• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corona 94

gti89

Question

hi everybody!!

I bought a toyota corona (1994) model diesel recently. after sometimes i realised that the engine of the car doesnt sound good as a normal other diesel vehicle cars. what would be the reasons behind this?

1. does its engine needs to be tuned up?

2. or is it a silencer's problem?

to be honest, i dont see any oil leakage or oil reduction.

please gimme some suggestions on this issue

thanks

6 answers to this question

hi everybody!!

I bought a toyota corona (1994) model diesel recently. after sometimes i realised that the engine of the car doesnt sound good as a normal other diesel vehicle cars. what would be the reasons behind this?

1. does its engine needs to be tuned up?

2. or is it a silencer's problem?

to be honest, i dont see any oil leakage or oil reduction.

please gimme some suggestions on this issue

thanks

I'm not an expert of diesel vehicles. But followings may help.

1. have you tried to adjust tappets, changing of worn out belts, bearings, water pump and cleaning the injectors ? Or any loose wiring harnesses, adjusters, adjustment screws near by running belts?

2. if it's a some sort of blasting noise, can be a leaking exhaust pipe.

Tks.

Edited by mazda zoom

I think I replied to the status with this same issue. However, engine sound may vary on many parameters. The simplest one to look at are openings/cracks in air intake path (trust me an opened air cleaner box gives a sound simillar to one of a broken silencer) maybe loosen clips in air cleaner compartment, then the exhaust manifold and flexible parts of the silencer and barrels. If the sound is like a rattle, AKA taka taka sound, it's usually from the valve shims used in 1C and 2C engines, this sound is quite noticiable in a cold engine though. Plus, the other most noticiable sound in an old diesel could be the sound of injectors and pump. So if simple things like openings in either of manifolds is not the cause, giv it a check to see whether injectors and pump service, re-pressurizing required. Then move on to see whether it's valves related.

As Peri said, this could be very relative and subjective as well. Get a second opinion from a person who's hands on with these type of engines first of all. One small fact for your information, 1C car engine (with air intake on driver side with slightly different air intake manifold) and the 1C van engine (with air intake on passenger side with a straight forward manifold) has different sounds if you listen attentively.

I'm not an expert of diesel vehicles. But followings may help.

1. have you tried to adjust tappets, changing of worn out belts, bearings, water pump and cleaning the injectors ? Or any loose wiring harnesses, adjusters, adjustment screws near by running belts?

2. if it's a some sort of blasting noise, can be a leaking exhaust pipe.

Tks.

thanks for your suggestions mate.. its really appreciably..

best regards