• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Puncture Kit Instead Of Spare Wheel

LaRa

Good day to you all,

I have noticed that most of new Honda vehicles come with a puncture kit in the boot instead of having an ordinary spare wheel.

I suppose puncture kit helps to re inflate the tyre and a country like SL doesn’t suite this kind of a solution, since if it is a total tyre failure it wouldn’t be a full recovery job.

Pls share your ideas.

Regards.

i'm thinking of getting a puncture repair kit myself for those long drives into rural areas where repair shops are rare to find.

At least in my case...i will carry the spare wheel. the repair kit is just insurance if the spare too goes bust. saves me from having to carry two spares.

while a puncture kit would be nice, I believe it's just a cost cutting measure. If you are left with anything more than a little puncture, while you are on a rural road, you are screwed.

from next year... i will start on camping runs machang! Some folks i know have got two punctures in willpattu and had to borrow a spare from another vehicle in their entourage. In my case....i will be solo so other than a spare, a puncture kit will be a safety net. Or else carrying a second spare too is a possibility but it just takes a tad bit more space.

Also, so far... i haven't totalled a tyre :)

Some new (2011/12) euro cars, specially hatches, will hv puncture repair kits to save on boot space.

Might be ok in europe but not really useful here. Spare + repair kit would be a handy combination OTOH.

Edited by vishkid

Some new (2011/12) euro cars, specially hatches, will hv puncture repair kits to save on boot space.

Might be ok in europe but not really useful here. Spare + repair kit would be a handy combination OTOH.

When we bought the Punto they offered either the spare or the kit, I sweet talked them in to giving both. That compressor is mighty useful.

hmm mixed opinions on the puncture kit - the std euro kit is a bottle of gunk that can be used only once and the compressor. On the BMW forums they reckon the best way to use the gunk is to jack the car and pump the stuff in. Problem is that most cars don't come with a jack anymore - hence the 2nd hand ones going for quire a bit on ebay. Personally like the idea of carrying a compressor as you can pump up the tire a bit to run to a tire kade or maybe you can get the tubeless patch kit - which is exactly what the tire fellows use to seal up a puncture.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

MadMMx

hmm mixed opinions on the puncture kit - the std euro kit is a bottle of gunk that can be used only once and the compressor. On the BMW forums they reckon the best way to use the gunk is to jack the car and pump the stuff in. Problem is that most cars don't come with a jack anymore - hence the 2nd hand ones going for quire a bit on ebay. Personally like the idea of carrying a compressor as you can pump up the tire a bit to run to a tire kade or maybe you can get the tubeless patch kit - which is exactly what the tire fellows use to seal up a puncture.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

MadMMx

Are the BMWs coming to SL market these days coming with runflats? The ones here does not have a spare wheel or a jack. The glue in the tire repair kits can get into the tire pressure sensors, thus requiring them to be removed and cleaned.