• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

Typical Cali bullshit. Put your money where your mouth is, and sit next to hybrid exhaust yourself. Or just make sure your A/C is running in the height of summer.

I'll volunteer to get in and make sure the interior is nice and cool.

It's retarded beyond belief

DO you mean to say Prius doesn't emit Carbon Monoxide? Have u mixed up your prius with some plug-in hybrid?

Could you please do us all a favor and breathe some exhaust fumes from your prius?

Whoever paid Cali to market Priuses must be kicking themselves for hiring the village idiot.

LOL the Prius ain't a zero emmission car..What a dumbass!!!..Stick to posting movie trailers please.

........BIG SIGH.........

My scenario was a trick question for anyone who doesn't know about hybrids. You all fell for the trick.

When you turn a hybrid on, the engine doesn't actually start. Even when you put the vehicle in 'Drive' and press the accelerator to pull away from a standstill, it's the electric motor that powers the car. The petrol engine remains off until it is needed.

So in the scenario I gave, even though the hybrid has been started, it is emitting zero-emissions because the petrol engine remains off.

Edited by Californikan

1+

It's retarded beyond belief to think inhaling exhaust gases is the way to see which techonology is the most environmentally friendly.

These fake green hybrid fanboys tend forget everything about what goes into making that tech, sustain it and eventually dispose of it. Each vehicle would have a environmental damage "footprint". Something beyond "carbon footprint" that only deals with part of the problem

It is you who's knowledge and thinking about this is retarded. Exhaust emissions is the most common way the world measures the environmental friendliness of a vehicle.

Since you think that measuring what comes out of the tailpipe of a vehicle is a 'retarded' , what do you think the worldwide practice of emissions testing does? They measure exhaust pollutants coming out of the tailpipe with a sensor. In Europe vehicle taxation is even based on a vehicle's emissions. Vehicles with lower emissions are taxed less because they are classified as being more environmentally friendly.

Hmmmmm.....are the scientists and governments of the world being retarded about this or is Ripper retarded? Clearly, it is Ripper that is retarded.

P.S. Since you didn't get it first time around, my scenario was not meant to be some serious study. It was simply a tongue in cheek scenario to put forth the point that there is a big difference in what comes out of the exhaust of a environmentally friendly vehicle and a normal vehicle.

Breathing exhaust is not enough to calculate the energy cost per lifetime mile.

You need to consider the total energy require to extract raw materials, transport, process,manufacture, use,

maintain, and dispose them. (i.e. from dust, to dust ).

'Energy cost per lifetime mile' is higher for hybrid vehicles than for the non-hybrids. That's why they say that hybrids are "energy "guzzlers"

I'm not talking about energy costs per life time. That is a whole other issue. I'm talking about something much more real and tangible - the exhaust pollution that is actually coming out of the tailpipe of vehicles that people are breathing in.

And you didn't answer my question. In the scenario I gave, would you rather breathe the exhaust of your car or would you rather breathe the 'exhaust' of the environmentally friendly vehicle?

Edited by Californikan

It is you who's knowledge and thinking about this is retarded. Exhaust emissions is the most common way the world measures the environmental friendliness of a vehicle.

Since you think that measuring what comes out of the tailpipe of a vehicle is a 'retarded' , what do you think the worldwide practice of emissions testing does? They measure exhaust pollutants coming out of the tailpipe with a sensor. In Europe vehicle taxation is even based on a vehicle's emissions. Vehicles with lower emissions are taxed less because they are classified as being more environmentally friendly.

Hmmmmm.....are the scientists and governments of the world being retarded about this or is Ripper retarded? Clearly, it is Ripper that is retarded.

P.S. Since you didn't get it first time around, my scenario was not meant to be some serious study. It was simply a tongue in cheek scenario to put forth the point that there is a big difference in what comes out of the exhaust of a environmentally friendly vehicle and a normal vehicle.

read what i wrote properly moron!

It's retarded beyond belief to think inhaling exhaust gases is the way to see which technology is the most environmentally friendly

exhaust emission measurements is just one way check the damage on the environment but it's not the only way.

For instance, apple products measure their carbon footprint of their products, including what goes into manufacturing and eventual disposal.

Hybrid technology has a environmental cost beyond what comes out of the tail pipe!

If you can't figure out something simple like that..just like the whole hub cap scenario, it's obvious who the retard is.

governments and other agencies find the easiest and most practical methods to "measure" environmental cost of a certain product or service.

And this is why just checking things at the tail pipe is so damn popular.

If one were to factor in all that goes into manufacturing, safe disposal etc...things are a whole lot different

Fake greenies happily ignore this.

If a hybrid battery needs disposing of in SL, there are no proper facilities to do so.

So most probably it will be dumped in some landfill or marsh land....so much for been environmentally friendly!

Edited by Ripper

read what i wrote properly moron!

exhaust emission measurements is just one way check the damage on the environment but it's not the only way.

For instance, apple products measure their carbon footprint of their products, including what goes into manufacturing and eventual disposal.

Hybrid technology has a environmental cost beyond what comes out of the tail pipe!

If you can't figure out something simple like that..just like the whole hub cap scenario, it's obvious who the retard is.

governments and other agencies find the easiest and most practical methods to "measure" environmental cost of a certain product or service.

And this is why just checking things at the tail pipe is so damn popular.

If one were to factor in all that goes into manufacturing, safe disposal etc...things are a whole lot different

Fake greenies happily ignore this.

If a hybrid battery needs disposing of in SL, there are no proper facilities to do so.

So most probably it will be dumped in some landfill or marsh land....so much for been environmentally friendly!

I don't disagree with what you say. I'll just add that most of the other costs you talk about are shouldered by other countries and not by us.

For SL, the most important strength of an environmentally friendly vehicle is the super low exhaust emissions. Have you been to a disgustingly air polluted city such as Mumbai or Bangkok (before they started cleaning it up)? Most of the air pollution in those polluted cities comes from vehicles.

you gotta admire this cali fellow... bugger doesn't get anything.. oh so it seems to us by coming up with something anything.. bottom line is when hybrid maintenance cost rise our buggers will cut corners and eventually the hybrids will die off prematurely... unless they offer affordable maintenance and parts for these. because in SL the suspension parts will wear off pretty quickly..

because as we all know only a handful of hybrid owners in SL bought it because they are green junkies and gets off to zero emissions.. they will want to run it cheap too..

........BIG SIGH.........

My scenario was a trick question for anyone who doesn't know about hybrids. You all fell for the trick.

When you turn a hybrid on, the engine doesn't actually start. Even when you put the vehicle in 'Drive' and press the accelerator to pull away from a standstill, it's the electric motor that powers the car. The petrol engine remains off until it is needed.

So in the scenario I gave, even though the hybrid has been started, it is emitting zero-emissions because the petrol engine remains off.

Not exactly true. In the morning when you turn on the power the engine will start after about 10-15 seconds. That is to heat up the catalytic converters. The engine will remain on for few minutes until it reaches a certain temperature and goes off. In US models there is a coolant thermo bottle. It stores hot coolant and re-releases when you start the engine. It speeds up Prius warm-up time and reduces emission. When the engine is started this hot coolant will bring the engine to the operating temperature faster. In SL we have JDM and UK imports. both models do not have the themo bottle.

Your scenario is valid only if the engine is still hot.

Edited by rover

I don't disagree with what you say. I'll just add that most of the other costs you talk about are shouldered by other countries and not by us.

For SL, the most important strength of an environmentally friendly vehicle is the super low exhaust emissions. Have you been to a disgustingly air polluted city such as Mumbai or Bangkok (before they started cleaning it up)? Most of the air pollution in those polluted cities comes from vehicles.

Cali, you have no idea what he is talking about, it is not money from your pocket or mine, it is the 'energy dollar' cost to the environment.

Or are you trying to say although it does a greater harm in the global context, you are happy as long as you have quality air surrounding you ?

• Like 1

Go away Cali.

Leave me alone Peri. Just look at your posts over the last few pages. You have not contributed anything meaningful to the discussions in this thread over the last few weeks, but instead have posted numerous snippy snide remarks, talked BS, egged people on, made numerous attempts to aggravate situations, and got yourself into totally unnecessary battles with forumers.

Take a look in the mirror man! Take a look at the part you play in all this and how had you had simply chosen to take the higher road and not get needlessly unnecessarily involved in situations (like my conversation about energy cost with Whatever on the previous page), we all (including you) would be better off.

Cali, you have no idea what he is talking about, it is not money from your pocket or mine, it is the 'energy dollar' cost to the environment.

I'm aware of the total energy usage/cost studies that came out a few years ago and were popularized in Top Gear's slamming of the Prius. Are you aware that their findings and the methods used for their calculations have been under challenge for many years? That the world famous 'Hummer has a lower total energy cost than a Prius' report by CNW, was recanted by them a year later because they found they were wrong? Or that many of these total energy cost reports are obsolete now, because of advances in technology and manufacturing of environmentally friendly vehicles?

Or are you trying to say although it does a greater harm in the global context, you are happy as long as you have quality air surrounding you ?

Well, assuming that the greater harm is correct (it's under debate) isn't this (better air quality) what governments all over the world are saying and doing through various incentives to encourage people to purchase environmentally friendly vehicles?

I place a priority on human health. If a city has got terrible air pollution because of unchecked vehicle emissions and people are getting sick and dying from respiratory illnesses from that air pollution, yes, I am willing to spend some of those environmental dollars towards low-emissions vehicles that will improve air quality and human health.

Speaking of useful posts....

:)

:)

Leave me alone Peri. Just look at your posts over the last few pages. You have not contributed anything meaningful to the discussions in this thread over the last few weeks, but instead have posted numerous snippy snide remarks, talked BS, egged people on, made numerous attempts to aggravate situations, and got yourself into totally unnecessary battles with forumers.

Take a look in the mirror man! Take a look at the part you play in all this and how had you had simply chosen to take the higher road and not get needlessly unnecessarily involved in situations (like my conversation about energy cost with Whatever on the previous page), we all (including you) would be better off.

Go away Cali, you are a BSer and I am not gonna waste my valuable resources debating with you, whatever your BS opinions. You've been proven a BS artist too many times. Its just too tiring, Just go way.

Full Complete Movie: Revenge of the Electric Car (2011)

Excellent behind the scenes film on the development of the Tesla Roadster, Nissan Leaf, and Chevrolet Volt

Again, seeing as this is a hybrid thread and the Tesla and Leaf aren't hybrids.... Sigh...

Again, seeing as this is a hybrid thread and the Tesla and Leaf aren't hybrids.... Sigh...

Listen man, obviously the Tesla and Leaf aren't hybrids. Don't you think I know that? Electric cars have been discussed in this thread many many times because they are next step from hybrids. And a quarter of the film was about the plug-in hybrid Volt. See, this :rolleyes: is yet another example of you writing a post that is petty and you absolutely didn't need to write and only ends up making you look petty. You're trying so hard to discredit me that you're only discrediting yourself. Instead of being petty, just be happy that I found the complete film and have posted it for the enjoyment and benefit of people.

You have gone after my opinion so many times and fallen on your face because I can back up what I say with facts. Just look at the last few pages of this thread. This world is not black or white, right or wrong, this or that. Things are in shades of grey. Just because YOU don't agree with an opinion doesn't make it BS. The greatest minds have widely differing opinions on much of this stuff and that's what makes it stimulating. If you watched the film you would have seen how everyone has a different view of how things will unfold, and that's only normal.

• Like 1

Listen man, obviously the Tesla and Leaf aren't hybrids. Don't you think I know that? Electric cars have been discussed in this thread many many times because they are next step from hybrids. And a quarter of the film was about the plug-in hybrid Volt. See, this :rolleyes: is yet another example of you writing a post that is petty and you absolutely didn't need to write and only ends up making you look petty. You're trying so hard to discredit me that you're only discrediting yourself. Instead of being petty, just be happy that I found the complete film and have posted it for the enjoyment and benefit of people.

You have gone after my opinion so many times and fallen on your face because I can back up what I say with facts. Just look at the last few pages of this thread. This world is not black or white, right or wrong, this or that. Things are in shades of grey. Just because YOU don't agree with an opinion doesn't make it BS. The greatest minds have widely differing opinions on much of this stuff and that's what makes it stimulating. If you watched the film you would have seen how everyone has a different view of how things will unfold, and that's only normal.

i have question :) lets say everyone has electric cars in SL..... where can we find all the electricity we need to recharge them :speechless-smiley-019:

You're trying so hard to discredit me that you're only discrediting yourself.

Actually, I don't have to try hard at all. Its kinda easy coz you don't know jack and keep posting BS. Now go away Cali.

You have gone after my opinion so many times and fallen on your face because I can back up what I say with facts.

:lol: Now that is a good laugh in this continuation of BS.

Actually, I don't have to try hard at all. Its kinda easy coz you don't know jack and keep posting BS. Now go away Cali.

:lol: Now that is a good laugh in this continuation of BS.

Just a few examples of your BS: 'Sri Lankans who pay 38-100% tax are cheapskates' , 'Hybrid drivers will get electrocuted if they drive in floods' and just in the last page 'Hybrid exhausts are always emitting exhaust fumes'.

Seriously, just let go of your pride, and live and let live.

i have question :) lets say everyone has electric cars in SL..... where can we find all the electricity we need to recharge them :speechless-smiley-019:

I own the DVD of the film and in the extras there is a brilliant discussion between the main characters including Elon Musk and Carlos Goshn.

They make a really interesting point: Refining, producing and distributing petrol and diesel takes up a huge amount of electricity.This electricity would be much more efficiently used by an electric car rather than making petrol or diesel. So as electric cars get more popular, the reduction in the consumption and production of petrol means that electricity used for petrol production can be transferred directly to power electric cars which is much more efficient use of that electricity.

It's transferring electricity from one use (making and distributing petrol and diesel) to another much more efficient use (directly powering electric cars). They also say that there is enough capacity in existing power grids to power millions of electric cars because electric cars use comparatively little energy.

There are also solar chargers http://nissanleafsolarcharger.com/ which are perfect for SL. Solar chargers are seeing big drops in price every year.

Solar panels installed on the roof of the house charge the Leaf and Volt. The owner will make up the cost of the solar charger through not having to pay for the electricity to charge the cars, and then after the charger is paid off the owner drives their electric cars for 'free' cause they are being powered by the sun.

2011-nissan-leaf-and-2011-chevy-volt-with-roof-solar-panels-visible-photo-by-george-parrott_100343302_m.jpg

Edited by Californikan