• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problem With Gear Change With Toyota Townace

Malkoba

Question

Guys,

My uncle has a Toyota townace (YR39RV??) model with auto gears. when accelerate 1st and 2nd gears change normally. but to change to the 3rd gear, I have to go upto 60kmph and stay there for about 1 minute. once changed it does not change back to 2nd until I reduce the speed to 40 kmph.

As far as I know, and with my FB 14 auto, when I accelerate upto 40kmph, gear change from 2 to 3. My uncle said it is normal as his mechanic said. But it is very annoying to drive at 60kmph in 2nd gear for 1 minute.

What should be the reason for this.

Thanks,

Geeshan.

5 answers to this question

This is probably normal. I think the point you probably missed out and the critical missing link is the van is probably a diesel while the car is probably a petrol. The gear ratios of both these vehicles are also different and so is the power to weight ratios.

So what I am trying to tell you is that the gear change point is not really dependent on speed (it's set by the manufacturer depending on various conditions such as the gear ratio, power of the engine, rpm etc) and there is also no point trying to compare the shifting points of a petrol car with a diesel van.

Also you need to drive the two slightly differently :)

So if a competent mechanic has inspected the van and confirmed that its working correctly, I am sorry to say, its probably how it is and you'll just have to live with it :)

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

My car is a diesel and having a CD 20 engine which is 1.9. So I thought that the van is in the same range. Even I have driven one other auto van, the same model, and didn't have this issue. I think may be better to check with a proper mechanic. seems that the mechanic my uncle having is a 'Maka Bas' :mosking:

Any idea from guys who have this model??

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

My car is a diesel and having a CD 20 engine which is 1.9. So I thought that the van is in the same range. Even I have driven one other auto van, the same model, and didn't have this issue. I think may be better to check with a proper mechanic. seems that the mechanic my uncle having is a 'Maka Bas' :mosking:

Any idea from guys who have this model??

Yes but the car is a lot lighter, and in car's the gear ratios are a lot closer to each other. Even I found it a bit funny when I first took control of a Townace manual and then a Hiace auto. You can get it to shift gears using the kick down method.