• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Type R Philosophy

isurujosh

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/civic_type-r.asp

The Type R philosophy is not about building the most powerful, or fastest car in the world. It is about creating a car that provides a well-engineered, but exciting driving experience. To offer this, every Type R needs to have certain key characteristics:

Racing: An exhilarating driving experience similar to that felt when piloting a racing car.

Involvement: High levels of feedback and involvement in terms of sound, steering response and handling. The driver should feel part of the machine.

Not just speed: Going fast is part of the Type R experience, but not everything. The Type R should have above average levels of performance in gear change quality, braking, steering and handling.

Pure: The driving experience should not be diluted or interfered with by driving aids or sound proofing that could detract from the driver’s involvement.

Stripped-out: A Type R is not equipped with luxuries such as satellite navigation, hands-free telephones or leather upholstery. It should look and feel like a racing car.

Engineering: To meet the aims set by the philosophy, a different approach is taken during the design and development of a Type R. Therefore, each car possesses a special set of engineering qualities.

Normally aspirated: No bolting on of a turbocharger to give silly power figures. All Type R engines are normally-aspirated, which deliver smoother power delivery throughout the rev range, allowing power to be transferred through the chassis more easily, improving traction and acceleration.

Torsional rigidity: A stiffer chassis improves the handling of the car in terms of balance and adjustability. This makes for a more involving drive.

Simple technology: No traction control, stability control or four-wheel drive. Or indeed any other driver aids that can distance the driver from the experience. Instead, a Type R is based on clever, but simple engineering solutions rather than electronic gadgetry.

/The above is not an illustration of superiority/inferiority of any philosophy, rather is a description about a certain philosophy!

Agreed with all except for the 'Involvement' bit. The electronic power steering doesn't really give good steering feedback to the driver as the pneaumatic does.

did u meant drive by wire? as i heard it used to work better than conventional power steering system ??

did u meant drive by wire? as i heard it used to work better than conventional power steering system ??

Yea I meant the drive-by-wire system. The steering is very precise, but the driver feedback isn't too good. Like you don't get an opposing force back into the steering wheel when you are turning hard.

And Typr-R typicaly means hatchback right? Thats it. Type-R is just 2 door hatch back

machan follwo the link i had give, it has elaborated what type R means(at least for Honda)... it ain't just the Civic Typr R(CTR) hatch... itz also ITR, NSX-R... Euro R.... so Euro R is 4dr sedan

Yea I meant the drive-by-wire system. The steering is very precise, but the driver feedback isn't too good. Like you don't get an opposing force back into the steering wheel when you are turning hard.

so you belong to the JC school of thought i guess, d u also think that Ferrari F40 is the best super car ever built, even more so than now famous F60.... remember Road-Seat-A*se-The End :angry-smiley-048:

Involvement: High levels of feedback and involvement in terms of sound, steering response and handling. The driver should feel part of the machine.

Was watching a top gear clip where VBH says the feed back from the steering in the CTR isn't quite there too. Lotsa good to say about the CTR, but this was a negative.

now the S2000 has some variable steering system. not sure of the exact details but it feels bloody nice!