• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best reliable 4WD Truck or Ute in auto

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing great!

After years of trouble free motoring, my Dad ended up selling his trusty Hilux LN166 SR5 Wide Body (attached a photo), now in the market for a reliable Truck or a Ute.

The only reason for him to part with his Hilux was that due to his age, he had bad left knee pain and it was getting worse after driving the manual Hilux.

He is mainly looking at the KZJ95 Prado but so far he has had no luck with something to match his taste, his backup option is to go for a Nissan D22 with a QD32-T engine which he has found a true survivor with a genuine 200k on the clock.

Dad has a 12 million budget to spend.

Concerns:

Fuel consumption: My experience with both models is 10 - 11KM/L here in NZ, but is it fair to say in SL they do about 8KM/L in the mix driving??

Spare Parts (engine, body, suspension, etc): I believe Prado parts (engine, body, suspension, etc) are widely available but I believe D22 parts are not that common??

Reliability: My experience is not bad with the 1KZ-TE and QD32-T but I have heard the QD32-ETI injector pump tends to fail and is not as reliable as the 1KZ-TE pump, any idea?

Please share any of your thoughts, or experiences so I can point my Dad in the right direction since things are different in SL compared to where I live.

P.S. He has an allergy to Taiwan Ute's and is scared to have too many sensors because he is old school 🤩

IMG_0351.JPG

Edited by john cooper

Machang does your dad want a 4wd? If he is ok with a 2WD option the D22 model came with the old TD27 engine as well. Place of manufacture I am not sure as they would have come brand new. Another good option would be the newer Hilux models that came after your model.

• Thanks 1

Why not a 70 series land cruiser with a 1KZ or 1HZ, Even a 80 series would be possible in that budget

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Machang does your dad want a 4wd? If he is ok with a 2WD option the D22 model came with the old TD27 engine as well. Place of manufacture I am not sure as they would have come brand new. Another good option would be the newer Hilux models that came after your model.

Thank you for your reply bro.

The vehicle has to have 4WD, they still drive to the remote land that they hold onto.

Wasn't able to find a good Ute with a TD therefore the QD model.

N70 wasn't an option because Dad doesn't want Thai made, UK import Ute. Ha ha

I know, he makes things bit complicated.

4 hours ago, tiv said:

Why not a 70 series land cruiser with a 1KZ or 1HZ, Even a 80 series would be possible in that budget

He has got a bit of a soft spot for 70 series but he doesn't like the body permits and all those saga’s

My vote is for a Prado 120 TZ. Slightly bit more than 12mil but can be negotiated into that.

It’s much better than the 95 series and much comfier than a truck.

1. Quieter.

2.Comfier.

3. Rides better.

4. Better sound insulation.

5.Height control for easy access/bad roads.

6.many more creature comforts.

7.cops don't bother you as much.

8. Much newer.

9. Proven reliability.

10. Lastly easy to live and sell.

bonus- the cops don’t bother you that much. 

Also “Pestigee eka supiri machan” 😅

44 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

My vote is for a Prado 120 TZ. Slightly bit more than 12mil but can be negotiated into that.

It’s much better than the 95 series and much comfier than a truck.

1. Quieter.

2.Comfier.

3. Rides better.

4. Better sound insulation.

5.Height control for easy access/bad roads.

6.many more creature comforts.

7.cops don't bother you as much.

8. Much newer.

9. Proven reliability.

10. Lastly easy to live and sell.

bonus- the cops don’t bother you that much. 

Also “Pestigee eka supiri machan” 😅

yeah also the "Reputation" from baiyyas "Prado eke awa SIR"😆 etc etc..

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

yeah also the "Reputation" from baiyyas "Prado eke awa SIR"😆 etc etc..

💯 

Have you guys seen them tiktoks with the sound -

“meken bahiddi amuthu gammak enne”thing?

cringe overload. Makes me want to crash into a truck.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fiat fan said:

💯

Have you guys seen them tiktoks with the sound -

“meken bahiddi amuthu gammak enne”thing?

cringe overload. Makes me want to crash into a truck.

Nope, Maybe it’s from one of those “yaka squad FB groups” sadly not in FB..

On 5/18/2024 at 1:16 PM, john cooper said:

He has got a bit of a soft spot for 70 series but he doesn't like the body permits and all those saga’s

But there are a handful of brand-new agent imports that are in pretty good shape. Some of them had been imported by "avid" car people who ended up holding on to them. Saw one up for sale a few weeks ago. So Dad should keep an eye out for these as well.

As for the newer Hiluxes....yes..they are Thai-made but actually pretty good and quite robust. Okay..the one I had for work at the field offices (not in SL), we thrashed them and literally rolled them down rivers and looked like garbage after years, but they ran. You are unfortunately stuck with the reality that most that were imported to SL were either UK farm trucks or SmartCabs from Thailand. Again....if a 4 door comes up he should keep his eyes open for one....just incase.

As for the 120 Prado...if he they plan to do any kind of long distance travel...try to go for the diesel...plenty of 2.7K petrols around. They are quite weak...good to be plumping around town and on a highway but any long distance travel with any weight on it one would feel rather miserable.

No idea what the local prices are like but how about a Fortuner or a newer Pajero Sport (facelifted variants for both if possible but definitely for the Pajero). Again...yes..Thai made...but pretty good and have held up quite well.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, iRage said:

But there are a handful of brand-new agent imports that are in pretty good shape. Some of them had been imported by "avid" car people who ended up holding on to them. Saw one up for sale a few weeks ago. So Dad should keep an eye out for these as well.

As for the newer Hiluxes....yes..they are Thai-made but actually pretty good and quite robust. Okay..the one I had for work at the field offices (not in SL), we thrashed them and literally rolled them down rivers and looked like garbage after years, but they ran. You are unfortunately stuck with the reality that most that were imported to SL were either UK farm trucks or SmartCabs from Thailand. Again....if a 4 door comes up he should keep his eyes open for one....just incase.

As for the 120 Prado...if he they plan to do any kind of long distance travel...try to go for the diesel...plenty of 2.7K petrols around. They are quite weak...good to be plumping around town and on a highway but any long distance travel with any weight on it one would feel rather miserable.

No idea what the local prices are like but how about a Fortuner or a newer Pajero Sport (facelifted variants for both if possible but definitely for the Pajero). Again...yes..Thai made...but pretty good and have held up quite well.

Dad is actively looking for ads

120 series is clearly out of his budget range. One or two he did try to negotiate but he wasn't able to convince the owners.

He has sort of set his mind on Pre face lift D22 that he is going to check and the KZJ95

His only worry is the fuel consumption figures on Prado, because my parents do a bit of travelling and might cost them way more than they expected.

Edited by john cooper

1 hour ago, john cooper said:

His only worry is the fuel consumption figures on Prado, because my parents do a bit of travelling and might cost them way more than they expected.

Stay away from the Petrol Prados...thankfully not many petrol 90 series around :) But a petrol 120 is the most likely to fit withing the budget as well. Just fight the temptation. No to the 2.7L petrol. There are a few 4L petrol ones around....quite fun. But that will also have to be bought with an investment in a fuel bowser :)

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Stay away from the Petrol Prados...thankfully not many petrol 90 series around :) But a petrol 120 is the most likely to fit withing the budget as well. Just fight the temptation. No to the 2.7L petrol. There are a few 4L petrol ones around....quite fun. But that will also have to be bought with an investment in a fuel bowser :)

And most of the 4L (V6?) ones came with Air Suspension which is a costly affair when it comes to maintenance.

• Like 1

Dad gave a miss to a good one due to

Missing tax papers (Luxury Tax) they all on the RMV system but the RMV said paper copies are handy to have because they are not sure if the records on their system are true. lol

1 hour ago, john cooper said:

Missing tax papers (Luxury Tax) they all on the RMV system but the RMV said paper copies are handy to have because they are not sure if the records on their system are true.

Huh? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The paper copy might not be true, but the system is the absolute truth? Where else can you get luxury tax payment info? Can the insurance company give payment receipts? 

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Huh? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The paper copy might not be true, but the system is the absolute truth? Where else can you get luxury tax payment info? Can the insurance company give payment receipts? 

I would totally agree with you. People should trust the system rather than the papers.

My other point is, how long you are going to carry the paper receipt??? 

Don't get me wrong, I think Dad spoke with some senior officer from RMV.

The current owner bought it like this and they are being told the finance company lost them.

Dad actually pulled the plug at the last second just before transferring the payments.

My question is do those tax receipts really need anything now??

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, john cooper said:

My question is do those tax receipts really need anything now??

Knowing our guys...someone somewhere at some point might come up with some BS reasoning to say the luxury taxes were not paid and needs to be paid again.

It will only be a matter of time before some guy forges some fake payment receipts and gets it updated at the RMV, even if the taxes have not been paid.

6 hours ago, john cooper said:

The current owner bought it like this and they are being told the finance company lost them.

That is the other thing....how long can these organizations just go around doing crappy work and screw their customers without taking any accountability for their stupidity? They should have taken the responsibility to go get new copies or take on some kind of liability.

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

Dad has set his mind on the truck due to the condition compared to other truck he checked, so he is hassling his contacts at the RMV to check all the documents from A to Z

As long as he is able to transfer the vehicle to his name without the hard copies, I am sure he won't bother reselling this.

Anyhow, I still don't get this whole hard copy concept in SL

Here is how it's showing under the system.

cc5885d7-cdfc-4a77-a343-0c935251bb83.jpeg

8 minutes ago, john cooper said:

Dad has set his mind on the truck due to the condition compared to other truck he checked, so he is hassling his contacts at the RMV to check all the documents from A to Z

As long as he is able to transfer the vehicle to his name without the hard copies, I am sure he won't bother reselling this.

Anyhow, I still don't get this whole hard copy concept in SL

Here is how it's showing under the system.

cc5885d7-cdfc-4a77-a343-0c935251bb83.jpeg

From what I know if you keep a copy of this it should be ok since it already on the RMV system. There was a case recently a guy called and asked for copies of an old vehicle sold and transferred about 5 years ago. He had bought the vehicle and RMV had told him that the tax payments are shown on system but its best to get copies to confirm before he transfers. I believe its all about getting under hand money. Earlier they used to give a printout and never asked questions.

Same way if you can find the insurance they will also be able to get copies and certify, I havent dealt with these as of recently so I dont know how it is nowadays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

From what I know if you keep a copy of this it should be ok since it already on the RMV system. There was a case recently a guy called and asked for copies of an old vehicle sold and transferred about 5 years ago. He had bought the vehicle and RMV had told him that the tax payments are shown on system but its best to get copies to confirm before he transfers. I believe its all about getting under hand money. Earlier they used to give a printout and never asked questions.

Same way if you can find the insurance they will also be able to get copies and certify, I havent dealt with these as of recently so I dont know how it is nowadays. 

Thank you Bro for your reply.

Do you mean to say the finance company keeps a copy of the tax papers??

2 hours ago, john cooper said:

Do you mean to say the finance company keeps a copy of the tax papers??

Not sure about the finance company (probably does) but the Insurance company should have records of paying the tax as it is paid through them.

I believe the hardcopy thing is also old school mentality. They do not trust the system, partly because they would rather push paper around for ages for the sake of job security (computers are evil and will take their jobs away) and partly because I am sure most of these systems barely work most of the time so data entry might have actually been consistent (went to the tax office last week....had to sit with some people to try to get my account unlocked. Their laptops and desktops were popping up virus guard alerts plus license expiry notifications. The browser took forever to load..like actually start on the computer. Oh yeah...I had to get my account unlocked because it kept saying I was logged in when I have never logged in ever before)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Not sure about the finance company (probably does) but the Insurance company should have records of paying the tax as it is paid through them.

I believe the hardcopy thing is also old school mentality. They do not trust the system, partly because they would rather push paper around for ages for the sake of job security (computers are evil and will take their jobs away) and partly because I am sure most of these systems barely work most of the time so data entry might have actually been consistent (went to the tax office last week....had to sit with some people to try to get my account unlocked. Their laptops and desktops were popping up virus guard alerts plus license expiry notifications. The browser took forever to load..like actually start on the computer. Oh yeah...I had to get my account unlocked because it kept saying I was logged in when I have never logged in ever before)

Hopefully previous owner had it for a while and remembered the name of the insurance company!

16 hours ago, fiat fan said:

There are actually few Prado 120’s been advertised for 12 mil. But they are the 2.7L -!; they are slow like @iRage says. 

Dad is not a gasoline fan, low the low end torque of a diesel.