• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Booster - Place To Buy

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi friends,

I had posted a thread regarding brakes previously and thanks to all, Now I need to know a better place to buy a brake booster. The one I have now is a NISSIN (NISSIN Master Power NM180V-5, No. 61021-5535) brand and I think it is also something that was replaced by the previous owner (Not the original one). Last week I went to see some shops but thought of asking someone who knows well before buying. I am looking for an brand-new one which I think is better than having a reconditioned one even if it may cost a little. Anyway the one I have is now cannot be used and I think boosters are not be able to repair. (Pls correct me if I am wrong).

Mostly I found the SEIKEN brand in panchikawatte and don't know whether it is actually a Japanese or something duplicated. Anyway please post a reply if you know anything about this or what to see for buying a brake booster. The vehicle is 4DR5 J44 and highly appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Nishan

yes. if it is original brand new, for that price you can buy about 4pcs recon boosters. if it is bit cheap brand new it should be thaiwan. better you find japan used booster around 3000/- something

You mean original brand new would cost around 12000. Any shop that I can try original brand new and/or used booster? (I don't look for the original 4DR5 one. anything that can power up than the original & match the size is Ok I guess) Thanks a lot.

Edited by Nishan.dj

i don't think so you can buy brand new for Rs.12000/- may be 20,000/- so what is the model you looking.

Hi Nilantha, The one I have now is "NISSIN Master Power NM180V-5, No. 61021-5535" and anything that fits and give the power to the 4DR5 J44 is good. Would you recommend anything?

i have only experience using original 4DR5 not modified one. so i can't tel anything about modified ones. if this nissan one works fine you try to find the same good one.

Hi Nilantha, Just had a search in panchikawatta for a brake booster and I brought the master pump as well to get the booster. Though the master pump is original 4DR5 one the current booster is not. It's something else. However I could find 2 original reconditioned ones and any of those didn't work. To make it work, it has to be repaired (the packing has to be changed) that will cost for the total around 15000 (for the reconditioned one + change the packing).

Other problem is that, I have the original 4DR5 master pump and the booster I have now does not 100% fit to it. (the axle coming out from the booster does not long enough to fit to the master pump.) Therefore if I change the booster I have to change the master pump as well.

So what would you recommend? Any cost effective and durable solution for that? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Nilantha, Just had a search in panchikawatta for a brake booster and I brought the master pump as well to get the booster. Though the master pump is original 4DR5 one the current booster is not. It's something else. However I could find 2 original reconditioned ones and any of those didn't work. To make it work, it has to be repaired (the packing has to be changed) that will cost for the total around 15000 (for the reconditioned one + change the packing).

Other problem is that, I have the original 4DR5 master pump and the booster I have now does not 100% fit to it. (the axle coming out from the booster does not long enough to fit to the master pump.) Therefore if I change the booster I have to change the master pump as well.

So what would you recommend? Any cost effective and durable solution for that? Thanks a lot in advance.

don't buy anything from panchikawatta. panchikawatta ppl selling repaired items. i can't tel you any thing because your 4DR5 has been modified.

Nishan, I've never used a J44 myself so I am not aware of the issues with the original equipment. But could you clarify that the original brake booster is adequate for your Jeep or do you want a modified one which provides more assistance?

If the original brake booster is adequate my recommendation is to restore the jeeps brakes back to original (even though it might cost a bit more, like you say there is a further repair necessary). The reason I suggest this is because going forward repairs on the brake system will become easier and more predictable and probably even cheaper, because the parts will be easier to find (it's not a Frankenstein one off system). Modified systems are a little bit more difficult to maintain as you would need to know exactly what bits have been modified in what way, you can't simply look for J44 parts.

To my J3R short wheel jeep, I put modified one because the orginal break booster didnt gave much enough power. So I put a big one according to the area. That modified booster gives enough power like disk breaks. I will put a pic of it.. so you can have a idea..

post-49510-0-12727400-1324522028_thumb.j

Edited by Nishan Rodrigo

Nishan, I've never used a J44 myself so I am not aware of the issues with the original equipment. But could you clarify that the original brake booster is adequate for your Jeep or do you want a modified one which provides more assistance?

If the original brake booster is adequate my recommendation is to restore the jeeps brakes back to original (even though it might cost a bit more, like you say there is a further repair necessary). The reason I suggest this is because going forward repairs on the brake system will become easier and more predictable and probably even cheaper, because the parts will be easier to find (it's not a Frankenstein one off system). Modified systems are a little bit more difficult to maintain as you would need to know exactly what bits have been modified in what way, you can't simply look for J44 parts.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for original booster and also the one I have now is also some other type. The pump is original and the booster is some other type. Later I found that the push rod coming out from the booster (current one which is not damaged) is not touching master pump's piston at normal position. So I am looking for a compatible one now that could fit to the 4DR5 brake master pump. So if you can suggest a brand it would be helpful. Thanks indeed.

To my J3R short wheel jeep, I put modified one because the orginal break booster didnt gave much enough power. So I put a big one according to the area. That modified booster gives enough power like disk breaks. I will put a pic of it.. so you can have a idea..

post-49510-0-12727400-1324522028_thumb.j

Hi Nishan,

It is happy to see that you have done it well. Did you replace the Master Pump as well? If not what kind of booster you use? Did you buy a brand new one or reconditioned one?

I have the original 4DR5 master pump and any powerful booster that fits to it (especially the push rod and all) is ok I guess. So I really appreciate if you can tell me the place you bought it. (A friend of mine told me to look around Delkanda instead of panchikawatta for reconditioned one).

Thanks.

Edited by Nishan.dj

Its a recondition one.. i bought both of it. Thats mean the master pump & the booster. If u bought orginal booster, then you can fix your master pump but if you are going to fix japaneese recondition booster, you cant fix your master pump. So I bought both of it from Thalpitiya.. Near to Panadura.. Call me if you want any details 0776959695..

Its a recondition one.. i bought both of it. Thats mean the master pump & the booster. If u bought orginal booster, then you can fix your master pump but if you are going to fix japaneese recondition booster, you cant fix your master pump. So I bought both of it from Thalpitiya.. Near to Panadura.. Call me if you want any details 0776959695..

Thanks Nishan, I am not looking for the original booster. I think of finding a booster that is powerful and match to the master pump or, find both booster + master pump that match to the vehicle. So which vehicle's booster and master pump you use now? Hasn't is required to alter the body or the clutch pump to fix it? Thanks.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for original booster and also the one I have now is also some other type. The pump is original and the booster is some other type. Later I found that the push rod coming out from the booster (current one which is not damaged) is not touching master pump's piston at normal position. So I am looking for a compatible one now that could fit to the 4DR5 brake master pump. So if you can suggest a brand it would be helpful. Thanks indeed.

Hi Nishan, I think you have mentioned the fact you are not looking for the original booster. My questions is why not? The pump and the booster should match perfectly, else you will have to get a machine shop to try to make a custom fabrication to make them match. I am not in 100% agreement in what you are trying to do. I think its best you take Nishan Rodrigo's approach or you find the original booster for your pump.

I will give an example, recently I met a chap who had a failed fuel pump in a Ford focus (in Sri Lanka) and his mechanic had figured out that a pump from an AE110 was a good fit. Well the car runs but now feels massively underpowered. The fact that it "works" is not an indicator that it is suitable for the application. Same applies here. Unless there is a design fault with the original and it doesn't do what it is supposed to well (as in not enough brake boost) you should stick to the original. If not you need to either source a tried and tested replacement kit and if that is not available use Nishan R's method of sourcing both from another vehicle and fitting that it with a skilled mechanic.

The problem you have is everybody would have done things slightly differently, hence why nobody has offered a specific solution. They would have gone to a yard and picked up something and made it fit.....

• Like 1

Hi Nishan, I think you have mentioned the fact you are not looking for the original booster. My questions is why not? The pump and the booster should match perfectly, else you will have to get a machine shop to try to make a custom fabrication to make them match. I am not in 100% agreement in what you are trying to do. I think its best you take Nishan Rodrigo's approach or you find the original booster for your pump.

I will give an example, recently I met a chap who had a failed fuel pump in a Ford focus (in Sri Lanka) and his mechanic had figured out that a pump from an AE110 was a good fit. Well the car runs but now feels massively underpowered. The fact that it "works" is not an indicator that it is suitable for the application. Same applies here. Unless there is a design fault with the original and it doesn't do what it is supposed to well (as in not enough brake boost) you should stick to the original. If not you need to either source a tried and tested replacement kit and if that is not available use Nishan R's method of sourcing both from another vehicle and fitting that it with a skilled mechanic.

The problem you have is everybody would have done things slightly differently, hence why nobody has offered a specific solution. They would have gone to a yard and picked up something and made it fit.....

Hi Don,

I appreciate your response. And what you said is absolutely correct. But the problem is that I have searched for a 4DR5 original booster sometimes and also could find several but none of those in good condition which again would be problematic sometime later. So I think I will have to search more or if not have to buy both booster and the master pump that matches to the placement of the vehicle and fix it. So this weekend, I will waste my time on that though I don't know exactly what type of vehicle's booster and pump matches to the 4DR5 jeep right after its original. :( I had a chat with Nishan and he now experiences some better brakes with the newly fitted booster + master pump. I really thankful if someone suggest which boosters + master pumps suit to the 4DR5 to replace its original. Again thanks Don.

Edited by Nishan.dj

Hi Don,

I appreciate your response. And what you said is absolutely correct. But the problem is that I have searched for a 4DR5 original booster sometimes and also could find several but none of those in good condition which again would be problematic sometime later. So I think I will have to search more or if not have to buy both booster and the master pump that matches to the placement of the vehicle and fix it. So this weekend, I will waste my time on that though I don't know exactly what type of vehicle's booster and pump matches to the 4DR5 jeep right after its original. :( I had a chat with Nishan and he now experiences some better brakes with the newly fitted booster + master pump. I really thankful if someone suggest which boosters + master pumps suit to the 4DR5 to replace its original. Again thanks Don.

Nishan, what if you source an original booster for cheap and then get it rebuilt? I would have also expected a place like Willys in Panchikawatte to carry either the original booster or a matching replacement though the cost might be high.

I think the problem you might have with a new setup is too much boost, as in you touch the brake paddle and the brakes lock :)

• Like 1

Nishan, what if you source an original booster for cheap and then get it rebuilt? I would have also expected a place like Willys in Panchikawatte to carry either the original booster or a matching replacement though the cost might be high.

I think the problem you might have with a new setup is too much boost, as in you touch the brake paddle and the brakes lock :)

Thanks Don,

I will find something similar and compatible with the power that it had with the original one. Anyway I surely will post what I would do for that because this problem comes for may be almost all the old vehicles. not only the 4DR5.

@The Don, too much boost is sumthing i have in a way its good,

@ nishan you could use an booster from a H100 thats what i hv its a denso booster and a pump pretty good in breaking

Thanks Janith,

Its really helpful that you have mentioned the type of the booster and the pump you are using now. Since its kind of useless to search in panchikawatta, I will go to delkanda instead. Will see and let you know. Thanks again.

Thanks Don,

I will find something similar and compatible with the power that it had with the original one. Anyway I surely will post what I would do for that because this problem comes for may be almost all the old vehicles. not only the 4DR5.

Yes, I think you are right. I am just a little disappointed that you are having such trouble with this issue because the J44 is a popular vehicle, though it seems finding parts for Land Rovers is a lot easier than for a J44. When I did a search on Google I could not even find one proper reference to a J44 brake booster. I think Mitsubishi made a jeep with the 4DR6 turbo engine as well and I've seen body permit versions of it in Kurunagala. I wonder if one of those yards have a full front to the Jeep which will still have the old brake system attached.

• Like 1

Yes, I think you are right. I am just a little disappointed that you are having such trouble with this issue because the J44 is a popular vehicle, though it seems finding parts for Land Rovers is a lot easier than for a J44. When I did a search on Google I could not even find one proper reference to a J44 brake booster. I think Mitsubishi made a jeep with the 4DR6 turbo engine as well and I've seen body permit versions of it in Kurunagala. I wonder if one of those yards have a full front to the Jeep which will still have the old brake system attached.

Hi Don,

Its useful that " I've seen body permit versions of it in Kurunagala" and I would remember that. May be there It would be able to find some spare parts. I called "Jayasiri Motors" - Mawanella that is kind of a big place that import reconditioned Japanese spare parts and they even haven't got any. So will see what would be the better way of doing it. Thanks.

Edited by Nishan.dj