• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maps On Mobile Phone...

Nirosha

Question

Is anyone know how to download google maps for mobile phone (Nokia C5, Galaxy Ace). I saw there is no maps for Sri Lanka for ovi maps in ovi forum. And alternative is google maps. I've download the same but when configuring, there is no Sri Lanka in location. Only India. Please let me know any alternative or suggestions..

17 answers to this question

As a regular runner/cyclist I use the mobile app endomondo to track my workouts. Its a very useful app that used GPS to track your workout and it gives you a a nice detailed analysis on speed/pace etc while also being a nice archive for your workout history. Some of my runs/rides go on for about 4-5 hours. Sometimes even longer; and naturally i'm on pins on how long my phone battery will last cos the GPS really does drain out the battery pretty bad... So I thought of buying one of these external battery packs that substitutes a USB voltage. Right now I have my eye on this particular one:

Portable USB 2600mAh External Mobile Battery Charger

It's for a S3, but since most phones now use the general USB voltage through a micro USB connector, I'm sure it would fit my Galaxy Nexus without a issue. But this is one of them unbranded things coming from china, so I wannabe a bit careful before I plug it into my phone.

Does anyone have any experience with using these external battery packs/chargers? Got any recommendations? I havent seen any such device from a reputed manufacturer yet, and I dont mind spending a bit more on this rather than spend later on a busted phone.

Edited by Watchman

Thanks guys. I am currently using Google Maps. BTW I asked this in last year. :sport-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004:

Whoops, i didnt notice that, anyway i'll help out "watchman" then :P

As a regular runner/cyclist I use the mobile app endomondo to track my workouts. Its a very useful app that used GPS to track your workout and it gives you a a nice detailed analysis on speed/pace etc while also being a nice archive for your workout history. Some of my runs/rides go on for about 4-5 hours. Sometimes even longer; and naturally i'm on pins on how long my phone battery will last cos the GPS really does drain out the battery pretty bad... So I thought of buying one of these external battery packs that substitutes a USB voltage. Right now I have my eye on this particular one:

It's for a S3, but since most phones now use the general USB voltage through a micro USB connector, I'm sure it would fit my Galaxy Nexus without a issue. But this is one of them unbranded things coming from china, so I wannabe a bit careful before I plug it into my phone.

Does anyone have any experience with using these external battery packs/chargers? Got any recommendations? I havent seen any such device from a reputed manufacturer yet, and I dont mind spending a bit more on this rather than spend later on a busted phone.

well having an external battery is fine, but before you do that i guess its better to have an external battery that has same mAh as your primary, or else your phone might get confused with the full charge level

Edit: does this work as a battery or just as a charger?

Edited by Magnum

Would you not be better off buying a larger battery? That way you wouldn't have to worry about carrying things around while running.

Is anyone know how to download google maps for mobile phone (Nokia C5, Galaxy Ace). I saw there is no maps for Sri Lanka for ovi maps in ovi forum. And alternative is google maps. I've download the same but when configuring, there is no Sri Lanka in location. Only India. Please let me know any alternative or suggestions..

nokia C5 works fine with nokia maps,turn to turn navigation, voice guidance.been using for about year, so far fine, and sometimes search function is weird though ,

google maps just show, a map and pathway, but NO voice navigation, so if you drive with it, you've to turn the phone all the way round and round and it's a nice way to crash ,

How about extended battery? like this or these.

I think I saw the kind of thing you are looking at done by Energizer, it was on a for (bad) deal (as usual) on the anything.lk site. So it does exist, you just need to find it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought of a larger battery but the thing is I dont ALWAYS need it. So it's bound to be a hassle at times when i dont need so much battery life, which is why these things seem much friendlier. Plus I'm bit hesitant to plug in unknown (or unreliable) current sources to a smart phone.. it aint no nokia 3310...

@Magnum, basically its a battery that gets charged through USB, and then later in return uses as a power sourse to charge the phone.

Thanks Peri, i shall look out for the energizer one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought of a larger battery but the thing is I dont ALWAYS need it. So it's bound to be a hassle at times when i dont need so much battery life, which is why these things seem much friendlier. Plus I'm bit hesitant to plug in unknown (or unreliable) current sources to a smart phone.. it aint no nokia 3310...

@Magnum, basically its a battery that gets charged through USB, and then later in return uses as a power sourse to charge the phone.

Thanks Peri, i shall look out for the energizer one.

Have a look:

http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-products/mobile-booster.html

Saw something like this in a shop in L Plaza selling only eneloop stuff several months back.

What they had at that time had a low current capacity and was just enough for one charge of my phone. I wanted to use it outstation in a place with no electricity, for a few days stay. As a single charge is not enough for my purpose, did not buy, so can not comment on the product.

Saw something like what Peri mentions - Energizer, in arpico union some time back. Did not buy for same above reasons, so cannot comment. Did not see that at arpico in recent times.

I do use both eneloop rechargeable NiMH bats plus charger and energizer bats plus charger. I prefer the eneloop charger since it shuts of charging when bat is fully charged - or supposed to do so :-), while the energizer one I have is time based so have to use a timer or remember to switch off. Other than that I have not used these long enough to comment further on the brand either.

So far no issues.