• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

It has a ok looking front end but the back looks hidious.

I still think the fd civic looks much better than this.

And in the fd1there was 1800cc engine this comes with a 1000cc turbo the durability would be highly questionable. Honda is not having a good rep regarding its engines in resant times. Also the 3cylinder engine may not be that smooth after running some miles (see the 1l vitz topic)

And if it goes to close to the 7million mark its completely not worth the money

Can easyly go for german rivals at that price point a slightly used recondition a3sedan or vw skoda seat cars which would have much more opptions at that price point and mind you japs are new to bolting a turbo into small engines and fitting it into a big car so there will be a lot of "issues" to come when these rack up some miles.

So best option is to avoid.

Edited by Clark'sson
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

mind you japs are new to bolting a turbo into small engines and fitting it into a big car

true,GDI with turbo is first for Honda. It was pioneered and widely used in European cars before that. Honda wanted to get into the club of 300+HP/ with <2L engine/ FF-drive cars from the European rivals Audi,VW,Seat and have a lap record at Nürburgring. And meet Euro6 emissions at the same time. There was no other option but to give up the beloved and reliable PFI,Naturally aspirated system and replace with a downsized, direct injection,Turbo charged system when they started the flagship 4 cyl Civic Type R development 6years ago. The core Engine management system including High Pres. Pump, injectors,Sensors are from Germany although there also some peripheral parts from Japan. What we are getting in SL is just the streamed down 3cyl version of the TypeR,so the potential failures should be common to the 4cyl Type R which is in the market since 2015.

Edited by ajm

On 3/5/2018 at 5:21 PM, Clark'sson said:

It has a ok looking front end but the back looks hidious.

I still think the fd civic looks much better than this.

And in the fd1there was 1800cc engine this comes with a 1000cc turbo the durability would be highly questionable. Honda is not having a good rep regarding its engines in resant times. Also the 3cylinder engine may not be that smooth after running some miles (see the 1l vitz topic)

And if it goes to close to the 7million mark its completely not worth the money

Can easyly go for german rivals at that price point a slightly used recondition a3sedan or vw skoda seat cars which would have much more opptions at that price point and mind you japs are new to bolting a turbo into small engines and fitting it into a big car so there will be a lot of "issues" to come when these rack up some miles.

So best option is to avoid.

I have to ask, where do you get all this information that you spout so authoritatively? "Honda is not having a good rep regarding engines in resant times" you say, care to provide some sources? Pretty much every engine Honda has made in the last decade or more has been perfectly fine in terms of durability based on any source I can find, maybe you've found different info? 

The 3 pot is actually quite smooth in use and if you didn't actually know what it was you'd not be able to tell it was different from an average 4 cyl.

Honda like most Japanese makers does not adapt a technology until they are quite sure they can make it work reliably, unlike the euros (and especially the VW group). Between the two, I would still bet that the CIvic will be a better long term prospect than any VAG 1.0l turbo. 

• Like 4

I think he is talking about the GP1 oil burning Issue to generalize Honda Engines. On the other hand 1L,GDI, turbocharged engines have been in Use with VW(Polo,Golf,Fox,Seat Leon..)long before the Japanese realized it was a good alternative to adding Hybrid in the compact segment. As I said before,this CIVIC 3cyl is based on the 4Cyl Type-R Engine,which was developed in Europe with GDI,Turbocharging and in the market since 2015.Honda decided against adding Hybrid and stay pure gasoline,going with the European Downsizing Trend. The Golf,Seat Leon with downsized,GDI,Turbocharged,FF Engines were already holding the lap records at Nurburgring around 2012, and Honda wanted the new Type-R to beat that(Which they did for a brief period in 2014,the crown keeps rotating for this segment nowadays).

P.S:GDI has a bad reputation in SL due to Pajero-IO and fuel quality issues,any baas will advise against buying it. But the European vehicles have been in SL with GDI system for many years now,without any complaints. So that should not be a concern with the CIVIC which has the Euro system.

Edited by ajm

4 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

I have to ask, where do you get all this information that you spout so authoritatively? "Honda is not having a good rep regarding engines in resant times" you say, care to provide some sources? Pretty much every engine Honda has made in the last decade or more has been perfectly fine in terms of durability based on any source I can find, maybe you've found different info? 

The 3 pot is actually quite smooth in use and if you didn't actually know what it was you'd not be able to tell it was different from an average 4 cyl.

Honda like most Japanese makers does not adapt a technology until they are quite sure they can make it work reliably, unlike the euros (and especially the VW group). Between the two, I would still bet that the CIvic will be a better long term prospect than any VAG 1.0l turbo. 

Im not going to argue with you

But my points were that the recent gp1 honda issue and how many engines had to be repaired at a relatively low millage and their gearbox issues resently can cause some doubt whether honda do enough testing before it releases to the market. Yes honda was considered reliable in the past but not in the gp1 and similar cars and the vezal.

Also for the price range of the civic there are good alternatives either brand new or even slightly used in srilanka.

1 hour ago, Clark'sson said:

Im not going to argue with you

But my points were that the recent gp1 honda issue and how many engines had to be repaired at a relatively low millage and their gearbox issues resently can cause some doubt whether honda do enough testing before it releases to the market. Yes honda was considered reliable in the past but not in the gp1 and similar cars and the vezal.

Also for the price range of the civic there are good alternatives either brand new or even slightly used in srilanka.

A few issues suffered by one particular engine can't really condemn an entire company to the bin. Honda have spent a lot of time and effort on this generation of Civic and it is reportedly the single largest development program in their history, aimed at correcting the criticisms of the last model. I'd really like to know what you consider a better alternative at the price the Civic goes at, also have you driven one of them yet? I have and I was quite impressed with the overall package for the price, which is why I'm puzzled by your negative outlook. 

• Like 1

Yes we cant dump a complete brand due to the issues of one model but there had been issues such as the vezal gearbox issue as well. And what i collected from the topic about the gp1 is that honda japan refused any help because it occured in jdm vehicles not made for srilanka 

Here also its the same with the civics intended for the uk market.

This was just my openion and i was not aware about hondas r&d or expectations on this car.

Yes i tested one just after the 1L price reduction when 1L cars were considered a bargain. A SR without sunroof and leather seats done 10 000mil in uk and i accept that you dont recognize its a 1L unless you check the spec sheet.

Anyhow the seats wernt that much comfortable for me and the material didnt feel good for me (well dont know if it will be different if i tested an ex) and the steering controls looked cheap etc. 

So i decided that its not worth to spend north of 6million for that and adding the unpredictability of a newly introduced 1L engine. 

Edited by Clark'sson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clark'sson said:

honda japan refused any help because it occured in jdm vehicles not made for srilanka 

In fact we cant blame Honda for everything,unless the model is released for the particular country by the official Agent. The validation profiles are fine-tuned to match the target market conditions(Environment,Drive load, Vibration..) to avoid over-engineering and keep costs within budget. Gone are the days when one vehicle model could work defect free anywhere in the world. The Gearbox issues of Honda and Xtrail are triggered by our harsh operating conditions,although the GP1 piston ring thing is a real design issue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

A few issues suffered by one particular engine can't really condemn an entire company to the bin. Honda have spent a lot of time and effort on this generation of Civic and it is reportedly the single largest development program in their history, aimed at correcting the criticisms of the last model. I'd really like to know what you consider a better alternative at the price the Civic goes at, also have you driven one of them yet? I have and I was quite impressed with the overall package for the price, which is why I'm puzzled by your negative outlook. 

yep I too test drove an Civic in EX trim and was pleasantly surprised with the experience. the cabin has a nice quality feel to it and the 3 cylinder was quite refined. great driving position too. I too wasn't a fan of the boy racer looks initially- thaught it was trying too hard but it sort of grew on me and it definitely looks better on some colours rather than others. 

Postponed the idea of buying one for now though.  

Recently I traveled in one, but wasn't very satisfied with the ride. I could hear the engine noise very badly and felt like it was struggling on uphill climb, and little bouncy and uncomfortable. Interior was nice though had good leg room at least on the front, boot space was not bad either. I also agree some dark colors looks best on it specially red and black.

• Like 1

It's a bit unfair to criticize a brand due to a few issues. Keep in mind we operate these cars in the harshest conditions possible. And all brands have had their boo boos. Didn't the nation's favorite brand Toyota give us Axio cvt boxes that pack up etc?

The only thing with the Civic is I just feel it's not worth for 6mil+ with the yen rate high these days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, matroska said:

It's a bit unfair to criticize a brand due to a few issues. Keep in mind we operate these cars in the harshest conditions possible. And all brands have had their boo boos. Didn't the nation's favorite brand Toyota give us Axio cvt boxes that pack up etc?

The only thing with the Civic is I just feel it's not worth for 6mil+ with the yen rate high these days.

What else can you buy for that price (new) with the same size and feature set though? Also, they don't come from Japan so the yen has nothing to do with it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

What else can you buy for that price (new) with the same size and feature set though? Also, they don't come from Japan so the yen has nothing to do with it.

Thanks to 90% car buyers ignorance our car sales guys will jack up the prices even if the damn thing was made here in SL.

13 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

ok wasn't aware of the country of origin - noticed the prices are a bit high now than say in January- assumed it was the yen factor. I agree that you can't get a new(unreg) Japanese car with all the bells and whistles for that price but at the same time 6 Mil for a 1L civic, Close to 5 Mil for an unreg Aqua,FIT etc just doesn't feel worth it  - just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, Insedious said:

Hi Guys,

Having being an avid reader of the AL forum for years, I thought I'd create an account and contribute as I got a 2018 Civic SR for the wifey a couple of weeks back. (Edit: Looks like I had another account already. May bad. let me kill the new one).

Since her N16 was aging (gracefully), we needed an upgrade. The SR had quite alot of features and the interior was quite impressive. With an acceptable amount of crumple zones and weight, it was the right container for the kids to go to school/tuition etc.

I got it down through a friend who was kind enough to give the UK registration papers. It clearly states the First Registration date. Even though I trusted the guys, this was like the cherry on top. 

The Car was shipped in a container arrived in SL in 3 weeks. Put the bad boy on a flat bed and brought it home on the 3rd day after landing in Colombo.

First impression of the car all positive. It looks impressive (however I still am not  big fan of the back). There's interior is roomy enough for a family of 4. Has enough leg room at the back for an average Sri Lankan. However since the seats are quite low, people with long legs might find it uncomfortable on long journeys. 

The 3 cylinder engine does sound different.. being very blunt, if a low capacity diesel engine had sex with a land master engine, you would get something that sounds like the civic's engine. But this little turbo charged puppy tend to grow on you so at least for me it's not a deal breaker.

From the performance perspective, I'm still breaking in the engine so trying to stay under 100 and 4000 rpm, but you do feel the turbo lag but once it kicks in, you can clearly feel the difference.

Handling wise, I'm impressed by how road hugging the car is, quick lane changes are quite enjoyable but I'm sure the 235/45R17s are going to make me pay through the nose come new tire time.

Fuel consumption wise, it started at 3km/L the moment after the first tankful and after about 100kms, it's at 6+km/L and still improving.

Friends, since this is my first post, if I've violated any rules here, please let me know. More than happy to adjust accordingly.

well that's quite comprehensive review - good to know that you don't let the engine sound put you off :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matroska said:

ok wasn't aware of the country of origin - noticed the prices are a bit high now than say in January- assumed it was the yen factor. I agree that you can't get a new(unreg) Japanese car with all the bells and whistles for that price but at the same time 6 Mil for a 1L civic, Close to 5 Mil for an unreg Aqua,FIT etc just doesn't feel worth it  - just my 2 cents. 

No argument there, but that's the reality of the SL car market isn't it? You or I would probably spend that money and get a better deal on a used car but for the majority of people new or unregistered is what they want because "peace of mind is important" (I've heard those exact words many times).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-3-12 at 7:38 AM, Insedious said:

Hi Guys,

Having being an avid reader of the AL forum for years, I thought I'd create an account and contribute as I got a 2018 Civic SR for the wifey a couple of weeks back. (Edit: Looks like I had another account already. May bad. let me kill the new one).

Since her N16 was aging (gracefully), we needed an upgrade. The SR had quite alot of features and the interior was quite impressive. With an acceptable amount of crumple zones and weight, it was the right container for the kids to go to school/tuition etc.

I got it down through a friend who was kind enough to give the UK registration papers. It clearly states the First Registration date. Even though I trusted the guys, this was like the cherry on top. 

The Car was shipped in a container arrived in SL in 3 weeks. Put the bad boy on a flat bed and brought it home on the 3rd day after landing in Colombo.

First impression of the car all positive. It looks impressive (however I still am not  big fan of the back). There's interior is roomy enough for a family of 4. Has enough leg room at the back for an average Sri Lankan. However since the seats are quite low, people with long legs might find it uncomfortable on long journeys. 

The 3 cylinder engine does sound different.. being very blunt, if a low capacity diesel engine had sex with a land master engine, you would get something that sounds like the civic's engine. But this little turbo charged puppy tend to grow on you so at least for me it's not a deal breaker.

From the performance perspective, I'm still breaking in the engine so trying to stay under 100 and 4000 rpm, but you do feel the turbo lag but once it kicks in, you can clearly feel the difference.

Handling wise, I'm impressed by how road hugging the car is, quick lane changes are quite enjoyable but I'm sure the 235/45R17s are going to make me pay through the nose come new tire time.

Fuel consumption wise, it started at 3km/L the moment after the first tankful and after about 100kms, it's at 6+km/L and still improving.

Friends, since this is my first post, if I've violated any rules here, please let me know. More than happy to adjust accordingly.

Now 2 weeks gone. I want to know how is the fuel economy now. and your usual route. Thanks!! 

• Thanks 1

Now I'm using a FD1 and it was fast enough and interior is decent size for me. 

I'm planning to upgrade to the new civic 1.5T or 1.0T

Im getting fuel about 7-8kmpl driving in colombo and suburban, 15kmpl in highway in my FD1. 

Heard 1.5T and 1.0T both has almost same fuel consumption while having better performance in 1.5T. And performance of 1.0T is as same as FD1. 

If there is a new civic owner, please update me with your experience about fuel.

Thanks in advance!! 

On 3/20/2018 at 2:24 PM, rajithanw said:

Now 2 weeks gone. I want to know how is the fuel economy now. and your usual route. Thanks!! 

The morning drive from Pannipitiya to Colombo 3 via Colombo 7 starting at 6.30 am averages around 8.5 liters per 100km and the afternoon school run ( same route in reverse) hovers around 10-11 liters per 100 km... This is with ECO mode On and with engine auto stop and start.

• Thanks 1

Would really like to get some feedback from the 1L-T Civic owners on performance and fuel consumption. If it does 8-10/Litre in Colombo traffic it's pretty good I would say. 

Did go for a test drive and it felt pretty well built with good materials, and was pretty zippy (I wasn't driving though).

It's got some decent reviews overall, and the sports hatchback seems to be slightly more expensive than the normal in Japan (I stand to be corrected). Brand new price in UK being close to 22k to 24k pounds, I think 6.5 mil is a decent price. It's not meant to be a cheap car the ways it's price has been positioned. 

Edited by VTEC
Grammer

49 minutes ago, VTEC said:

Would really like to get some feedback from the 1L-T Civic owners on performance and fuel consumption. If it does 8-10/Litre in Colombo traffic it's pretty good I would say. 

Did go for a test drive and it felt pretty well built with good materials, and was pretty zippy (I wasn't driving though).

It's got some decent reviews overall, and the sports hatchback seems to be slightly more expensive than the normal in Japan (I stand to be corrected). Brand new price in UK being close to 22k to 24k pounds, I think 6.5 mil is a decent price. It's not meant to be a cheap car the ways it's price has been positioned. 

Yes. The hatchback is about 200k-250k more expensive than the sedan. But Japan only has tge 1.5L Turbo variant (and tbe Type R). So its really not the same car you are looking at from the UK.