or latin America and it works fine. But, I think I'll play it safe and use a converter :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

i have a Xbox 360 Slim and its also from USA.

and it also have the 120 V power supply,it wont work in 220 V power but u can buy a conveter it convete 220 to 120

If it's a slim then i can safely say it will work here. My cuz got one down from US and although it says 120v 2A in the back it works without any problem.

If it's a slim then i can safely say it will work here. My cuz got one down from US and although it says 120v 2A in the back it works without any problem.

Thats got to be the most retarded statement ever ! ! ! :action-smiley-060:

It may work, but why take a chance? Probably the transformer stage has a fuse so if you go over 110v it will either work (if it's actually an universal supply in disguise) or blow the fuse. But if you can't get to the fuse without opening the machine up then you'll be in trouble (violating warranty, etc).

So like the others suggested, just get a convertor (Actually, look for a "step down transformer") which will allow you to use our 230v on your 110v product. Please don't buy any random chinese junk that you find on e-bay because I know of more than a few cases of them catching fire and damaging the equipment as well (keep in mind for your HDTV, if you decide to bring it down). Also, don't EVER plug those in to a power strip/extesion cord but only directly in to the wall socket.

As for the 230w question, it more of less means nothing. Wattage is a measure of heat, you don't really draw "watts" out of a wall socket. What you'd need to look at is the amperage. Someone said 110v 2A so that will work fine with any of the (decent) transformers you find. Your TV will probably be rated around the same. If you're in the US you can find what you're looking for at Home Depot or Lowes, or order off the web after checking the reviews.

It's universal. Will work in 100-240v - http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-3-Slim-Teardown/1121/1

Thanks for the info. That's precisely what I heard too. I wonder why Sony did that.

It may work, but why take a chance? Probably the transformer stage has a fuse so if you go over 110v it will either work (if it's actually an universal supply in disguise) or blow the fuse. But if you can't get to the fuse without opening the machine up then you'll be in trouble (violating warranty, etc).

So like the others suggested, just get a convertor (Actually, look for a "step down transformer") which will allow you to use our 230v on your 110v product. Please don't buy any random chinese junk that you find on e-bay because I know of more than a few cases of them catching fire and damaging the equipment as well (keep in mind for your HDTV, if you decide to bring it down). Also, don't EVER plug those in to a power strip/extesion cord but only directly in to the wall socket.

As for the 230w question, it more of less means nothing. Wattage is a measure of heat, you don't really draw "watts" out of a wall socket. What you'd need to look at is the amperage. Someone said 110v 2A so that will work fine with any of the (decent) transformers you find. Your TV will probably be rated around the same. If you're in the US you can find what you're looking for at Home Depot or Lowes, or order off the web after checking the reviews.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.