• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

first no body said hybrid is expensive , superb or having a hybrid is a luxurious thing.. if so i feel sorry about those...

why do u own a 07 FIAT Punto ??? u should own sm old junk and be happy ?? and by considering the effort u put to reply to the comment i really really feel sorry about u and the rest of u r gang. May be u guys should have a group called losers of Junk Lanka ... i really enjoyed the show .... most of u guys are heroes behind keyboards... just useless junks ... LOL :D

you are very luck none of us really know you.. i would really like to see you on the road and see how u react on the road. i am sure you cant drive in a straight line..

*Facepalm*

ok, before any of this, i admit that i was a lot skeptical about BMW's and Alfa's or most of the euro's because of purely what others said about them

without ever owning one, or driving at least driving one. after driving few it changed my perspective of euro's.

and judging by what you said Dinuk, i doubt weather you ever even driven one before.

FYI, most people doesn't buy a car for technological advancement and petrol higanakama.

most of us buy cars for the driving pleasure.

about the wankel rotary engine. that is "Koheda yanne, malle pol"

:)

I said, not all euro car owners.... But most of them is like I described...

And I was talking about new technology. At that point wankel rotary is unsuccessful.....

Don't hate the word "HYBRID"..... This is just few additional parts that fixed in to a normal car....

It is just like a turbo charger fixed to a normal car. ( and please understand.... with the necessary modifications ) <----AND AGAIN A "Koheda yanne, malle pol" STORY

Edited by Dinuk

think where we are now... there are auto boxes failing.. EFI engines failing because our idiots still dont know how to diagnose some cars... no matter what owning a BMW or something of some stature is still better than owing some indian crap.. i am sorry that u owned one and feel the need to make ur self feel better.. but the truth is the truth.. even if i had one,, i would never say that it is better to own that than a euro or a proper car... thats just silly.. stupid and down right wrong..

I think we are talking about hybrids... not euro or proper cars... What I wrote on that post is something came to my mind when I read some posts.... My point is, if some one buy a euro car for 1m because he can offered only that and laughing at others cars made me feel very sorry about that guy....

I think we are talking about hybrids... not euro or proper cars... What I wrote on that post is something came to my mind when I read some posts.... My point is, if some one buy a euro car for 1m because he can offered only that and laughing at others cars made me feel very sorry about that guy....

i am sorry i dont see bmw X1 or the cayanne on ur signature.. i only see some diesels and indian crap.

first off rotary engines are about performance cause they give 3 time more power than a similar displacement conventional engine, comparing hybrids with rotaries is like comparing Halle Berry with Serena Williams i.e simply moronic

They are both women.... wankel rotary and hybrid are engines... wankel rotary didn't succeeded. but hybrid engines.... all are rushing in ( I mean manufacturers )

Ten years from now we will all be driving hydrogen and ev powered cars, not high-bread cars :rolleyes:

But i'm sure... when hydrogen vehicles hits our shore... we will reply to "Will Hydrogen Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?" thread just like this....

And that's because we are Sri Lankans....

• Like 1

first no body said hybrid is expensive , superb or having a hybrid is a luxurious thing.. if so i feel sorry about those...

Err, thats what you implied when you said we couldn't afford one. Or were you just trying to say we were poor? And calling yourself rich? Poor in taste, that :) Really does label you as an ass.

• Like 2

Personally i don't think there's any reason why hybrids should fail in sri lanka or any other market for that matter when the future of automobile is hybrids. In Developed countries all major manufactureres are developing hybrid vehicles including buses and in no time sooner we will see the total market being converted to the same.

But some sceptics and car sellers are spreading the word that hybrids will fail which is a cheap marketing tactic to ensure that the all fuel vehicles that they are bringing down can be sold to everyone. Don't forget that in 5-10 years time there will be no all fuel cars to be brought down from Japan. This is the same type of hype created when the market moved to Auto transmission from manual couple of decades ago.

In the market price (not in SL) hybrids are more expensive than the allions and obviously provide better mileage, similar space and a smoother driving experience. Some are afraid that hybrids require extra care due to it's battery and is very expensive to maintain. But make no fear there's no such thing. And folks get use to the future technology before rest becomes obsolete. And please stop making false excuses because you don't drive one.

• Like 1

wankel rotary didn't succeeded. but hybrid engines.... all are rushing in ( I mean manufacturers )

rotary engines did not "succeed" is the wrong term to use.

They are a huge success and loved by thousands of people around the globe who own those cars.

Wankel driven engines did not become mainstream

and that's because their maintainance costs were higher, there were some technical barriers and most importantly they were not aimed at people who were looking at cheaper cost of ownership over thrill of driving.

I'm sure you are smart enough to understand the performace of a wankel motor is not comparable even to a typical gasoline engine. i wont even boother to put the hybrid in there for obvious reasons.

Personally i don't think there's any reason why hybrids should fail in sri lanka or any other market for that matter when the future of automobile is hybrids. In Developed countries all major manufactureres are developing hybrid vehicles including buses and in no time sooner we will see the total market being converted to the same.

But some sceptics and car sellers are spreading the word that hybrids will fail which is a cheap marketing tactic to ensure that the all fuel vehicles that they are bringing down can be sold to everyone. Don't forget that in 5-10 years time there will be no all fuel cars to be brought down from Japan. This is the same type of hype created when the market moved to Auto transmission from manual couple of decades ago.

In the market price (not in SL) hybrids are more expensive than the allions and obviously provide better mileage, similar space and a smoother driving experience. Some are afraid that hybrids require extra care due to it's battery and is very expensive to maintain. But make no fear there's no such thing. And folks get use to the future technology before rest becomes obsolete. And please stop making false excuses because you don't drive one.

THe future is in all electrics and not hybrids. Or even in renewable fuel like bio diesel with better engine design to lower emissions.

Hybrids still burn gasoline so it's just a stop gap solution.

Why on earth would car sellers will put down hybrids??? Those people only care about their bottom lines and as far as anything sells... they wouldn't bother would they? I think that's really lame logic mate!

Car sellers will bring down all electrics if they could as long as there is a demand.

It's all about that at the end....

Car makers all over are just catering to a demand! not necessarily addressing global climate issues and what's right for the future etc. They are all into making money and hybrids is just another means of it.

And i hope in another 5-10 yeas time you'd be here when the fuel cars wont be imported to sl

On manual vs auto

again... people are just catering to the demand.

Traffic has got worse, cities and even villages are getting urbanized and people are getting lazy.... and in comes autos. They offer poor performance when compared to manuals, less driving pleasure, less fuel efffcient but the whole world loves them. Doesn't mean manuals were wiped out!

It's all about demand mate. nothing else.

Hybrids are getting popular now because they are cheap to own and cheap to run.

We wont even be having this debate if people like you understood the fact for most automotive fans, that is most of AL crowd here...cost of ownership isn't everything.

Cars offer a lot more than getting you from point A to B.

And as for your last comment...about us not owning hybrids? I don't need to smoke crack to know how bad it can be.

Yes hybrids give you slightly better fuel efficiency, there purchase cost is relatively cheaper thanks to lower taxes, you can feel a bit good abot yourself due to lower emissions forgeeting about how the batteries will eventually be disposed of... even after all of that...it's a car with no soul! no engine note, no driving pleasure

Hybrids will succeed in SL.

That's because majority of people just want an A to B car. That's it.

Edited by Ripper
  • Like 8

oh here we go another idiot in the frey.. hybrids don't cost as much in other countries compared to their gas counterparts dumbo..

and we don't make false excuses because we don't drive one or cant afford one.. our priorities are different to the hybrid buyer and the thing is that a few hybrid fools are trying to argue against people who actually love cars and know far better than u fools who knows only to read the gauge on a priass and hypermile at 20KMPH on the road... drive a real car before u come to talk about technology on a hybrid...

Edited by charitha19

The only reason Hybrids took off in SL is because it was cheap at the time!!! Not any other reason. We Sri Lankans don't give toss about the climate... :) We care only about our wallets, KMPLs and what the neighbours think.

All other chit chat is just that... chit chat.

• Like 1

The only reason Hybrids took off in SL is because it was cheap at the time!!! Not any other reason. We Sri Lankans don't give toss about the climate... :) We care only about our wallets, KMPLs and what the neighbours think.

All other chit chat is just that... chit chat.

as my father in law puts it "Loose Talk"

on a related note we seem to be getting a lot of newbie fools who seems to think hybrids are like the 2nd coming to the automobile industry ney....

Judging by the complete inability to grasp a point and the broken english,I say people like 'Dinuk' are just keyboard ninjas machan.Just arguing for arguing's sake.Atleast that Cali idiot has a faint idea what we're on about.

• Like 1

They are both women.... wankel rotary and hybrid are engines... wankel rotary didn't succeeded. but hybrid engines.... all are rushing in ( I mean manufacturers )

Really? Even chappies like Maruti and Micro? :rolleyes:

Aaahhh, so Tesla is just deploying their electrics until they develop their Hybrids?

http://www.hybridcarblog.com/nissan-leaf-outselling-all-hybrids-except-toyota-prius/

Atleast that Cali idiot has a faint idea what we're on about.

Yeah he seems much better compared to the rest of the pack, but dont forget machan this is a guy who didn't know his own prius had a hubcap instead of alloys. On an automotive enthusiast forum it couldn't get any more lamer than that.

Just another cardboard hero made thanks to google and the abundant resources readily available on the internet, i bet he doesn't even know where his spark plugs are :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Time to grab the popcorn, folks

...You just might find out that saving the planet is more satisfying than driving a supercar.

No straight dude would ever be caught saying the above.

Tell it to this dude... seducer of over 1000 women and counting...and probably the world's most most well known Prius driver and advocate.

See Cali, what MD has said is, no straight dude would say that playing video games is more fun than driving a supercar. Now, just cost Leo drives a Prius for his tree hugginess, you have no idea if he considers it fun. Or more fun than a supercar.

And BTW, pretty boy's ladies numbers ain't impressing fans of The Big Dipper ;)

• Like 2

Probably he got this car FOC from manufacturer and he's getting paid everytime he goes out in it

Actually yeah, that's indeed what Toyota did. I remember reading the case study (Harvard Biz school i think) in a technology inovation class. In fact they got a bunch of celebs to drive to the academy awards and the after-parties in Prii to be exact.

Actually yeah, that's indeed what Toyota did. I remember reading the case study (Harvard Biz school i think) in a technology inovation class. In fact they got a bunch of celebs to drive to the academy awards and the after-parties in Prii to be exact.

You would probably been nailed to a cross for posting such blasphemy, if Californikan were the Pope. :D

Probably he got this car FOC from manufacturer and he's getting paid everytime he goes out in it

I guess you really want to believe what you wrote :rolleyes: , but it's not true. With DiCaprio, he is a true diehard environmentalist. I've already gone over in detail why this is so.

And as I already reported, he just bought his hot new girlfriend a 2011 Prius to replace her very un-green gas guzzling Range Rover >> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2028923/Leonardo-Di-Caprio-buys-new-Toyota-Prius-girlfriend-Blake-Lively.html

Time to grab the popcorn, folks

See Cali, what MD has said is, no straight dude would say that playing video games is more fun than driving a supercar. Now, just cost Leo drives a Prius for his tree hugginess, you have no idea if he considers it fun. Or more fun than a supercar.

And BTW, pretty boy's ladies numbers ain't impressing fans of The Big Dipper ;)

First of all, Peri, would you and other please stop misquoting and misrepresenting what I write.

I never said driving a green car could be more fun than driving a supercar, I said it could more satisfying. In a similar way that doing something good or helpful to help another person can be more satisfying than doing that same thing for oneself. There definitively is a satisfaction to driving a low-emissions environmentally friendly car - if one cares about the environment.

And I never said playing a video game could be more fun than driving a supercar. I said going for max kmpl driving a hybrid using the real time kmpl display is similar to going for best score on a video game.