• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Before Buying A Peugeot Car

Billabong Crockadile

What are the fuel consumption figures of D9,D9 Exec & D9ST? city & out..

Fuel consumption does not vary depending on the model variations mentioned, but the engine capacity and transmission type. D9s equipped with 1800 L6A engine does little less than the 2.0l counterparts. D9, 2.0 manual does about 8kmpl in City and 14 ~ 15 kmpl in outstations ( a friend confirmed 15.8 after returning from a weekend run to Welimada, yesterday). D9, 2.0 Auto which I drive does about 6 kmpl in day-to-day traffic and does about 8 kmpl when I'm extremely light on the pedal. Went to Kataragama and returned with (4 adults and 3 kids and a heavy luggage) a 11 kmpl figure.

Fuel consumption does not vary depending on the model variations mentioned, but the engine capacity and transmission type. D9s equipped with 1800 L6A engine does little less than the 2.0l counterparts. D9, 2.0 manual does about 8kmpl in City and 14 ~ 15 kmpl in outstations ( a friend confirmed 15.8 after returning from a weekend run to Welimada, yesterday). D9, 2.0 Auto which I drive does about 6 kmpl in day-to-day traffic and does about 8 kmpl when I'm extremely light on the pedal. Went to Kataragama and returned with (4 adults and 3 kids and a heavy luggage) a 11 kmpl figure.

thnax bru.. actually im choosing btween ES8,N16,FB15 & the D9.. any pros n cons u got to share btween these?

thnax bru.. actually im choosing btween ES8,N16,FB15 & the D9.. any pros n cons u got to share btween these?

Well to start with, its just a crime to compare a good euro with mainstream models like n16 or an fb15.

If you are in the mindset of the typical Sri Lankan and care about things like fuel figures, resale value and all other crap go for an ES8,N16 or FB15.

If your primary interest is luxury, prestige and driving pleasure and dont really give a rats ass about resale value and other traits go for the pug.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I used a 406 D8 Diesel for about an year. The car was generally good. Good handling, comfortable and the overall interior quality was very good. But had lot of reliability issues with it. My one had the XUD09TE engine I believe.

About the parts my experience is some shops that specializes in Peugeot and Citroen parts sell counterfeit parts for premium prices. I visited two or three dealers and was faced with the same problem. Of course I'm not saying every body does this but don't be sure that your safe just because the dealer specializes in the brand or because your paying a premium for the part.

So the problems I faced was this troubled started with the Auxiliary drive belt failing spectacularly due to a broken damper spring. The when I contacted the seller he said that the same damper and the adjusting pulley had been change before he sold the car because of a loud noise coming from the auxiliary drive belt. So I bought the 2 adjusted pulleys, the drive belt and the damping spring from Punchi and went to one of the Peugeot repair guys in palawaththa and got him to check that there are no inherent problems with the alignment etc and then fixed everything.

It was fine for about a week or so and then I heard the noise the guy who sold me the car described. Found out again that it was a problem with the damper. Had to replace it again (around RS9000). Again it ran ok for about a month. But one day when I was coming back from work near palawaththa area the car suddenly stopped in the middle of the road in traffic. Tried to get it started again but wouldn't. It tried to start but splatted and stopped few times. I managed to push it to a side with some passer by's help. Upon inspection I saw that a strip of the auxiliary belt (inner side) was missing! I couldn't locate the missign piece. I waited for some time to let the engine coll a little bit and (with hind sight very VERY FOOLISHLY) tried to start again. Thats when the Sh#t really hit the fan. There was a very sickening mechanical clatter and the engine seized.....

Later and after some days and rupees at the garage I found out where that missing piece of the Aux belt had gotten to. It has stripped off and gotten logged in the bottom drive pulley of the timing belt. The engine had initially stopped (I was sitting idling in traffic) because the diesel pump timing had been put off as the timing belt had slipped may be two or three teeth. But I guess at this stage valve timing was not off by so much as to cause a catastrophe. That happened when I tried to get it started after waiting for a while. :blink:

As to the total damage....The Cam shaft was broken in two, One of the Cam shaft bearings broken clean off. No valve damage, no piston damage. I rebuilt the head with new parts and replaced timing belt and the adjusters etc. Also again replaced the Aux belt and its gear as well. As to the belt I decided to go for a Japanese belt with the same specs.

After this adventure though the car was good was another 6 months (during which time I did about 13k-15k km) until I sold it on. I had a slight increase in power and fuel consumption prob cos of the head rebuild.

On further research I found out that this (aux belt fragments slipping in to the timing belt) is some what common problem for Peugeot( could be only this engine) and apparently for Land rover freelander (rover engine)(not sure. second hand info) as well. There were few mentions of similar problems in other Peugeot fan clubs as well. (www.406oc.co.uk I believe). This whole thing cost me around 100k...

Also I learnt that Cam shafts and their bearing are actually designed to break on impact (at least on these vehicles) to prevent further damage.

So guys look out for fake (sub quality) parts for European models as well. These are apparently coming from India and China. :huh:

Funny enough a friend had a near identical adventure in a Petrol Renault Megane. His problem was the alternator seized broke the belt, bit of the belt got lodged on the crank pulley causing the timing belt to jump and valve damage ! On most Japanese cars the timing belt element of the crank pulley isn't as exposed as these cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What is the average cost of maintaining a 406 car including both mechanical maintenance and Servicing ?

The regular servicing cost is probably comparable to a Jap car. It is difficult to comment on maintenance since it depends on what goes wrong and while the spares are a bit more expensive often you replace with genuine parts so I guess its not too bad. You just need to use a mechanic familiar with the 406 rather than a trial an error type of chap.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I’m interested of buying a 406 and I have been going through with lot of information posted by experts here with regard to 406.

There is a 406 (Manual, GLX, Year 2001, KA-xxxx) own by a company. They are planning to sell it under tender basis. Therefore probably I won't be able to take it to an agent and do a full checkup.

So can you guys please let me know what sort of areas/details that I need to pay attention in order to ensure this vehicle has been maintained in a good shape and risk free?

I already seek more information (e.g.Engine capacity, etc...) about this vehicle as one my friends is working for the same company & I’ll keep posted here when they are available for me.

Also I would like to know the difference between diesel and petrol 406s in performance wise, economical wise, etc…

Thank you guys in Advance!

Edited by Ashan De Silva