• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Allion Ground Clearancelion

wagkan

Dear All,

Recently I bought Allion 2005 model (G grade). Despite all nice things come with it I noticed the chassis touching the ground when other cars i.e corolla 121 pass without an incident. Right in the middle of the car hits the ground even when there a small hump. When I checked with my garage they advised that I have fix alloy wheel to solve the matter, since alloy wheels lift the car few inches.

I need your guys valuable advice on this. First of all tell me whether this a normal for Allions or something with my car? If I'm to fix alloy wheels is there any particular type/brand that I should look for, and the cost if you can.

Thanks in Advance.

Dear All,

Recently I bought Allion 2005 model (G grade). Despite all nice things come with it I noticed the chassis touching the ground when other cars i.e corolla 121 pass without an incident. Right in the middle of the car hits the ground even when there a small hump. When I checked with my garage they advised that I have fix alloy wheel to solve the matter, since alloy wheels lift the car few inches.

I need your guys valuable advice on this. First of all tell me whether this a normal for Allions or something with my car? If I'm to fix alloy wheels is there any particular type/brand that I should look for, and the cost if you can.

Thanks in Advance.

Whats your wheel and Tyre size? if it has low profile, I would suggest to go for the Standard size.

Dear All,

Thanks in Advance.

the said corolla is a brand new one or jdm one brand new one's have more ground clearance than jdm ones any ways what's your wheel and tyre size? check your shocks are in good condition?.

Well on the matter of alloy wheels what really matters is not the rim but the profile of the tire, say if you are using a low profile tyre changing to a higher profile on the same rim you would get more ground clearance without having to install new rims. But if you feel like you can fit a bigger tyre in there go for it but beware there will be other consequences; since your ride height increases your vehicles handling will get worse, you wont be able to carry a lot of weight be it people or luggage in the back cause the tyres will start touching the wheel arches, your speedo and odometer will have to be recalibrate and worst case scenario it might actually reduce your fuel economy.

BTW your tyre should contain a number like this tyre-size.jpg, please tell us whats written on your tyre so we can come to a final solution.

Thanks for your replies guys,

Belly of my car hitting ground does not depend on the number of the passengers, even only with the driver car touches the ground. I didn't feel anything wrong with shocks since ride is comfortable (I dont know having a smooth ride is the only criteria to say shcoks are good).

I still use the tyres originally came with the car. Tyres have this label - 185/70R14.

Belly of my car hitting ground does not depend on the number of the passengers, even only with the driver car touches the ground. I didn't feel anything wrong with shocks since ride is comfortable (I dont know having a smooth ride is the only criteria to say shcoks are good).

I still use the tyres originally came with the car. Tyres have this label - 185/70R14.

Hmmm interesting your car came with 14" rims, i thought they came with 15".

I had a look at an nzt240 allion yesterday and the sizes where 195/65-R15, which means it should come with 15" rims and not 14" can someone else verify the tyre sizes please ?

By looking at that i say you cars rims have been changed even if it hasn't been changed you can easily get 15" rims and use 195/65-R15 tyres cause i know a person who uses this without problems.

BTW like some members said get your shocks checked as well.

By looking at that i say you cars rims have been changed even if it hasn't been changed you can easily get 15" rims and use 195/65-R15 tyres cause i know a person who uses this without problems.

Machan, what could be the impact changing the factory standard rim and tyre size for the specific car? something like suspension problems? CV joint/Rack-end problems?

Edited by slcamel

Hmmm interesting your car came with 14" rims, i thought they came with 15".

I had a look at an nzt240 allion yesterday and the sizes where 195/65-R15, which means it should come with 15" rims and not 14" can someone else verify the tyre sizes please ?

allion a15 is comes with 185/70R14 tyre size and a18 is comes with 195/65R15.

For me the wheels on the Allion always seemed a little disproportionate to the size of the car. There is this other possibility that this car may have been actually lowered in Japan. Some of these guys do it as they dont have too many bumps, I have seen a few such modified Prius on our roads where the ground clearance is just a few inches.

As mentioned by NEXUS if what you have is the std tyre and wheel ( 185/70R14 ) there is absolutely no point in trying to change the alloys or the tyres. Your problem is defintielly something else.

Also at what speed do you take these bumps ?

Dear All,

Thanks in Advance.

Your Allion must have come with lowering springs or else you need to hit the GYM

So apparently your tyre and rim sizes are correct according to Nexus, yes changing the tyre size will give you more ground clearance but its better to solve the problem you already have first which is why is your is car riding low compared to other cars of the same model with the same tyre size. My best bet would be its definitely an issue with your suspension, probably your shocks and coil springs. No you cant judge if the shocks work ok just by having one person in the car.Try putting some weight and driving on a bumpy road, if you hear a sort of "thudd" noise when going over bump its definitely your shocks.

allion a15 is comes with 185/70R14 tyre size and a18 is comes with 195/65R15.

Thanks for clearing that up machan :alc:

Machan, what could be the impact changing the factory standard rim and tyre size for the specific car? something like suspension problems? CV joint/Rack-end problems?

You wont really be having much of suspension issues IMO but you might have issues that i have mentioned in post no 6. But if you are lowering the profile of the tyre you will notice a drop in the level of comfort, might increase handling a bit though but wont be very relevant to a road going car. BTW what are you planing to do ? increase the rim size ? put lower profiles ?

Edited by The Stig

I own a 2004 allion for the last 5 years. Changed the tyre size to 195/65/15 from the standard size at the very begining. Best decision i made for that car. Not hit a single hump so far. And believe me i take this car where i cant take my bimmer. So i can guarantee that the above tyre size will take on all most all road conditions in LK without an issue

P.S. You need to have common sense though on at what speed you need to take bumps and avoid one where possible without putting any other motorist in danger