• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Malaysian Cars

Fit Aria

Hi friends,My budjet is Max 1.7 mil for buying a car.I have seen no of proton Gen 2,and Proton Waja,Proton Impian, arround 1.7 Mil and all of these cars are YOM 2006 or 2007 Brand new imported by the agents.Also very low mileage.But if I go behind only for japanese vehicles, I will not be able to find beyond YOM 2000 and mileage is also more than 150000 Km,interior and exterior condititions not satisfactory.As a result obviously I have to expect all the major repairs very soon.Please help me with your ideas between YOM 2007 Auto transmission proton cars and YOM 2000 Japanese cars with the same market price.Thank You.

Edited by Fit Aria

Hi friends,My budjet is Max 1.7 mil for buying a car.I have seen no of proton Gen 2,and Proton Waja,Proton Impian, arround 1.7 Mil and all of these cars are YOM 2006 or 2007 Brand new imported by the agents.Also very low mileage.But if I go behind only for japanese vehicles, I will not be able to find beyond YOM 2000 and mileage is also more than 150000 Km,interior and exterior condititions not satisfactory.As a result obviously I have to expect all the major repairs very soon.Please help me with your ideas between YOM 2007 Auto transmission proton cars and YOM 2000 Japanese cars with the same market price.Thank You.

I think there is this concept in Sri Lanka that after a certain mileage you will have major repairs in a vehicle. I think this is something probably spread by new vehicle importers. The fact is an engine can do probably 300,000Km without a rebuild and in the Sri Lankan context suspension, running gear repairs are unfortunately unavoidable but relatively not that expensive to do, and we've seen situations where even brand new vehicles (like Marutis) suffer from these problems.

So the overriding concern is not year of manufacture, mileage etc but the maintenance record and condition of the vehicle. Also Japanese cars have a reputation of being quite hardy and well built so the key is how you maintain and take care of them.

I have been impressed by the new offerings from Proton but note while the handling of the likes of the Gen 2 is excellent and these vehicles are fairly reliable the interior is still not up to the quality of Japanese vehicles. Also these tend to suffer from a higher rate of depreciation (in a country where vehicles sometimes appreciate not depreciate) and the second hand market is not as competitive and the vehicle will not sell as easily.

But this is an opportunity as well as a threat. Because you get a lot of car for your money and it will be a relatively new model.

So my advice to you is prioritise your concerns, think about what is most important to you, search the market, test drive a few vehicles and then come back and share your thoughts.

Car buying is often a very subjective affair influenced by personal preferences, so first you need to have a good idea of what you want before we can have a discussion. In the end it is your money and there is no such thing as the best car for a particular price :)

• Like 4

I think there is this concept in Sri Lanka that after a certain mileage you will have major repairs in a vehicle. I think this is something probably spread by new vehicle importers. The fact is an engine can do probably 300,000Km without a rebuild and in the Sri Lankan context suspension, running gear repairs are unfortunately unavoidable but relatively not that expensive to do, and we've seen situations where even brand new vehicles (like Marutis) suffer from these problems.

So the overriding concern is not year of manufacture, mileage etc but the maintenance record and condition of the vehicle. Also Japanese cars have a reputation of being quite hardy and well built so the key is how you maintain and take care of them.

I have been impressed by the new offerings from Proton but note while the handling of the likes of the Gen 2 is excellent and these vehicles are fairly reliable the interior is still not up to the quality of Japanese vehicles. Also these tend to suffer from a higher rate of depreciation (in a country where vehicles sometimes appreciate not depreciate) and the second hand market is not as competitive and the vehicle will not sell as easily.

But this is an opportunity as well as a threat. Because you get a lot of car for your money and it will be a relatively new model.

So my advice to you is prioritise your concerns, think about what is most important to you, search the market, test drive a few vehicles and then come back and share your thoughts.

Car buying is often a very subjective affair influenced by personal preferences, so first you need to have a good idea of what you want before we can have a discussion. In the end it is your money and there is no such thing as the best car for a particular price :)

'The Don'

Very good advise.

Members should post like above without unwanted non related Automobile posts.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i was also in the same situation when i bauhgt my Proton savvy, i love the car its much better than the existing indian cars, and most of the aged toyota hatchbacks, it has good 1.2 engine and manual transmission. dont buy savvy automated transmission it has a problem and the sensors cost 30000LKR each and there are 6 of them.