• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Ax-1 Bike

Cyclist

Hi Guys

Im sorry if this is in a wrong section, Im planning to buy an Honda AX-1 motor bike.. I found a decent quality one for near 200K registered in 2009 with 14000 on the odo. If there is anyone here who owns one or knows well about this bike, please let me know what are the thing to look for before buying it? Thanks

very good bike. if maintained well should last a very long time without issues.

i would check for blue smoke...tell-tale sign for either worn pistons/rings or oil seepage through valve seats. can be somewhat expensive to fix.

also check the suspension. especially the rear mono.

I wouldn't trust the ODO reading cos that is very easy to meddle with.

Other things to check is the general condition of body parts, chassis for corrorion, accident damage and what not. Also see if it's extensively modded. Some times those "mods" are hiding what lies beneath.

If it's a good specimen...you can't go wrong with an AX-1.

i would check for blue smoke...tell-tale sign for either worn pistons/rings or oil seepage through valve seats. can be somewhat expensive to fix.

Other things to check is the general condition of body parts, chassis for corrorion, accident damage and what not. Also see if it's extensively modded. Some times those "mods" are hiding what lies beneath.

Thanks Ripper, I'll be watching for that. anything else ? any owners ?

• 3 months later...

Hi Ripper, got myself a AX-1 last week mate, its in a pretty bad shape as it wasn't taken care well at all and lots of things are not working! but the Engine and carb are superb , so I think rebuilding it would worth the effort and money. I will update here when its completed :)

Things to be fixed

1. Replace starter motor armature ( shaft busted)
  2. Replace starter reduction gear
  3. Replace starter clutch
  4. Replace / Repair Silencer
  5. Replace / Repair Rear shock
  6. Repair radiator fan / replace thermostatic switch
  7. Replace tires with Dunlops
  8. Lubricating and de-rusting !
  9. Electricals, fuses , insulating
  10. (new paint and stickers)
  11. etc !

congrats machang! if you attend to those issues and look after it.... it should server you well :)

I would not attempt to repair the rear shock here mate, you should be able to pick up a decent used one from a breaker joint.

My rear shock too is kaput and i suffered big time on a round the island trip. having a your shocks in good order is a must imho.

good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got most of the things fixed and it is roaring now :)

Here are the costs so far, hope some one will find these useful when repairing there ax-1s.

Many of the parts are from Panchikawattha breaker joints, I can give contact numbers if anyone requires. Anything on the ax-1 is so expensive as if its made of gold!

starter motor armature - Rs. 5500

Starter motor carbon brushes - replaced with GS125 brush set - Rs.750

Oil filter  - replaced with a Bajaj Boxer Oil filter  : ~Rs. 60  :)

Replace starter reduction gear wheel + idle gear + needle bearings + washers- Rs. 5000

Replace starter clutch + fly wheel + starter driven gear + needle bearing - Rs.15000

Repair radiator fan / thermostatic switch - ( they worked after cleaning and proper installation )

Lubricating and de-rusting  

Wires, fuses , insulating, bulbs and fixing cracks in the plastics  

New handle grips n chest guard pad - 1000

many other small parts such as nuts and bolts , washers  

Tires ( 15K)  /  Paint (?) / rear shock ( 18K!) / chain n sprockets (?) still to attend to.

Loved when everything worked smoothly after all the effort. :) Had a nice ride about 20kms of Urapola - Ruwanwella road which is very close to where I live. Absolutely thrilled about the ride! Looking forward to a longer ride soon.

sounds good cyclist.

the oil filter meant for an indian bikes...i would never take a chance with an oil filter mate. always use a quality one and at that price....one would assume it isn't of good quality.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, how did u start the bike before fixing the motor? Did u run with pressed clutch and released in gear? :rolleyes:

you can jump start it easily. drop into neutral....push it fast a bit and quickly jump in and shift to second...

that's what i do when the battery goes south

you can jump start it easily. drop into neutral....push it fast a bit and quickly jump in and shift to second...

that's what i do when the battery goes south

Thats what I did too :) I had to do a quick stand and sit back at seat at the same time I release the clutch too. Thats adds some more weight on the rear tire for better grip. Guess that's the normal practice :)

Just out of curiosity, how did u start the bike before fixing the motor? Did u run with pressed clutch and released in gear? :rolleyes:

yes, additionally a jump at the rear of the seat at the same time I released the clutch. Actually I had to push it up for about an hour before it finally fired up. Good cardio exercise LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

how is your rear sprocket attached?

mine seems to be.....riveted.....doesnt strike me as being right?

having a chain and sprocket set brought out to me this week hopefully from the uk along with a k&n oil filter so will have to tackle this issue very soon as my chain is very much in the danger zone :(

how is your rear sprocket attached?

mine seems to be.....riveted.....doesnt strike me as being right?

having a chain and sprocket set brought out to me this week hopefully from the uk along with a k&n oil filter so will have to tackle this issue very soon as my chain is very much in the danger zone :(

They are reverted alright! you have to buy a compatible sprocket.

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/sprkt-comp-final_41200kw3010/

sprkt-compfinal_big41200KW3010-02_8a65.jpg

Hi Cyclist,

A good full paint job will cost you less than 25000/= i mean without ripping the bike totally. but best is to rip it fully and redo it, that way you can find glitches and you will know the naked truth from the frame to the body :) usually garage fellows charge around 5000/= to rip and re-fix.

All in all, AX-1 is pretty good bike, if taken care properly.

Also try using the first gear, then push to start, that way, with a very short distance can jump start. that's how i did when my VTR stalled long time back :)

Edited by Biker boy

Hi Cyclist,

A good full paint job will cost you less than 25000/= i mean without ripping the bike totally. but best is to rip it fully and redo it, that way you can find glitches and you will know the naked truth from the frame to the body :) usually garage fellows charge around 5000/= to rip and re-fix.

All in all, AX-1 is pretty good bike, if taken care properly.

Also try using the first gear, then push to start, that way, with a very short distance can jump start. that's how i did when my VTR stalled long time back :)

Thanks Biker boy, I think I'm going to rip it myself and take whats necessary for painting, as you said correctly , that's the only way to get to know the bike completely.

and starting on 1st gear is so hard with the AX-1 ! believe me :)

yeah i find 2nd much easier to bump start with too.

had a propper look at my rear sprocket today when i had a new tyre fitted....then ordered the right sprocket so thanks for that mate :)

got some shocking wiring on my bike, alot of wires twisted together and just tape over them, going to have to strip mine to sort my lights out

got some shocking wiring on my bike, alot of wires twisted together and just tape over them, going to have to strip mine to sort my lights out

Let me know if you need the electrical diagram for ax-1, actually I have the full NX250 manual which is 95% compatible to AX-1. cheers

Got my sprockets and chain on Saturday :) :) got myself a k&n oil filter a front pads while I was at it too!

Yeah I've got the nx250 manual too, thanks for the offer though mate.

Is looking like I may have to sell the bike though as I may be moving back to the uk soon

Got my sprockets and chain on Saturday :) :) got myself a k&n oil filter a front pads while I was at it too!

Yeah I've got the nx250 manual too, thanks for the offer though mate.

Is looking like I may have to sell the bike though as I may be moving back to the uk soon

Cool, I might need new Sprocket n chain soon too , busted a rear sprocket pin out, may be the old sprocket cant bear my wheelies attempts anymore lol :)

DID gold link chain with Japanese sprockets may cost 10k-12k here. ( i thought 6-7k , just found im wrong there) How much did you spent on them ?

and too bad you are selling the bike, well, we cant keep them for ever , can we ? :)

Edited by Cyclist

I paid £80 for a TKR heavy duty chain, sprockets, pads and the k&n oil filter with delivery to the uk.

Had the chain and sprockets changed today as i have no tools here to do any work but it only cost be 400 rupes!

So yes i paid a lot but with drivetrain and brakes i wanted peace of mind it wasnt going to snap on me when im in the middle of nowhere.

apon removal found than one of my pins was also busted so your not alone there mate!

I paid £80 for a TKR heavy duty chain, sprockets, pads and the k&n oil filter with delivery to the uk.

Had the chain and sprockets changed today as i have no tools here to do any work but it only cost be 400 rupes!

So yes i paid a lot but with drivetrain and brakes i wanted peace of mind it wasnt going to snap on me when im in the middle of nowhere.

apon removal found than one of my pins was also busted so your not alone there mate!

cool , I need to work on the drive train n brakes too, both disks worn beyond service limit , I hope I can find replacement parts in breaker joints :( !

Edited by Cyclist

• 9 years later...