• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mixing Engine Oil With Power Steering Oil

NRX

Well the topic says it all. My mechanic suggested mixing a little amount of engine oil with the Power steering oil (ATF, Dextron III) of my car (FB13) as a fix for my power steering oil leak, the leak is happening slowly at the moment from the steering rack near the driver side boot, took almost 2 months to go from High to Low in indicator cap,

The mechanic says mixing engine oil will thicken up the fluid and will stop the leak and no harm will happen, I took this with a big pinch of salt and just filled up with Ceypetco ATF(Dextron III) fluid only.

Also he suggests replacing the driver side boot as it is damaged,

What is your opinion :) and how much roughly a steering rack for a FB13 will cost, is there any different models I can use as a replacement rack, like from FB14 ?

So sorry machang for not coming to your rescue earlier... :) Was busy at work and Autolanka does not pay nearly enough to keep up with all the threads that are opening up.

First of all, your mechanic is a Effing idiot.

2nd, one of your oil seals are busted in the rack. It is a fairly 'fixable' problem. But then since you are using a effing idiot of a mechnic he wouldn't know that. Smart of you not to listen to the said idiot and ruin not only your rack, but the pump itself and perhaps the oil cooler as well. (If you have one)

Find a competent mechanic who will remove the rack, pull out the shafts and replace the oil seals and what not for 1/4th the cost of a recon rack, which might actually cost anything upwards of 15k.

BTW, if your mechanic worked for a manufacturer then all cars would have only one kind of oil.... :)

Wonder if he uses engine oil to cook also... :).

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2

Sigh! Nobody to the rescue :sport-smiley-027:

'NRX',

I will give you what I found on the web.

http://www.pennzoil....eeringFluid.pdf

http://www.smartsynt...l-viscosity.htm

I have never mixed this two oils I have used always hydraulic oil for power steering.Engine oil comes with different grades.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

NRX,

Power steering oil and engine oil they have two different actions.

hydraulic oil can be used for power steering.

Engine oil if you mix with P/S oil i think all your rubber seals will get effected.

I have never mixed both oils to get the P/S oil to be more thicker (Viscosity).

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Dont do this, it will cause badly to the gasket/treads/and gear wheels/ cir-clips etc.... it is two different type of oil with two different viscosity. power steering oils are hydraulic type. low viscus one leads to low resistant and low heat build up

Sigh! Nobody to the rescue :sport-smiley-027:

i could be wrong but isn't power steering rack repair kits have those oil seals and other bits you need to repair power steering rack? if so using one will be a good and cheap solution to your problem than replacing the power steering rack.

BTW, if your mechanic worked for a manufacturer then all cars would have only one kind of oil.... :)

Lets hope someday they will make cars like that, we have Power steering oil, break oil , engine oil , transmission oil, differential oil and these too have so many sub categories as well...

Never do this.........

It will ruin any good parts of the power steering system and you will have to replace entire system.

U can refill the level when it drops and better to show a good mech soon. may be small issue of either PS rack or pump.

Good luck

So sorry machang for not coming to your rescue earlier... :) Was busy at work and Autolanka does not pay nearly enough to keep up with all the threads that are opening up.

LOL, what to do ban, this thing is going all over my head, it's my first car and has been using only for around 2 months :)

First of all, your mechanic is a Effing idiot.

2nd, one of your oil seals are busted in the rack. It is a fairly 'fixable' problem. But then since you are using a effing idiot of a mechnic he wouldn't know that. Smart of you not to listen to the said idiot and ruin not only your rack, but the pump itself and perhaps the oil cooler as well. (If you have one)

Find a competent mechanic who will remove the rack, pull out the shafts and replace the oil seals and what not for 1/4th the cost of a recon rack, which might actually cost anything upwards of 15k.

Wonder if he uses engine oil to cook also... :).

I'm in the process of finding a good mechanic, and after his oil mixing recommendation I ditched this guy =D

BTW machan, do u happen to know this mechanic guy from Seeduwa, IIRC you had mentioned in a thread that you take your ride to him. Seeduwa is somewhat closer to me , so I was thinking taking the car to him :)

Edited by NRX

NRX,

Where do you live. I can send you a mechanic he comes with all his tools and his son on a three wheeler do the job.

If you want the contact please Email me. [email protected],[email protected]

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Edited by Sylvi

NRX,

Where do you live. I can send you a mechanic he comes with all his tools and his son on a three wheeler do the job.

If you want the contact please Email me. [email protected],[email protected]

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Thanks Sylvi, I'm from Gampaha, I think it's far from colombo to Mechanic to travel right ?

LOL, what to do ban, this thing is going all over my head, it's my first car and has been using only for around 2 months :)

I'm in the process of finding a good mechanic, and after his oil mixing recommendation I ditched this guy =D

BTW machan, do u happen to know this mechanic guy from Seeduwa, IIRC you had mentioned in a thread that you take your ride to him. Seeduwa is somewhat closer to me , so I was thinking taking the car to him :)

I think Miniace recommended an excellent mechanic in your area called Ajith at Roadstar. If you search the forum you'll find his details or contact miniace.

Thanks Sylvi, I'm from Gampaha, I think it's far from colombo to Mechanic to travel right ?

NRX,

He will charge you for traveling, it is better to get in touch with the person who recommended by "miniace" to do your repair.

If every thing fails if you can drive to colombo please do infom me I will help you to get same done in Colombo.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I think Miniace recommended an excellent mechanic in your area called Ajith at Roadstar. If you search the forum you'll find his details or contact miniace.

NRX,

He will charge you for traveling, it is better to get in touch with the person who recommended by "miniace" to do your repair.

If every thing fails if you can drive to colombo please do infom me I will help you to get same done in Colombo.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you Mr Don and Sylvi, I'll look up on him and get the issue fixed, Thanks everyone for helping :)