• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Continuous Ink Supply System

mirage7777

Hi All,

In today's H/ads -- there were several ads for CISS.

What I want to know is -- what is the benefit of a "continuous ink supply system" aka 'CISS'??

Called 2 places advertised, and I gathered thus:- That it'll cost a minimum of 4000/-, that it'll last 1 1/2 years. Cost to print in black is 30 cents & colour Rs 2/-.

What I want to know is --

the pros & cons of CISS? --[from personally experience only pls]

Are the numbers given correct or an exaggeration?

Can the initial cost [for eg. Rs 4k] be recovered OR will it be a better option to go for other alternatives advertised-- like refilling cartridges - which is about Rs. 2/- per print?

thanks in advance

Edited by mirage7777

You mean an ink system like thius right ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Continuous-ink-CISS-CIS-ink-Epson-WORKFORCE-320-323-325-T1251-4-/270854356039?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item3f102d7c47

Well the price sounds right to me.

Ill explain what it does. See when we normally print and if we have run out we have to get the cartridge out and take it to a refilling shop, the only advantage in this system is that you dont have to take out any part it refills itself as long as there is ink in the tank of the unit. What you have to do is drill a hole in your cartridge and insert a small nozzle that's connected to a connected to a bottle of ink through a tube, so when your existing ink is being used to print the pressure of the bottle sends more ink into the cartridge giving you an endless supply of ink.

"that it'll last 1 1/2 years" the tank might last longer and you can always buy the ink bottles (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIS-BULK-Ink-Refill-Bottles-Brother-Printers-LC41-/180743797678?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item2a152b7bae)

I myself print a lot of documents at home and have to refill once a month so i also thought of buying this but instead bought an ink refilling kit off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Refill-ink-kit-21-22-60-901-56-57-92-93-16oz-4s-/120728402288?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item1c1bf93970).

This might be good if you are printing on a commercial purpose but for normal usage a refilling kit will do. Or you can always refill from a shop and it costs 200Rs for black and 300Rs for color, but for me the kit is better cause i can refill anytime i want and a bottle usually last for 5-6 refills.

• Like 2

Mirage7777,

I use a cannon printer Photo high quality. Hardly do color printing.

I do my own ink refilling to Black as well as color with large bottles which are available at U/P Bambalapitiya. I paid under 1000.00 Rupees for a set including color. use a Injection needle to do this. Injection needles are 350.00 rupees for box of 100, at Bankshall street Pettah Colombo 011. I have refiled more than 40 times from a black ink bottle, after some time black ink cartridge do not function that well then change for a new cartridge.

I think this is cheaper tan going for continuous supply of ink, unless you do commercial printing.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Thank you 'The Stig' & 'Sylvi Wijesinghe' for your prompt responses.

The prob -- is I was not aware of this until today.

Only yesterday -- I went to U/plaza and a bought new printer --for 3.5k & a separate ink cartridge for 1.65k. [still both unopened]

After seeing the ads, I was wondering what to do :(.

Mirage7777,

You keep only the printer and return the new cartridge request for ink filling tubes for that cost,

They can not refuse according to the consumer protection act, what you buy do not serve immediately, you had bought same without your knowledge.

Further more because it is only one day and unopend cartrige, speack to their manager or request a credit note so that you will buy some thing later.

If you like please inform what is the make of the printer you bought. That is very cheap price you have paid.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Thank you 'The Stig' & 'Sylvi Wijesinghe' for your prompt responses.

The prob -- is I was not aware of this until today.

Only yesterday -- I went to U/plaza and a bought new printer --for 3.5k & a separate ink cartridge for 1.65k. [still both unopened]

After seeing the ads, I was wondering what to do :(.

I'd say get the refill kit and save the extra 2000-300 bucks for a new cartridge in the future, sooner or later your old cartridge will be nonrefillable due to clogging up and drying ink.

BTW whats the printer ? didn't it come with something called test cartridges ? Mine is an HP 2050, got it for 7750/= from unity and it came with something called "test cartridges" (they look exactly like the normal cartridges but the ink tank capacity inside is smaller)

Mirage7777,

I use a cannon printer Photo high quality. Hardly do color printing.

I do my own ink refilling to Black as well as color with large bottles which are available at U/P Bambalapitiya. I paid under 1000.00 Rupees for a set including color. use a Injection needle to do this. Injection needles are 350.00 rupees for box of 100, at Bankshall street Pettah Colombo 011. I have refiled more than 40 times from a black ink bottle, after some time black ink cartridge do not function that well then change for a new cartridge.

I think this is cheaper tan going for continuous supply of ink, unless you do commercial printing.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

@Sylvi- Please do share the name of the shop from which you buy the ink bottles, i have been importing them from ebay all the time and i think buying them locally might be easier.

• Like 1

Thanks again to you both for the replies.

Its a HP 1000. At another place they quoted 3,650/-. My requirement was for the cheapest HP printer for home use.

The black ink was price marked at 2225/- [at most places - same amount] but they gave it for 1650/-. Its the HP '61' cartridge.

'The Stig',

I buy refilling tubes from U/P Bambalapitiya. 1st floor there are many shops who sells them, walk around and compare the prices, buy the cheapest.

There is a another quality of printer ink which will not smudge for water drops, that is expensive but that cannot be used like the other, number of times on one cartridge due to viscosity is thicker than the other one and it dries fast. Printer has to be used daily.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi
  • Like 1

Thanks again to you both for the replies.

Its a HP 1000. At another place they quoted 3,650/-. My requirement was for the cheapest HP printer for home use.

The black ink was price marked at 2225/- [at most places - same amount] but they gave it for 1650/-. Its the HP '61' cartridge.

You have paid good price be happy that is a good printer too. Try to return the cartridge and get refilling medium tube, if you want to do lot of printing, then go for a big tube.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.