• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fixing New Lighter/utility Sockets

luckey007

Question

Dear Friends,

I am using a rather old car (Corolla 110)and it has only one lighter socket . I wanna fix few sockets as I have seen in some SUVs cos I need to use two phone chargers (One of them use as a navigator )and a FM modulator . I have seen some after market "multi plugs" can fix in to lighter socket but I don't want compromise my lighter(The other thing after pushing this and that to lighter socket changes the thermostat control ). Experts, please help.Eg.Where can I buy those stuffs, cost (roughly), is it DIY job? etcetera .

PS: I wish to have a good finishing /looks like original :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Whats exactly the shift light? s The name suggests about a timing for gear shift or something. If its so how does it work? what are the inputs. what is this circuit.If its not so whats the shift light and how does it work?

exactly, you set it up to read the pulses in your RPM gauge input and set it to come on at a predetermined RPM so you can shift before it hits the REV limiter. It's usually set a few hundred rpms below your limit to allow for time to shift. Useful when you want to concentrate on your driving rather than watching the tach, a light coming on at the corner of your eye is a nice indicator to either get off or shift!

Yeah, you can directly get it off the fuse box using a fuse tap or off the acc/on side of the ignition with an inline fuse.

Here's what I did with my last project, I installed terminal strips so I can get all the power I needed off of them without having to tap into power wires multiple times in the future. One of the strips is (+) and one is ground (-). The circuit board you see hanging there was for the shift light that was hidden in the AC vent.

Ahh the terminal strip was smart :D

Funny thing, i actually saw an article on how to install a shift light inside an ac duct in a Z28

http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_pages/sophomore_year/shiftlight_install.htm

Plagiarism perhaps :P

lol yeah I was using a Harlan shift light. Im not the first and am def not the last. Unlike the article, I took mine apart and extended the wires for the light and mounted the controller somewhere easy to get to when I needed to adjust settings. It's a common mod, but each person does it differently and mounts it differently. Actually, plagiarism in the car modding world is expected and is more or less a complement! haha, hope someone takes my terminal strip idea and rolls with it...

Edited by Mean Green z28

lol yeah I was using a Harlan shift light. Im not the first and am def not the last. Unlike the article, I took mine apart and extended the wires for the light and mounted the controller somewhere easy to get to when I needed to adjust settings. It's a common mod, but each person does it differently and mounts it differently. Actually, plagiarism in the car modding world is expected and is more or less a complement! haha, hope someone takes my terminal strip idea and rolls with it...

Yes yes true,its a joy to see others taking use of your inventions :D

How is the power consumption in those inverters. Will battery drain fast?specially old batteries. Or should we run the engine when it is working.(In a task like charging a laptop)

well obviously dont use them while the engine is turned off

And what mean green is using is a 120v inverter, we need a 240v one here

Edited by The Stig

Yeah shouldn't use them when the engine's not running. I had accidentally left the inverter in from friday evening through Monday morning (it was connected to my gps unit cos I lost the car charger and used a phone charger USB) an it drained my battery. It uses a bunch of power and heats up. Mine is also an older unit and it's not as efficient as some newer units.