• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Jerk

sira

Hi

Jerk on gear shifting

The story behind this

1. 3 months ago my car had an issue with idle up speed. With AC or without AC the engine RPM was rising about

2000 and coming back to 800 within 2 seconds. Then it was repaired, the Idle up units was stuck. It was cleaned

and Petrol filter were replaced at the same time

2. Few weeks ago there was a misfire while driving. Changed the spark plugs, cleaned injectors and replace the air

filter as well.

Now i can see the petrol consumption somewhere 8Km/L . And the sparkplugs are bit a brownish and carbon to the body, please see the picture.

One guy said the distributor is faulty and to fix this you need to have new distributor.

When i shift gears form 2nd to 3rd ,there is jerk coming and when i accelerate on 3rd and 4th gears The engine gets shake, and then only raised the RPM ,in 1,2 seconds. But not instantly. This is new issue.

The spark plugs colour was pure white and it was like a ‘coconut’ previously (8 months ago). also i can remember the engine was shaking when i accelerate on the morning( cold) and if its warm it doesn’t shake.

Can you see any combination of all this issues? Or those are separate issue? Who is the best for this kind of sensitive issues?

Sira

post-12208-008174200 1315365807_thumb.jp

Edited by sira
  • Like 1

Hi

Jerk on gear shifting

The story behind this

1. 3 months ago my car had an issue with idle up speed. With AC or without AC the engine RPM was rising about

2000 and coming back to 800 within 2 seconds. Then it was repaired, the Idle up units was stuck. It was cleaned

and Petrol filter were replaced at the same time

2. Few weeks ago there was a misfire while driving. Changed the spark plugs, cleaned injectors and replace the air

filter as well.

Now i can see the petrol consumption somewhere 8Km/L . And the sparkplugs are bit a brownish and carbon to the body, please see the picture.

One guy said the distributor is faulty and to fix this you need to have new distributor.

When i shift gears form 2nd to 3rd ,there is jerk coming and when i accelerate on 3rd and 4th gears The engine gets shake, and then only raised the RPM ,in 1,2 seconds. But not instantly. This is new issue.

The spark plugs colour was pure white and it was like a ‘coconut’ previously (8 months ago). also i can remember the engine was shaking when i accelerate on the morning( cold) and if its warm it doesn’t shake.

Can you see any combination of all this issues? Or those are separate issue? Who is the best for this kind of sensitive issues?

Sira

sorry for the rep up...accidently clicked that while trying to reply :(

white sparkplugs aren't a good thing mate.

that means the engine has been running lean. lean motors tend to run hot and that aint a good thing.

ideal color of sparks according to many manuals i've read is like a coffee brown color without carbon deposits or oil and the likes.

the plug you have shown in that picture doesn't seem to look bad at all. If the motor is running rich burning extra fuel, you're bound to find black soot and carbon deposits on the sparkplugs.

Like previousposter says...get the mounts checked first and eliminate that factor.

I really dont know much about ek3's but if the spark plugs don't have "coil-on-top" ignition units... like you're mechanic says, the delco aka distributor can be faulty too. If the ignition coil inside the delco has shorted out, from time to time the power supply to the plugs can get cut off.... hence the jerk aka misfire.

Eachtime the engine misfires, unburnt fuel exits the combudtion chamber and that might be why your fuel consumption is low

I had a smiliar issue with my sprinter some years back and luckily it was being fixed by the agents. So they had spare delco to try out and see.

with the new delco problem was sorted so i just go a replacement delco from a breaker shop.

If you have a friend or somebody who owns a similar car... you might be able to their delco unit on yours and see if it works.

sorry for the rep up...accidently clicked that while trying to reply :(

white sparkplugs aren't a good thing mate.

that means the engine has been running lean. lean motors tend to run hot and that aint a good thing.

ideal color of sparks according to many manuals i've read is like a coffee brown color without carbon deposits or oil and the likes.

the plug you have shown in that picture doesn't seem to look bad at all. If the motor is running rich burning extra fuel, you're bound to find black soot and carbon deposits on the sparkplugs.

Like previousposter says...get the mounts checked first and eliminate that factor.

I really dont know much about ek3's but if the spark plugs don't have "coil-on-top" ignition units... like you're mechanic says, the delco aka distributor can be faulty too. If the ignition coil inside the delco has shorted out, from time to time the power supply to the plugs can get cut off.... hence the jerk aka misfire.

Eachtime the engine misfires, unburnt fuel exits the combudtion chamber and that might be why your fuel consumption is low

I had a smiliar issue with my sprinter some years back and luckily it was being fixed by the agents. So they had spare delco to try out and see.

with the new delco problem was sorted so i just go a replacement delco from a breaker shop.

If you have a friend or somebody who owns a similar car... you might be able to their delco unit on yours and see if it works.

i'll add a small thing .. check the wire cabels which are connected to the plugs ( the connectivity between the two ends) . there can be some issue in the wires & they might be the problem.

i'll add a small thing .. check the wire cabels which are connected to the plugs ( the connectivity between the two ends) . there can be some issue in the wires & they might be the problem.

i have checked it and clenned the Distrubother coover too. is there any way to test the distrubutor condition

Sira

• 1 month later...

Finally, this issue was fixed.

the incorrect timming was the issue.now it dose 15 km per liter outside. have not checked the city limit.plugs are white too. thank you for all wo replied to me on this matter

sira

im having the same issue with mine...when i shift to third or fourth and accelerate i could notice small jerks mostly when i shift to third and accelerate..didnt check the timing...hoping to consult zakie nxt week

Go to UPUL malabe and he got a timing tourch too. the corrct timing is 12 +_2 and there will be a red dot on the pully

sira

:speechless-smiley-003: Never go to UPUL. He has no idea what he is doing. I don't think that most of the people in AL is recommending him. He is not an expert at all.

Well there is a chap in pannipitya called "Guruge" who is a stafford engineered but is also doing his own work, used to go to him sometime back when we had the accord. He is quite good actually never had any issue with him, the charges are a bit steep but the quality of his work is excellent.

His old phone no isnt working anymore, anyone else familiar with this person ?

Well there is a chap in pannipitya called "Guruge" who is a stafford engineered

Yes he is a foreman and a good chap.Mostly He supervises mechanical repairs in Stafford.Rohan at Kesbewa also doing repairs at hiis home on week ends and holidays.