• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Natural Aspiration To Forced Aspiration.

luckey007

Dear friends,

This was come to my mind after a visit to an used vehicle parts yard.There was a 2c turbo engine and from outside it differs only with the turbo unit.even inlet manifold is same.

1.Do internal engine parts like pistons ,rings,crank,cam etc.differ from the natural aspirated 2c engine? though men there told me they are same I doubt their knowledge.

2.How much will be the power gain if I convert it to the forced aspiration?

3.Can I just convert it by adding a turbo charger?

4.Do cooling system like things are different?

5.Even though I don't care much about fuel economy is there any significant difference?

6.After all is this worth?

Thanks in advance.

1.Do internal engine parts like pistons ,rings,crank,cam etc.differ from the natural aspirated 2c engine? though men there told me they are same I doubt their knowledge. - yes, they'd have at least a few tougher forged parts

2.How much will be the power gain if I convert it to the forced aspiration? Depends

3.Can I just convert it by adding a turbo charger? Not quite, you'd need a proper fuel/spark management system to handle it and also a higher capacity fuel pump. Also do forget drivetrain parts like axles/etc.

4.Do cooling system like things are different? Cooling system may be the same but are sometimes bigger to handle more heat

5.Even though I don't care much about fuel economy is there any significant difference? depends on how it's tuned. If your foot is on the floor most of the time, prepare to have more gas station visits. Also, youd probably need to fill up on premium fuel too

6.After all is this worth? Yup! haha

Sorry it's short replies. I'm sure someone else would also chime in, but it's pretty intensive to do such mods and definitely not cheap if it's done right. It's easier to just sell your car and buy a turbo version honestly.

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

Dear friends,

This was come to my mind after a visit to an used vehicle parts yard.There was a 2c turbo engine and from outside it differs only with the turbo unit.even inlet manifold is same.

1.Do internal engine parts like pistons ,rings,crank,cam etc.differ from the natural aspirated 2c engine? though men there told me they are same I doubt their knowledge.

5.Even though I don't care much about fuel economy is there any significant difference?

Thanks in advance.

Well lot of questions :D

It all depends on your need, if this is your daily driven ride i would advice you not to because you would simply be adding more wear and tear to an engine, more movable parts to and engine which will eventually break, and will reduce your fuel economy for a power gain which you will most probably not need in day to day driving with the added cost of the engine itself and other the charges for installing it.

BTW judging by the 2c turbo i assuming it is a diesel right ?

1)Yes internal components should be pretty much the same since it is the same engine short block. but some internal parts would be of much hardier construction. Although internal parts might be the same you might have to change other parts like the exhaust manifold and the exhaust piping, you will also need to do an ecu remapping.

2)Power gain max on a stock turbo setting with stock boost would be a max of around 10-30 HP which is pretty much a lot in a daily driven car. Yes you would notice a big difference in the way the car accelerates as opposed to the painfully agonizing acceleration an NA diesel would get.

3)Yes you can convert your current engine by adding a turbo charger but it will need a lot more additional work (ecu remapping,intake manifold,exhaust manifold, oil lines etc.) and a lot of piping and it will not look neat which might become a problem if you want to sell the car later on. So if you want to turbo charge the engine it is better to get a 2c-t version than to turbo charge your current one.

4)By cooling systems do you mean an inter cooler or a cooling system for the turbo itself ? Most turbos cool off engine oil so if you buy an engine you wont have to worry about it, but if you add the turbo yourself you will have to run some additional lines to cool the turbo.

5)Yes there will be slight difference in economy as turbo engines are not very efficient compared to NA engines due to turbo lag and various other reasons.

6)I'd say its not worth the cost and the hassle you have to go through. Just my opinion :D

1.Do internal engine parts like pistons ,rings,crank,cam etc.differ from the natural aspirated 2c engine? though men there told me they are same I doubt their knowledge. - yes, they'd have at least a few tougher forged parts

2.How much will be the power gain if I convert it to the forced aspiration? Depends

3.Can I just convert it by adding a turbo charger? Not quite, you'd need a proper fuel/spark management system to handle it and also a higher capacity fuel pump. Also do forget drivetrain parts like axles/etc.

4.Do cooling system like things are different? Cooling system may be the same but are sometimes bigger to handle more heat

5.Even though I don't care much about fuel economy is there any significant difference? depends on how it's tuned. If your foot is on the floor most of the time, prepare to have more gas station visits. Also, youd probably need to fill up on premium fuel too

6.After all is this worth? Yup! haha

Sorry it's short replies. I'm sure someone else would also chime in, but it's pretty intensive to do such mods and definitely not cheap if it's done right. It's easier to just sell your car and buy a turbo version honestly.

Bro he is talking about a diesel stock turbo engine :P

You are thinking more of hardcore performance turbos :D

Edited by The Stig

Dear friends,

Thanks in advance.

1.To my knowledge Pistons, valves, gasket and the injector pump are diffrent from the stock 2C.

2.There will be a increase in power even with the stock engine, however you will wear out the engine fast.

3.Yes, it will not be a proper conversion you will gain more engine power however gearing and breaks might not be able to handle the extra power.

4.you will need extra cooling as the engine will now generate more heat.

5.Depends on the driving conditions if you are a hard footer you might even see a improvement.

6.Not really when you consider the down sides. Unless you go for the full conversion ie. engine, transmission, electronics, cooloing. (expensive)

Edited by kush

Even though not really related to this thread, why the ppl says it is not a good habit to just turn off the engine when the vehicle is stoped esp in a turbo engine? I have seen some ppl install "turbo timer" which keep the engine switch on for few min!

Even though not really related to this thread, why the ppl says it is not a good habit to just turn off the engine when the vehicle is stoped esp in a turbo engine? I have seen some ppl install "turbo timer" which keep the engine switch on for few min!

Dude, just do a search man! Or even google it! jeez!

Yeah the main reason is that since most turbos are cooled from oil and the engine shuts off without giving time for the turbo to cool down properly the oil inside the turbo will get clogged up and will cause harm to the internals and will creating turbo cooling issues in the future. but a turbo timer on a stock turbo is not necessary as they dont produce a lot of heat but if you install an after market turbo which is bigger and produces more boost having a turbo timer is advisable cause it will actual extend the lifetime of your turbo.

Here is a bit more info link 1 & link 2