• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla 141 engine rebuild or replace

Sahan Dissanayake

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Corolla 141 as my first car, And I noticed that the engine is burning oil unusually. I tried changing the oil viscosity but that did not change anything. I know the seller fools me but I need to get my car back to work at least the next owner will not bother about this issue and also I love this car a much.

I am wondering about 2 solutions, 1 is to rebuild the engine, 2 is to replace the engine. What is the best solution? If I had to buy another engine, Is there a trusted place to buy one? The engine model is (3ZZ-FE). What is the most reliable solution?

Okay...so...before jumping into two possible conclusions both relating to major engine surgery, have you taken the car to a trusted garage and gotten a proper diagnosis ? 

It might need a new engine (rebuilt or secondhand engine refurbished)or just need something as simple as piston rings (let's assume that the car was poorly maintained and it built up sludge and screwed up the rings until they just gave way).

If you take it to a garage then you can do proper diagnostics (which includes all the tests above and even more).

Also...in regards to new engines...a new engine to you does not mean it is new. If you see the way 95% of these engines are removed from these cars, stored and transported you will run miles away from them (literally torn out from cars with small excavators and dumped in yards open to rain, dust and all the other elements you can think of. So even if you buy a new engine you will have to do some restoration work on it. Yes..you may get a 6 month warranty or something but that only gives you a different engine. It doesn't pay you back for the labor costs or loss of use of the car.

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Have you performed the Basic diagnosis like Dry Wet Compression Test etc. to determine whether the Engine is actually needs a rebuild?

This would be the way to go - I hope OP has taken the car to a proper mech and done a compression test. What I hear is that in the past people almost always tried to repair/rebuild engines. In recent times with the availability of recon engines garages tend to go for the more easier -'replace' method. Replace should be a last resort.

Of course these are not 'new' engines they're usually engines taken off wrecking yards. Having said that I need to mention that from what I have seen when I was engine hunting for the Starlet usually (i cannot stress the importance of the word usually - yes there could have been an engine a sumo wrestler used to throw at his opponents )a 15 YO Engine that has run in Japan and a 15YO engine that has run in Sri Lanka are in entirely two different conditions :) 

On 4/19/2024 at 8:06 AM, Ruslan said:

Have you performed the Basic diagnosis like Dry Wet Compression Test etc. to determine whether the Engine is actually needs a rebuild?

Actually not, I asked a few guys but they are not happy about repairing it. I can't find a good garage in my area. Could you guys please suggest me a good place?

Thank you everyone for your answers! ❤️ 

10 hours ago, Sahan Dissanayake said:

Actually not, I asked a few guys but they are not happy about repairing it. I can't find a good garage in my area.

Here lies the problem! This is sadly the issue with a majority of the garages int he country. They do not want to repair anything...just swap something out and get you out the door. If it doesn't work, they know that you will come back to them, and if it does work, they get you out of the door fast enough that they are able to undertake a new job. This is also partly the car owners' fault as well. They simply want things done cheap and do not want to pay for the time spent on proper diagnosis.

Without doing a proper diagnosis and narrowing down the possibilities...you are just going to be spending money on everything possible cause under the sun hoping that each thing you do is going to fix the issue (so first it will be the PCV valve...next it will be something else...and if you are truly unlucky they will lead you to the point of replacing piston rings and then a new engine and then repeat the whole process all over again because it's a new used engine). By experience, I can tell you that when you do something this way that seems to have fixed the issue....99% of the time, it hasn't fixed the issue but merely masked the symptoms.

So....even if you have to endure the current pain...just find a place that will do a comprehensive diagnosis. Not someone who will do the whole "mahattaya mekata aluth enjimak..." talk by just looking at it for a whole 30 seconds.

1. Where are you? That will help people to tell you of garages with positive experiences.

2. It seems like you said burning oil...like how bad is the oil burn?

• Like 1

Posting similar thread (Some time Back) so OP could have some idea about Engine Rebuilds done properly. regarding the place, last i heard they had moved places.

Edited by Ruslan

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 10:10 AM, iRage said:

Here lies the problem! This is sadly the issue with a majority of the garages int he country.

I second that! They are always trying to make it so simple and make money out of it. I also found this video that is exactly what you guys are saying about the used engine. 

But I have no idea about the liquid chemical they used to clean the engine out. 

I recently tried keeping my engine at 5000 RPM and saw the car exhaust fume is visible and the color is white and blue and smells different. Probably that is kind of a sign for oil burning. I did not get the PCV valve checked yet, I am waiting until I find a good person to do it.

I am living in Matara, But it does not matter I can take my vehicle anywhere if a good mechanic is found. Oil burning is approximately 1ml per kilometer.

Edited by Sahan Dissanayake
Adding more information

On 4/23/2024 at 10:29 AM, Ruslan said:

Posting similar thread (Some time Back) so OP could have some idea about Engine Rebuilds done properly. regarding the place, last i heard they had moved places.

That is a great thread. I think I have the same issue, Trying to contact that mechanic to repair mine. The cost would be more than 300,000 with the current situation I guess.