• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carina Gt Engine Sound

unixman

Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a used Carina GT of 1997 model. It has a black top engine. What worries me about this car is a characteristic engine sound. When idling, it makes a tig tig tig sound along with the normal engine hum. The current owner says it's normal for this 1.6L twin cam enigne, which is probably a 4AGE. Is he correct?

Other than the sound, this car looks very well maintained. The owner is a car fan and seems to know everything about cars.

Please help me as I really want to buy this superb looking car. It even comes with a manual gear.

Hi, please get a mechanic or somebody to check if the noise is being caused by noisy tappets, if so though it is sometimes acceptable to have a bit of tappet noise at low rpm that disappears when you rev up and then disappear completely when the engine is warmer, it does indicate quite a bit of wear on the engine

but that noise could be something totally different, maybe somebody who owns a Carina GT can comments,

Regards,

The Don

The ticking noise can be two things either the Injector noise or piston slap. The carina GT has a very loud injector ticking noise. If it's a piston slap noise it will go off when the the car engine is very warm. Good if u can find a mechanic who could identify both sounds. But mostly i would be the injector noise.