• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dried Compound On Windscreen

Crosswind

Quick question. If there's dried compound on the windscreen, whats the best way to get rid of it, without damaging the windscreen? Will brasso or silvo do?

Thanks in advance

'Crosswind',

There are so many compounds what is the compound you have on the W/S is it water or petroleum based.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Crosswind',

There are so many compounds what is the compound you have on the W/S is it water or petroleum based.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Not sure about that. The cut and polish guy has done a shabby job and has dropped some compound on the corner of windscreen. I didn't notice it for a few days because I wasn't driving that car. When I saw it at first, I thought it was bird poo.

Nevertheless, since you are an expert in windscreen related matters, what's the best way to get rid of it (taking both the cases - water based and petroleum based).

Not sure about that. The cut and polish guy has done a shabby job and has dropped some compound on the corner of windscreen. I didn't notice it for a few days because I wasn't driving that car. When I saw it at first, I thought it was bird poo.

Nevertheless, since you are an expert in windscreen related matters, what's the best way to get rid of it (taking both the cases - water based and petroleum based).

'Crosswind',

If cut and polish man had done this that will be definitely water based try little hot water not very hot on that rub and clean same with a paint brush then it will go off.

If you are passing my way please call in to my Work shop.I will do it free of charge. AS I have other solvents too.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I always love to have an Ultra clear Windscreen. Has tested many solvents in the history and virtually you can clean any residue. In the enviorenment there are so many contaminants which get deposited on WS. Also we tend to paste stuff like wax or polish. All these stuff are solveable in either hydrocrbon, light acids or in light alkaline. The catch is this should not damamge your plastics (right below the WS), paint and metal. So plenty of water must be handy. Because when you wash, the solvant get sprayed on paint and also when drains it drains through vents near the engine compartment. You do not need an acid to plae it self in the vents.

The usable solvants are.....

Vinagar as an acid

Alchohol (concentrated and light)

Iso Prophyl Alcohol (Surgical spirit)

Keroscene

Concentrated soap

Or Chlorine based products (take extreme care with plastic and paint) on specific spots

VIM Liquid

White tooth paste (use on specific spots).

When ever someone buy a used car or when they neglect their car windshields, I have helped them by removing films and small particles of contamination. Some people has said..hey I feel there is no windscreen.

By the way, pay attention, use lot of water to rinse off the solvants (I put a pipe on windshield and tie it to somewhere and make it run for 10 minutes).

For very bad windshields, you may need to apply above one after other for several times for several days.

Finally wash the Wiper blades with mild car wash. Replace them with good brands, and wash the blade tips every week in summer and every day in rainy days.

Edited by varunatech

surgical spirit and chlorine? seriously?

the best way to clean a windshield is water, liquid soap and newspaper. It would remove basically everything and help you avoid exposure to needless chemicals in the process.

Yes, Surgical spirit or Iso Propyl alchohol is used in many good windshield washers too.

This hiuse hold alchohol will remove the Hydrocarbon based deposits.

I did not ask to use pure chlorine, I was specific to use chlorine based product on a specific spot, if the thing is nasty.

My friend soap and newspaper will no good when you try to clean at least the diesl and engine oil contaninant. Which you get daily from busses, lorries and engine oil from two stroke three wheelers.

This thin film will be like a mist when you drive in rain and specially at night.

Soap and newspaper just show you it as nice when you just wash the car.

The real test comes when you drive at night in a rain for hours.

Clear vision means safety.............