• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw 320D (E46)

JayD

what if i buy a pre face lift and fix it with a facelift model's engine? is it possible?

Yes, if you have ample time and money to spend on non value adding activities. Your are better off buying a pre facelift at a cheaper price and doing it up. That way atleast you would know that all essential parts are replaced / checked. The pre facelift is a very good and solid engine. The amount of cars still running on the road is a testiment of its capabilities. I Know several owners of the pre facelift 320d, and all who maintain them well are loving their cars.

If you have the necessary means and patience just go for a face-lift. You are better off on value and will also save on a lot of mechanical/technical issues from mating a face-lift engine to a pre-face-lift car. By the time you mate a face-lift engine and get it to run, you would have already incurred more costs than purchasing the face-lift car.

By the time you mate a face-lift engine and get it to run, you would have already incurred more costs than purchasing the face-lift car.

I think he likes the look of the pre-facelift!

ok i like the pre face lift model!

BMW 320D one of the best handling cars on the road good looks and very sporty...However the older disel cars sound so shit they sound just like tractors...Facelift models have more BHP but i would still got for a 318I or 320I the disels are rather embarassing with its black smoke and f**ked up sound.....

Kiwwa moda kathawak!

Comparing a diesel car engine to a tractor engine is like comparing a petrol car engine to an engine of a three wheeler. Unless you have gone and listned to a 320d with a broken damper pulley or an exhaust, most modern diesels, including japanese cars have vastly improved since the mid nineties. BMW is introducing diesels back again to the US. Try doing some research. The 320d pre facelift does have a bass sound to it, but not the clutter of a tractor. Common rails have totally eliminated this with the removal of mechanical diesel pumps. Black smoke, sluggish performance is a thing of a past era.

The type of diesels you are refering to are only found in Tatas and Mahendras!

Just to add my two cents there are a few common niggles in the pre-facelift 320D one of them is squeaky doors - very common due to the cars originally having the matt black door surrounds that can be fixed by replacing these with the chrome ones - example in the add listed here the surrounds have been swapped to chrome. Costs about 25K at M's. The turbo definitely needs looking after and that should be the first thing you check. If the engine indeed sounds like a tractor - without a doubt there is something wrong with it so run a mile! I used a 65- 2000 model for a couple of years and the car was excellent - but check the suspension out - as these cars are now old in years so shocks may need replacing. About 65k for the whole lot including the shocks / bumper stops. .etc ..etc. Not really that different to the pricing of jap car suspension in this case. Lower arm bushes and lower arms need to be checked for play - a simple test drive will tell you immediately if the lower arm bushes need replacing. Generally the arms themselves last much longer but expect to change the bushes every so many years. Check the state of the brake pads and rotors as well. In BMW's its quite common to have to replace both rotors and pads as the rotors themselves are quite thin. Generally avoid surfacing the rotors as they are quite thin and any surfacing will significantly shorten any life left in them. Replacement rotors are about 6k per new. Avoid recon as they may be in worse condition than your own. Check the power windows as the E46's are prone to window regulator failures - listen for creaks though this is not a significant repair replacement regulators are about 12 - 15k. Also check the clutch condition as the 320D is a very high torque engine. Also check the condition of the exhaust as their may be rust.

Cheers & Good Luck,

MadMMx

Edited by MadMMX
  • Like 1

just one more question, is it possible to fix a M3 front bumper to a nomarl sedan pre facelift 320D?

Yes, but its the M sport bumper that you can fix. Not sure if the bumper on the m3 can be fitted on. If i am not mistaken the coupe bumper cannot be fitted on to the sedan. I might be wrong though

Yes, but its the M sport bumper that you can fix. Not sure if the bumper on the m3 can be fitted on. If i am not mistaken the coupe bumper cannot be fitted on to the sedan. I might be wrong though

M sport and M3 have the same bumper right?

and do these cars usually have a manual transmission? or will i be able to find a automatic as well?

Edited by JayD

The M3 bumper and M Spot bumper may vary in fitment to the car. Best is to ask the expert or the agents if its doable.

I haven't seen any diesel pre-facelift auto E46 cars in SL. If there are, I am sure they will demand a high price due to their rarity.

The M3 bumper and M Spot bumper may vary in fitment to the car. Best is to ask the expert or the agents if its doable.

I haven't seen any diesel pre-facelift auto E46 cars in SL. If there are, I am sure they will demand a high price due to their rarity.

exactly i have never seen one either, will it be possible to replace the manual gearbox with an automatic?

Kiwwa moda kathawak!

Comparing a diesel car engine to a tractor engine is like comparing a petrol car engine to an engine of a three wheeler. Unless you have gone and listned to a 320d with a broken damper pulley or an exhaust, most modern diesels, including japanese cars have vastly improved since the mid nineties. BMW is introducing diesels back again to the US. Try doing some research. The 320d pre facelift does have a bass sound to it, but not the clutter of a tractor. Common rails have totally eliminated this with the removal of mechanical diesel pumps. Black smoke, sluggish performance is a thing of a past era.

The type of diesels you are refering to are only found in Tatas and Mahendras!

There are plenty of 320D's in town that sound really crappy and a decent amount of smoke when the turbo kicks in.... 318I 0r 320I would be better and more refined

exactly i have never seen one either, will it be possible to replace the manual gearbox with an automatic?

First you wanted to replace the engine, then the bumper, now the gearbox... (except maybe the bumper) these are not plug and play like computer parts. If you have so many issues with the stock 320d, maybe you should find a different car.

• Like 1

First you wanted to replace the engine, then the bumper, now the gearbox... (except maybe the bumper) these are not plug and play like computer parts. If you have so many issues with the stock 320d, maybe you should find a different car.

:D

There are plenty of 320D's in town that sound really crappy and a decent amount of smoke when the turbo kicks in.... 318I 0r 320I would be better and more refined

I agree that most 320d pre facelifts on the road are in horrid condition. And tractor sounds associated with the engines are due to poor maintanance. You see, most of these cars were imported under permit schemes for cheap and misused most of the time. Thats the reason why you see a huge price variation between a average car and a pristine example. Sometime up to half a million.

Ofcourse the 318's and 320's are more refined. Thats the characteristic of a petrol engine. You need to drive a common rail diesel bmw and see the level of refinement in gear. I found my car whilst looking for a facelift 318i. And the level of refinement i found when driving it, made me change my opinion on diesels (talking CRDI engines).

im very much used to automatic and really don't want to go back to manual transmission

I agree that most 320d pre facelifts on the road are in horrid condition. And tractor sounds associated with the engines are due to poor maintanance. You see, most of these cars were imported under permit schemes for cheap and misused most of the time. Thats the reason why you see a huge price variation between a average car and a pristine example. Sometime up to half a million.

Ofcourse the 318's and 320's are more refined. Thats the characteristic of a petrol engine. You need to drive a common rail diesel bmw and see the level of refinement in gear. I found my car whilst looking for a facelift 318i. And the level of refinement i found when driving it, made me change my opinion on diesels (talking CRDI engines).

but driving a 2 litrs petrol engine car would be too costly isnt it?

im very much used to automatic and really don't want to go back to manual transmission

so buy a car with automatic transmission.

but driving a 2 litrs petrol engine car would be too costly isnt it?

you're considering shelling out on a 520d and you're worried about this??

unless you drive really a lot, the money you save (upfront purchase, insurance and maintenance) on a petrol will pay for the extra cost of fuel (for most cars, don't know specifically about BMWs).

so buy a car with automatic transmission.

you're considering shelling out on a 520d and you're worried about this??

unless you drive really a lot, the money you save (upfront purchase, insurance and maintenance) on a petrol will pay for the extra cost of fuel (for most cars, don't know specifically about BMWs).

well im not interested in 520d, im interested in 320d :)

a automatic 320d will be perfect :)

Thats just the day to day running costs for fuel. The maintenance and repairs compared to a diesel are less and comparatively a less burden on the purse.

yeah im aware of that, but i dont drive around much so there's very less chance that my car will have high maintenance cost

then wtf did you open this thread for??

but i dont drive around much so there's very less chance that my car will have high maintenance cost

excellent justification to purchase a diesel car. enjoy whatever you end up buying and incidentally please let us know the registration number of it.

a automatic 320d will be perfect :)

yeah im aware of that, but i dont drive around much so there's very less chance that my car will have high maintenance cost

To cut the convo short, there are no AUTO pre-facelift diesels as far as I am concerned. Best place to clarify that 100% would be the expert or the agents (especially since most E46 320D's were brought down on permits). Also, if you planing to get a diesel and not run it much, DON'T buy it. It will give you more trouble than a car that has been actually run a lot. I have seen cars with less mileage 30k-40k miles having failures(turbo, gearbox, etc.) and undergoing engine repairs at the expert.

You are better off getting a petrol.

Edited by Rukster

To cut the convo short, there are no AUTO pre-facelift diesels as far as I am concerned. Best place to clarify that 100% would be the expert or the agents (especially since most E46 320D's were brought down on permits). Also, if you planing to get a diesel and not run it much, DON'T buy it. It will give you more trouble than a car that has been actually run a lot. I have seen cars with less mileage 30k-40k miles having failures(turbo, gearbox, etc.) and undergoing engine repairs at the expert.

You are better off getting a petrol.

Couldnt agree more. I bought my car with around 39k Km on the clock and not been used for one year. Had to replace, few sensors that ideally shouldnt need replacement until about 150k Km.

Just to add,

BMW's are generally in much better condition when they're constantly being used rather than sitting in a garage collecting dust. Generally when their not moving the rubber parts tend to weaken and perish - not to mention becoming victims of rats. For some odd reason rats love to much the wiring harness's in bmw's. Saw a very new facelist diesel at prestige come in once with the entire left and right front engine wiring harnesses chewed through. The car was up for sale the next week. Since prestige didn't actually replace the wire harnesses and rather repaired them I shudder to think what issues may arise for that fellow down the line. And mind you that car was fully loaded !!

But in general BMW's need to run constantly and be looked after. :) Buying a very low milage one may be good on the one hand and terrible on the other when you need to get it going. May have to change out stuff like lower under arm bushings .. oil sealing o-rings ..etc to get it back into good nick.

Cheers,

MadMMx