• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Been out for a while, initial thoughts was Mahindra e2o, but doesnt look like one. So maybe a clue would do

Design wise, let's say it probably copied from a Japanese hatchback which is very popular in Sri Lanka. 

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Here goes, this is designed by pinninfarina. I will drop in some clues if you want more. Have seen a few examples on our roads

triv0001.jpg

Triv01.jpg

Ah yes..Die Woo ! Brave in Swahili  thee shall be ! Die Woo ! 

Edited by iRage

50 minutes ago, iRage said:

Ah yes..Die Woo ! Brave in Swahili  thee shall be ! Die Woo ! 

Do you want to go head and talk ugly the so called pinninfarina designed vehicle looks from the front in stark contrast to its other countryman?

17 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Do you want to go head and talk ugly the so called pinninfarina designed vehicle looks from the front in stark contrast to its other countryman?

Well...those nostril grills does make it look like a platypus :) 

I mean okay...they kept the same front design language used in their other cars like the Lanos, Nubira, etc...but it all went wrong when they raised the head lamps and and reshaped the grill to fill up the enpty space.

Daewoo Tacuma it is. Over to you @iRage

39 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well...those nostril grills does make it look like a platypus :) 

I mean okay...they kept the same front design language used in their other cars like the Lanos, Nubira, etc...but it all went wrong when they raised the head lamps and and reshaped the grill to fill up the enpty space.

They had some weird designs, luckily they didnt bother as they faded away in the 2000s. I used to think they were called Daewood with the D having fallen off those Kangaroo cab Daewoo Racers. 

Triv00.jpg

triv000.jpg

Kangaroo cab Daewoo Racers

😮 I do not remember  seeing Daewoo racers as taxi's at any point... come to think of it I can't seem to  recall what Kangaroo used to have back in the day. Was it Kangaroo who used to have an ad in the back cover of the yellow pages or was it some other taxi service?

3 hours ago, matroska said:

😮 I do not remember  seeing Daewoo racers as taxi's at any point... come to think of it I can't seem to  recall what Kangaroo used to have back in the day. Was it Kangaroo who used to have an ad in the back cover of the yellow pages or was it some other taxi service?

Man this makes me look old. Daewoo Racers were the cars used by 588588 those days. I am talking 1990s. Cant remember the ad but they were like the only ones who were prominent those days.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Man this makes me look old. Daewoo Racers were the cars used by 588588 those days. I am talking 1990s. Cant remember the ad but they were like the only ones who were prominent those days.

well that does make two of us - I do remember the late 90's and there was a taxi ad on the back of the yellow pages. I think it was 588 588 (which then became kangaroo). Around 2001 - I remember by grandfather returning home from hospital in a 588 588 car.  I don't remember if it was a Daewoo racer - maybe it was. Wonder what happened to them? scrapped? Maybe the occasional racer that pops up time to time in the ad's are such survivors.  

EDIT : 

Btw wasn't there something called Radio Cabs? It had a similar number - I vaguely remember hearing that name when I was very small - I'm talking mid 90's here. Come the new millennium there was an influx of van's as cabs - maybe due to lower diesel prices or a lower import tax on vans... there was something called 'shah' cabs who operated a fleet of vans. They had a yard/office in the lane adjacent to the one our house was on...this mean there were half a dozen vans with the livery parked on our lane in the early hours.  

Edited by matroska

Okay..here is a car with a Royal past....hopefully she still remains with a party/family that has/had a stake in one of the oldest regal establishments in the country (although Q0S has gone down over the past few years...the sunset views are spectacular...albeit somewhat hindered by manmade land).

Quite an easy car to identify...it is beleived that the Roayl who bought this car did so with a payment plan :)

image.png.601a5a8e45ab41905b8072851c365f26.png

13 hours ago, matroska said:

Wonder what happened to them? scrapped? Maybe the occasional racer that pops up time to time in the ad's are such survivors.  

I think they are still running around used by people who never knew that these were cabs back in the day. Check the car sale sites you will come across a few.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I remembered the old TV series Brum when I saw those headlights

18 hours ago, iRage said:

Loved that series. But was Brum based on this ?

Nah I dont think so, maybe styled after the Morris's of old (radiator). Its just the headlights that gives it a Brum like look

Edited by Gummybr

On 10/3/2024 at 5:49 AM, iRage said:

Okay..here is a car with a Royal past....hopefully she still remains with a party/family that has/had a stake in one of the oldest regal establishments in the country (although Q0S has gone down over the past few years...the sunset views are spectacular...albeit somewhat hindered by manmade land).

Quite an easy car to identify...it is beleived that the Roayl who bought this car did so with a payment plan :)

Isnt it still with them? This made me search more on the royalty and the lineage of the family makes me think that these guys are "okkoma yaluwo malli"

Since its been more than 24 hours. Standard 9. Funnily its still registered under Prince of Greece, meaning it never changed ownership all these years.

https://www.sundaytimes.lk/210411/news/spotlight-on-prince-philips-first-personal-car-at-galle-face-hotel-439689.html

13 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Isnt it still with them? This made me search more on the royalty and the lineage of the family makes me think that these guys are "okkoma yaluwo malli"

Since its been more than 24 hours. Standard 9. Funnily its still registered under Prince of Greece, meaning it never changed ownership all these years.

https://www.sundaytimes.lk/210411/news/spotlight-on-prince-philips-first-personal-car-at-galle-face-hotel-439689.html

Yes...Standard 9 it is :) Its wonderful that it is still preserved. Too bad Sri Lanka doesn't have an automobile museum where all these cars and be stored in one place.

On 10/5/2024 at 7:25 PM, Gummybr said:

Here goes. Seen a few around would have been the ideal design for future vehicles to be based on

markup_1000039994 (1).jpg

How about a little clue? ☺️

1 hour ago, amsandun said:

How about a little clue? ☺️

What kind of clue do you want my esteemed friend? Can I say its from a mainstream manufacturer, built in the 1990s. This was the first generation of its kind, havent seen any later generation vehicles in Sri Lanka. Mid engined people carrier. There is a font by the name of the vehicle on microsoft office.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

What kind of clue do you want my esteemed friend? Can I say its from a mainstream manufacturer, built in the 1990s. This was the first generation of its kind, havent seen any later generation vehicles in Sri Lanka. Mid engined people carrier. There is a font by the name of the vehicle on microsoft office.

Toyota Previa?

42 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Well, with some doubts, my guess is a Nissan Quest? The doubt I got is the door handle shown in your image as that kind of handle is not available in the first gen of this model.

14 hours ago, Duan27 said:

Toyota Previa?

Yes this would be the 1st Gen Previa, what we have in Sri Lanka are called Estima Lucida. Over to you @Duan27

14 hours ago, Gummybr said:

@amsandun I think you didnt see the clues to the answer.

Yes this would be the 1st Gen Previa, what we have in Sri Lanka are called Estima Lucida. Over to you @Duan27

@amsandun I think you didnt see the clues to the answer.

Lucida font family of course... 😄 And also struck my mind why you called me esteemed while I'm not...😂 Yeah guess I missed them anyway and then wondered whether there was a font named Toyota or Previa in MS Office Suite.