• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

95 Octane & Dvvt, Efi Engine

Ayendri

Hi,

I have a Perodua Viva elite Ezi (purchased in Dec 2010) and was pumping IOC 90octane fuel from the inception and it was doing 13-14Km/L within Colombo city limits & 17Km/L outstation (low country).

My car was also involved in the substandard petrol issue and the entire tank was drained and cleaned by the agents.

They informed me that I should pump only laugf 95octane and nothing else, and i have faithfully pumped as instructed.

However of recent past, i have noticed that the mileage within Colombo city limits has dropped to 8Km/L & outstation to 10km/L.

please advice if there is a relevance between the engine type and the 95 octane petrol?

I normally drive within 2000-2500rpm and the car has done just over 8500kms only.

Would appreciate your comments / advice on this.

Since you bought the car brand-new, please read the owner's manual and pump what the manual recommends. Laugfs also sells Ceypetco petrol. They don't perform any miracle with petrol.

You also mentioned that the agents cleaned your petrol tank. Did they also clean your injectors? How about the fuel pump/fuel filter et. al.?

My suggestion is to get an injector clean up/throttle body clean up done from a place like Asnu Lanka or somewhere.

Edited by Crosswind

Since you bought the car brand-new, please read the owner's manual and pump what the manual recommends. Laugfs also sells Ceypetco petrol. They don't perform any miracle with petrol.

You also mentioned that the agents cleaned your petrol tank. Did they also clean your injectors? How about the fuel pump/fuel filter et. al.?

My suggestion is to get an injector clean up/throttle body clean up done from a place like Asnu Lanka or somewhere.

Hi thanks for your reply. i read the user manual when i bought the car and dont recollect reading sprcifically about the type of petrol to use..or it said 90octane was sufficient. results proven with the previous mileage o 13km/l etc..anyways will read it again

at the agents they had cleaned the filter, throttle and something else.. anyway i called them and they wanted me to bring the car tomorow that they will run a emission test..will hope for the best, and tks for yr reply

Edited by Ayendri

the thing is, Viva is a Malaysian car

and in Malaysia, you only get 95 oct, and 97 Oct. from shell, caltex.

my thought was that the cars might have build to give maximum efficiency from on 95+ oct

so IMO i dont think its the type of fuel that cause the Reduction of KMPL figures

maybe its something else after the affect of bad petrol

since the agents have only cleaned just the petrol tank

Hi thanks for your reply. i read the user manual when i bought the car and dont recollect reading sprcifically about the type of petrol to use..or it said 90octane was sufficient. results proven with the previous mileage o 13km/l etc..anyways will read it again

at the agents they had cleaned the filter, throttle and something else.. anyway i called them and they wanted me to bring the car tomorow that they will run a emission test..will hope for the best, and tks for yr reply

Your engine is designed for Octane 90, you should pump 90. Pumping 95 won't do any good to your engine but it will not harm your engine either (except create a dent on your wallet). Perhaps your agent told you to pump 95 because of the wide understanding that 95 was not contaminated. Anyways I normally pump from Laugfs Orugodawatte, as I felt their meters were accurate, compared to many other sheds.

Quote from Perodua website (http://www.perodua.com.my/news-events/details/94): "All Perodua engines setting allow the use of petrol with RON90 and above."

Your car is still under warranty, so you should try to get as much as possible done from the agents themselves. Ask them to clean the injectors, replace air and petrol filter (assuming the filter is a separate unit in the Viva) and do a tune-up.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

you can use 95 octane if your car engines's compression ratio is above 10:1. otherwise, there is no use.

What really do you mean by that? You cant generalize what fuel to run based on engine compression ratio. Eg. Some EJ20 subaru Sti engines come with ratio's less than 10.