• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starting Problem When The Car Is Low On Fuel

JayZ

Question

Hi guys, facing a small problem these days.

when the car is low on fuel (indicator almost touching "E" mark, but computer indicates theres enough gas for 40 Kms) its very hard to start.

sometimes have to crank 5 - 6 times. sometimes doesn't start @ all until refill.

No problem with the starter motor/ alternator.

the problem solves immediately when i refill. even at quarter mark of fuel, no problem with startng.

Is this a problem with the car computer showing incorrect info (40 km range though im almost empty)?

But when i get it started, i can go until the range drops to 0 kms.

Tried it once to empty the tank. :)

Or is this due to bad petrol or something related to fuel pump pressure?

Appreciate your input ...

4 answers to this question

when there's little fuel there's a chance that it flows back to the tank due to the lack of pressure. Hence when you start the fuel has to start flowing all the way from the tank again, hence the extra engine cranks. The computer isnt a 100% accurate. Neither is the meter.

You really shouldn't run your car like that, cos:

1- its stressing the strarter motor unnecessarily

2- you're not saving fuel by running till the tank empties out.

3- in fact you LOOSE fuel by running like this, especially in petrol vehicles since when there's lesser fuel (hence more air) even the remaining fuel will evaporate faster. So its advisable to always keep about 1/2 a tank in the car. Its not going to cost you more, cos you WILL be eventually pumping again.

• Like 1

when there's little fuel there's a chance that it flows back to the tank due to the lack of pressure. Hence when you start the fuel has to start flowing all the way from the tank again, hence the extra engine cranks. The computer isnt a 100% accurate. Neither is the meter.

You really shouldn't run your car like that, cos:

1- its stressing the strarter motor unnecessarily

2- you're not saving fuel by running till the tank empties out.

3- in fact you LOOSE fuel by running like this, especially in petrol vehicles since when there's lesser fuel (hence more air) even the remaining fuel will evaporate faster. So its advisable to always keep about 1/2 a tank in the car. Its not going to cost you more, cos you WILL be eventually pumping again.

Thanks Watchmen for the reply.

Guess thats the issue then. I was worried that the pump was damaged due to bad fuel.

Points taken. Its not advisable running empty. :):)

I wanted to check how much it does with a full talk :)

Thanks Watchmen for the reply.

Guess thats the issue then. I was worried that the pump was damaged due to bad fuel.

Points taken. Its not advisable running empty. :):)

I wanted to check how much it does with a full talk :)

You're welcome.

Well, to know your full range, find out your kmpl the good old way and multiply it by the tank capacity as per manufacturer specs. :)