• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Before Buying A Peugeot Car

Billabong Crockadile

Hi freinds,

I am thinking about to sell my over-priced AE110 and buy a Peugeot car(believe that it is under-priced).There are many Peugeot cars available for around 2M. Can anybody tell me about the fuel consumption, Spare parts availability in SL for Peugeot cars?

I can understand that there is no second hand market for Peugeot cars like Toyotas.But, facilities and the appearance is better than others in this price range.

Appreciate your replies with advices.

Bye.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Billabong Crockadile

I am not an expert on Peugeot but I should tell you that Peugeot is a grate car with better interior and with grate driving pleasure comparing with 110.

But it might be bit difficult to find spares specially if you not living around Colombo this is very well apply to body parts and interior parts as used spares are not available.

But I would still say Peugeot is a grate car but I should keep my CE110!

Hi freinds,

I am thinking about to sell my over-priced AE110 and buy a Peugeot car(believe that it is under-priced).There are many Peugeot cars available for around 2M. Can anybody tell me about the fuel consumption, Spare parts availability in SL for Peugeot cars?

I can understand that there is no second hand market for Peugeot cars like Toyotas.But, facilities and the appearance is better than others in this price range.

I think if you want to buy a peugeot, the 406 is the model to consider. Their relative popularity means that spare parts are available and relatively reasonably priced and there is enough knowledge to maintain these cars in good order. The 307 isn't really a good car (it's too heavy for its class and plagues with various electronic niggles) and the 206 while handles very well didn't age very well, particularly the interior.

The parts are priced slightly higher, but you do nearly always use genuine or OEM parts so the price is probably justifiable. The bodies seem to hold out well against rust but you have some issues with electronics.

Harshan is the resident expert on these cars so if he does not comment on this thread please PM for more information. He was a proud owner of a D8 and now drives a newer D9 Executive.

Hi All,

I have read lot on this forum and it make my mind clear to go for the 406 as my first own car. Thanks guys for a valuable comments.

Can any one explain me the different between D9 and ST model. I am going to buy ST model (2002) appearing in the autolanka. Any comments on it?

Also I got to know that, there is good place for the peugeot parts at Piliyandala. Any idea?

Thanks

Indika

Hi freinds,

Don't know about Peugeot. But the decisions to sell the 110 is correct.

I sold my FB-15 last week :rolleyes:.

Don had summed up the model recommendations nicely and about buying a Peugeot. As very correctly said, 406 has a good reputation among other Peugeot models in Sri Lanka as well as in other continents. In UK it was a major success especially with it's diesel varient and it's still being manufactured and can be bought brand new in Nigeria and Kenya with all new features they introduced in later models and with more rigid suspension setup.

406 has gone through a major design revision in 1999 and as a result the model got divided into two series namely D8 and D9. In another words it's like MK1 and MK2 in other models. Body remained same but with better reinforcements and completely revised suspension setup, increased final drive ratio, changed the engine designs to deliver more power and to make the engines quieter. ABS, Air Bags were made standard and electrical system has been improved with multiplexing and the controversial BSI (Built-in Systems Interface) introduced to control all electronics. This received negative reception in terms of reliability and all random electric gremlins were due to the first generations of BSIs. Later this was rectified but for some reason in UK, the D8 got better reviews in terms of reliable electronics than the D9 with lots of bells and whistles to make things complicated if something goes wrong. However, in-terms of safety, design, comfort and features, the D9 easily outsmarts the D8 and the cars running about in SL daily would've gone through BSI replacements and COM2000 replacements (post 2002 cars) as they were warranty repairs.

both D8 and D9 got different trim levels starting from LX (with front only power shutters, central locking as options) to the Executive grade which has fully loaded package with electric heated leather seats with memory + memorized side view mirror positions, fully digitized climatic control, automatic head light washers, multi-function display with on-board computer, dual mode electric sunroof, automatic dimming rear view mirror, vanity mirrors with courtesy lamps, built-in JBL sound system and the automatic version got an auto-adaptive AL4 auto gearbox which again received negative reception due to faulty solenoid valves in the valve body and this too was later corrected.

Trim levels starting from LX, GLX, Rapier (only offered in UK), GTX, and Executive. ST is offered with powerful engines and meant to be Sports trim but spare parts may be rare in SL if the engine is 3.0 V6. My advice is to go with a GLX which has all luxuries such as climate control, multi-function and built-in audio system,etc.

There's a myth saying the 2.0 l doesn't do well in fuel but it's the other way around, the 1.8 is way too underpowered and now I realize the 2.0l automatic I now drive does the same or more than what my 1.8l manual used to do.

Spare parts was never a problem and you don't face the hassle of walking from shop to shop in Delkanda finding used junks, instead, give away the chassis number and the dealer or even spare parts shops in Panchikawatta will get you down the exact spare part. Repairs wise too it's not a concern as there are quite a few competent mechanics and workshops around, whom are specialized in Peugeots.

Prices wise both spares and repairs aren't costly if you go with the right people and parts. Usually brand-new spares available for affordable prices so there's no requirement to hunt for used spares except body parts. Sometimes back I've installed b/new starter motor at 24,000/-, radiator 18,000/-, all four shocks 32,000/- for my D8. I've been running the Executive since this April and so far nothing has done except replacing all four tires, so reliability wise I never had any issues as I've used the previous car daily since 2006 till I sold it this year.

• Like 5

Hi All,

I have read lot on this forum and it make my mind clear to go for the 406 as my first own car. Thanks guys for a valuable comments.

Can any one explain me the different between D9 and ST model. I am going to buy ST model (2002) appearing in the autolanka. Any comments on it?

Also I got to know that, there is good place for the peugeot parts at Piliyandala. Any idea?

Thanks

Indika

Cannot comment abuot advertisements of the main site.

Yes, there is a place close to Miriswatte junction along 255 bus route (Kottawa Road), whether that is a good place or bad place I don't know :) but they got plenty of parts when a friend checked about a month back. prices were fair

Cannot comment abuot advertisements of the main site.

Yes, there is a place close to Miriswatte junction along 255 bus route (Kottawa Road), whether that is a good place or bad place I don't know :) but they got plenty of parts when a friend checked about a month back. prices were fair

Thanks Harshana for your comments. Your valuable comments also help me to go for the 406. Still I am in the buying process and seller need to fix some issues like seat belt is broken on that car. may be you can still make my mind change as it was 406 ST (2002) 1997 CC auto.

Hope you will be sending me a PM if this is too sensitive comments.

My email - [email protected]

Thanks for all

Edited by indikap

Dear Harshan,

Thank you very much for your detailed explaination about the Peugeot.This type clarification will clear many doubts about Peugeot.Please send me too your PM to [email protected] But,stll I need to know about the average fuel consumption of a 406 2.0 auto car.I am going to execute my purchasing decision soon, so, hope you will reply.

Thanks The Don for the help in inviting to Harshan.

Lakshan

your Alfa 156 aint the whole universe

Of course it ain't the whole universe buddy but it's the only car I've had :)

but i find it very interesting to see that you have managed to buy shocks for your D8 at a price of 8000 each

I believed that suspension related parts in euro vehicles are much expensive

did you use brand new shocks?

sorry for my ignorance in the field of Peugeots BTW

Of course it ain't the whole universe buddy but it's the only car I've had :)

but i find it very interesting to see that you have managed to buy shocks for your D8 at a price of 8000 each

I believed that suspension related parts in euro vehicles are much expensive

did you use brand new shocks?

sorry for my ignorance in the field of Peugeots BTW

:)

front two monroe shocks each 8200/- from L.N.D Silva motors

rear gabriel (not exactly sure this brand name) shocks each 7400/- from imperial. Could've bought KYB for rear far lesser than that. At that time the genuine was priced at 15,000/- each from Ideal Automotive. This was done in October, 2007. Shocks were in perfect condition even when I sold the car this year.

• Like 1

Are there any way/web site to track your peugeot car details from the web by giving engine number?

Yes, not engine number but the chassis number.

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/pages/login_hors_eu.jsp

This is also available for citroens. It gives the full spec of the car and engine number, gearbox serial number went into assemblying the same car. Plus it gives the exact part code (even if superceded) and it's guaranteed the item code matches the vehicle with the chassis number if the configuration has not changed such as changing the engine or gearbox etc.

No time wasting with the removed busted part on your hand from shop to shop in watte when you know the part code precisely.

Now Jap boys, beat this if possible :D

• Like 1

Yes, not engine number but the chassis number.

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/pages/login_hors_eu.jsp

This is also available for citroens. It gives the full spec of the car and engine number, gearbox serial number went into assemblying the same car. Plus it gives the exact part code (even if superceded) and it's guaranteed the item code matches the vehicle with the chassis number if the configuration has not changed such as changing the engine or gearbox etc.

No time wasting with the removed busted part on your hand from shop to shop in watte when you know the part code precisely.

Now Jap boys, beat this if possible :D

Excellent. I have registered in it. There are lot of information about the vehicle parts. Thanks again for the link.

Edited by indikap

Has any body faced a problem with AL4 gearbox?. If so, what would be the cost to that repair in SL?

depends on what has failed. If it's the two solenoid valves and a packing kit, it would cost about 30k. This can vary depending on the source of the parts and place of the work is being done anyway. Heard there are places charging in excess of 200k for a complete repair.

the 406 is a good car .make sure you get a good one .Not everyone could fix a peugeot and i've seen some with modified bsi's and com 2000 which actually causes many problems .The al4 gearbox is reliable.I've seen some with heavy oil leaks and small issues like that a normal repair could range from 25k to prices way beyond 150 k if the torque converters and coolers are damaged .

Has any body faced a problem with AL4 gearbox?. If so, what would be the cost to that repair in SL?

I had a prob with my AL4 an year ago. I lost the reverse gear .The reverse brake band was broken,I was lucky to find a nearly new ,used brake band and a good Peugeot pro,since we took the tranny down ,I changed the forward brake band (wich was in fairly good condition)as well,cleaned both solonoides and filled the tranny with new oil.

Cost me 40K with labour.According to my mechanic,an overhaul could cost upto 250,000LKR .

I,ve heard that AL4 is not reliable even after fix it but that's something I don't believe.If the right person do the job in the right way,you can't go wrong.

:)

front two monroe shocks each 8200/- from L.N.D Silva motors

rear gabriel (not exactly sure this brand name) shocks each 7400/- from imperial. Could've bought KYB for rear far lesser than that. At that time the genuine was priced at 15,000/- each from Ideal Automotive. This was done in October, 2007. Shocks were in perfect condition even when I sold the car this year.

Do you feel any difference from genuine shocks to other brands? Usually 406 shocks are kinda "never die" parts right?

Do you feel any difference from genuine shocks to other brands? Usually 406 shocks are kinda "never die" parts right?

The ones I've installed were GAS cartridge type as oppose to oil simply coz of the durability of gas type believed to be high. The ride was little rigid due to that but handling got improved drastically. Yes, they last long as I've never had to bother with the ones I've installed about 3+ years back and they were in very good nick when I sold the car.

Edited by harshansenadhir

The parts are priced slightly higher, but you do nearly always use genuine or OEM parts so the price is probably justifiable. The bodies seem to hold out well against rust but you have some issues with electronics.

I used a 406 D8 Diesel for about an year. The car was generally good. Good handling, comfortable and the overall interior quality was very good. But had lot of reliability issues with it. My one had the XUD09TE engine I believe.

About the parts my experience is some shops that specializes in Peugeot and Citroen parts sell counterfeit parts for premium prices. I visited two or three dealers and was faced with the same problem. Of course I'm not saying every body does this but don't be sure that your safe just because the dealer specializes in the brand or because your paying a premium for the part.

So the problems I faced was this troubled started with the Auxiliary drive belt failing spectacularly due to a broken damper spring. The when I contacted the seller he said that the same damper and the adjusting pulley had been change before he sold the car because of a loud noise coming from the auxiliary drive belt. So I bought the 2 adjusted pulleys, the drive belt and the damping spring from Punchi and went to one of the Peugeot repair guys in palawaththa and got him to check that there are no inherent problems with the alignment etc and then fixed everything.

It was fine for about a week or so and then I heard the noise the guy who sold me the car described. Found out again that it was a problem with the damper. Had to replace it again (around RS9000). Again it ran ok for about a month. But one day when I was coming back from work near palawaththa area the car suddenly stopped in the middle of the road in traffic. Tried to get it started again but wouldn't. It tried to start but splatted and stopped few times. I managed to push it to a side with some passer by's help. Upon inspection I saw that a strip of the auxiliary belt (inner side) was missing! I couldn't locate the missign piece. I waited for some time to let the engine coll a little bit and (with hind sight very VERY FOOLISHLY) tried to start again. Thats when the Sh#t really hit the fan. There was a very sickening mechanical clatter and the engine seized.....

Later and after some days and rupees at the garage I found out where that missing piece of the Aux belt had gotten to. It has stripped off and gotten logged in the bottom drive pulley of the timing belt. The engine had initially stopped (I was sitting idling in traffic) because the diesel pump timing had been put off as the timing belt had slipped may be two or three teeth. But I guess at this stage valve timing was not off by so much as to cause a catastrophe. That happened when I tried to get it started after waiting for a while. :blink:

As to the total damage....The Cam shaft was broken in two, One of the Cam shaft bearings broken clean off. No valve damage, no piston damage. I rebuilt the head with new parts and replaced timing belt and the adjusters etc. Also again replaced the Aux belt and its gear as well. As to the belt I decided to go for a Japanese belt with the same specs.

After this adventure though the car was good was another 6 months (during which time I did about 13k-15k km) until I sold it on. I had a slight increase in power and fuel consumption prob cos of the head rebuild.

On further research I found out that this (aux belt fragments slipping in to the timing belt) is some what common problem for Peugeot( could be only this engine) and apparently for Land rover freelander (rover engine)(not sure. second hand info) as well. There were few mentions of similar problems in other Peugeot fan clubs as well. (www.406oc.co.uk I believe). This whole thing cost me around 100k...

Also I learnt that Cam shafts and their bearing are actually designed to break on impact (at least on these vehicles) to prevent further damage.

So guys look out for fake (sub quality) parts for European models as well. These are apparently coming from India and China. :huh:

The ones I've installed were GAS cartridge type as oppose to oil simply coz of the durability of gas type believed to be high. The ride was little rigid due to that but handling got improved drastically. Yes, they last long as I've never had to bother with the ones I've installed about 3+ years back and they were in very good nick when I sold the car.

Harshan,

Can you remember a Rapier had a big accident near col couple of years ago?

On further research I found out that this (aux belt fragments slipping in to the timing belt) is some what common problem for Peugeot( could be only this engine) and apparently for Land rover freelander (rover engine)(not sure. second hand info) as well. There were few mentions of similar problems in other Peugeot fan clubs as well. (www.406oc.co.uk I believe).

I heard the same thing from my mechanic when I change my timing belt.I think the manufacturers point of changing belts and horses after a certain mileage or after a certain time period (even the certain mileage is not covered by the time) is this.

As with belts our weather conditions and relatively hotter engine bays may lead them for faster detorioration.