• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Heat Meter Not Working

mensoft

Question

Hi Friends ,

Water_temperature_sensor_for_KIA.jpg

I Relapsed the heat sensor two times but my car heat meter is not working.

but when i disconnect the wire and earth to the car body (-) meter is working . so i guess its a issue with the sensor. but even i change the sensor the meter is not working . i run the car very long distance i know water is also boiling . engine also hot but little even meter not working.

and as a second option we made a hole in water line and installed a new sensor . smiler like this one.

Eg : -

p4.jpg

but that also not workout.

Then i check all the sensors with a bulb attached to the sensor. (sorry if this is not a good method . i don't have a multi meter)

sensor.jpg

when the sensor getting heat bulb is working and its getting off when it get cool.

So all the sensors are fine ??????

and meter also works when earth to (-) ?????

can some one help me please :( this all i tried but still i didn't get a solution . my heat meter not working . please advice .

5 answers to this question

Hi Friends ,

but when i disconnect the wire and earth to the car body (-) meter is working . so i guess its a issue with the sensor. but even i change the sensor the meter is not working . i run the car very long distance i know water is also boiling . engine also hot but little even meter not working.

and as a second option we made a hole in water line and installed a new sensor . smiler like this one.

p4.jpg

Then i check all the sensors with a bulb attached to the sensor. (sorry if this is not a good method . i don't have a multi meter)

sensor.jpg

when the sensor getting heat bulb is working and its getting off when it get cool.

can some one help me please :( this all i tried but still i didn't get a solution . my heat meter not working . please advice .

You have to understand that the temp meter is responding to the amount of the current passing through the sensor. If the sensor is getting got, the amount of the current passing through the sensor will increase. If the sensor passing more current mean the temp meter raises more. mostly your temp meter should be malfunctioning, cause it seems to be respond only to the current flow without any resistance (you state that the meter is working when the earth to the car body (-))

So.. my idea is check the temp meter mechanism/circuit rather than worrying about the sensor...

Hi Friends ,

p4.jpg

sensor.jpg

Check the (-) supply/connection to the engine from the battery. As engine is detached from the body through engine mounts (detached for a current to pass I meant), there's a separate (-) ve supply given/attached to the housing of the engine.

Check whether this point is corroded or broken and alternatively provide another (-)ve supply to the engine housing and repeat your tests.

If it also fails, I'd point my finger at the meter cluster. Good luck with the diagnosis.

Edited by harshansenadhir

Also, maybe you`ve checked this already, but is the sensor fully compatible with your meter? I mean the sensor must return resistance levels which are readable by temp. meter right?

alternatively provide another (-)ve supply to the engine housing and repeat your tests.

Yes. This is a good Ida . I must try that . and even if fail ??? do i have to relapse the meter ?

(but now even meter is increase when i connect it to (-) )

Thanks.

Yes. This is a good Ida . I must try that . and even if fail ??? do i have to relapse the meter ?

(but now even meter is increase when i connect it to (-) )

Thanks.

meter working when a negative provided alone cannot assure the meter is in perfect working condition. Carry out this test and see whether you're lucky to save the buck for a meter cluster