• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wheel Alignment

kmcsb

Alignment should be less than Rs 2,000/-, get the wheels balanced as well ( less than Rs 500/=, depending on the weights ). There is a place next to Kushmi food, good for 4x4 vehicles.

If you are using a Android phone there is a app that tells you when to do what in a car, like service, oil change etc etc... So you dont need to keep asking What next .?? :)

But I prefer the good old service card system, with the little tick boxes.

You should normally do a wheel alignment in every 5000-6000 km. I think you meant regular washing and oil changing by service. So if you haven't done alignment within the last 5000Km you should do it now. Also it has nothing to do with the normal service.

every 5000km ? that mean every service... (oil change) doesn't it ?

rotating wheels are yes, but an wheel alignment every 5000-6000km ?

• Like 2

every 5000km ? that mean every service... (oil change) doesn't it ?

rotating wheels are yes, but an wheel alignment every 5000-6000km ?

Yup :( , all the alignment places I went to said the same. Our roads the pretty bad and it could easily mess up the alignment. Also it's recommended to check alignment if you hit a big pothole or a kerb.

I learnt the hard way that you should really pay attention to the alignment. Ignored it for 10,000 + KM and ended up replacing both the front tires. It's not that it'll go off in 5000 KM but it's better to check if its alright every 5000.

Yup :( , all the alignment places I went to said the same. Our roads the pretty bad and it could easily mess up the alignment. Also it's recommended to check alignment if you hit a big pothole or a kerb.

I learnt the hard way that you should really pay attention to the alignment. Ignored it for 10,000 + KM and ended up replacing both the front tires. It's not that it'll go off in 5000 KM but it's better to check if its alright every 5000.

well aligning has nothing to do with your tie-rods going bad. once they go bad your alignment may go off, due to bad road will not put the alignment off, unless your doing high speed driving over bad rods,

don't trust what shops says about such stuff, they would say any thing to make a buck :D

i drive 5000km ++ a month. and i never see my wheel alignment gone bad even at 20,000km :) unless your doing some part replacement like rack ends, CV's you really don't need to wheel alignments even 5000km

most of the stuff like rack ends etc goes bad coz of the poor quality of the parts used.

• Like 1

well aligning has nothing to do with your tie-rods going bad. once they go bad your alignment may go off, due to bad road will not put the alignment off, unless your doing high speed driving over bad rods,

don't trust what shops says about such stuff, they would say any thing to make a buck :D

i drive 5000km ++ a month. and i never see my wheel alignment gone bad even at 20,000km :) unless your doing some part replacement like rack ends, CV's you really don't need to wheel alignments even 5000km

most of the stuff like rack ends etc goes bad coz of the poor quality of the parts used.

Well mine had gone way off in 10,000 and eaten sides of both the front tires. All the components were good but the alignment was off. I never did alignment in 5000 (5000 = 2 months for me). I always checked alignment in 15,000 or so previously.

But that cost me 25000 for 2 new tires and checking alignment is less than 1000. So I decided to stick on to 5000 interval from now on :)

Btw do you always travel on carpeted roads ? unfortunately I'm not :(

But that cost me 25000 for 2 new tires and checking alignment is less than 1000. So I decided to stick on to 5000 interval from now on :)

alignments go bad due to rack ends, tir-rods, bad shocks etc, when such go bad, u hear and feel the car is off, just take your hand off the weel on a straight starch of road and see if the car is going straight or side ways. if its going side ways there is some thing wrong.

things like rack ends, tie roads going bad, you should hear font making noises. pay little attention your self to the car, the sounds it make, how it drive. u can feel it.

a car is like a women :D feel her ;)

luckily yes, but not all the time. but if the road is bad i drive really slow, i really don't want to stress my suspensions. if they go bad, i know who much it will cost me. :D

i take care of my car, i dont drive like a mad man on bad roads, i take my time going off humps. etc.

I have to disagree with some of the advises here.

First ,by rotating wheels as Sylvi mentioned wont solve any alignment issue. Thats like a Houdini's move. Trick your eyes. Alignments can go bad due to various factors including where you live and the make and the model of the tyres .

If you take your hands off the wheel and car goes straight never assume the alignment is correct.Car will drive fine on equal or near equal primary or secondary angle alignment of tracking off will not affect the straightline characteristics a human can detect. Only way is checking it using conventional or new tech methods.An alignment check at tyre shop will cost Rs750-1000 and wheel balancing is diffrent (Some are confused with balancing and tracking) and expensive.

If you have good weekends off and wanna spend some time car the alignment DIY is fun.If not take her to the shop and get examined.I would say 10K is fine.

MINIACE

I have to disagree with some of the advises here.

First ,by rotating wheels as Sylvi mentioned wont solve any alignment issue. Thats like a Houdini's move. Trick your eyes. Alignments can go bad due to various factors including where you live and the make and the model of the tyres .

If you take your hands off the wheel and car goes straight never assume the alignment is correct.Car will drive fine on equal or near equal primary or secondary angle alignment of tracking off will not affect the straightline characteristics a human can detect. Only way is checking it using conventional or new tech methods.An alignment check at tyre shop will cost Rs750-1000 and wheel balancing is diffrent (Some are confused with balancing and tracking) and expensive.

If you have good weekends off and wanna spend some time car the alignment DIY is fun.If not take her to the shop and get examined.I would say 10K is fine.

MINIACE

Miniace,

You are correct as for your post that wheel alignment problem will not solve by tire rotation.

Wheel alignment advise was requested by the topic starter himself and few members gave their experiences

Tire rotation is necessary for equal tire wastage. I only advised the topic starter to do that.

Your post gives lot of explanation on the subject it is a very educative post

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Miniace,

You are correct as for your post that wheel alignment problem will not solve by tire rotation.

Wheel alignment advise was requested by the topic starter himself and few members gave their experiences

Tire rotation is necessary for equal tire wastage. I only advised the topic starter to do that.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

OP never asked about tyre rotations. Tyre rotation is practically applicable only of all four tyres are having installed concurrently. In Sri Lanka the usual practice is replacing two a time due financial concerns?

MINIACE

my car is the old lancer station wagon and rear wheel drive ........do i still need to do alignment.......any place that can be done...

however i have a noticed and extra looseness in my steering wheel recent past and the car pulling towards the right side....is there any reason for this

Well mine had gone way off in 10,000 and eaten sides of both the front tires. All the components were good but the alignment was off. I never did alignment in 5000 (5000 = 2 months for me). I always checked alignment in 15,000 or so previously.

If you're alignment is off tires dont suddenly wear out in a flash. If you even occasionally inspect your tires (even while simply inflating them) you'd have noticed the uneven wear at which point you could have fixed it. You probably ignored the issue for too long. So you can't say not spending Rs.1000 cost me Rs.25000.

Kalinga,

You as a heavy user more than 5000 Kilometers for a month, had given your experience and opinion to the members of the forum.

I appreciate your post. AS a person in automobile service industry.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Miniace,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

kmcsb,

Members had given you the best advice.

One more thing you have to change your tires front to rear and rear to front.

Rotate tires for even wastage.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Three posts of useless content. Sylvi, just because you passed the 1000 post mark doesnt mean you will get paid. Your posts have to be of good quality, that's why you arent getting paid yet while we get a fat check every month.

PS: we dont need you to reply to every post saying "you are correct", cos frankly your perception of a correct answer is wrong to begin with.

Members,

I am not interested in getting money from a public forum.

Like some members who confirm that they get paid.

I have been in the automobile industry long before most members ever drove a automobile. Still active.

I give my opinion for a members post. of what I know not to add my post count.

If moderator wants me to stop writing I will do so.

I don't change color as I wish to show a different faces on to the members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members, I am not interested in getting money from a public forum. Like some members who confirm that they get paid. I have been in the automobile industry long before most members ever drove a automobile. Still active. I give my opinion for a members post. of what I know not to add my post count. If moderator wants me to stop writing I will do so. I don't change color as I wish to show a different faces on to the members. Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, don't get offended. But Watchman has a point. There is no reason to congratulate another member on a correct post every time because all that does is make the thread longer. I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but perhaps maybe tone it down a little?

Sylvi, don't get offended. But Watchman has a point. There is no reason to congratulate another member on a correct post every time because all that does is make the thread longer. I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but perhaps maybe tone it down a little?

'The Don',

I take your advice,

If you read some threads there are some unwanted writing on them not relavent to the topic

This member mentioned by you have some animosity with me.

Always try to write some thing against towords my posts.

I cannot understand his atenuate towords me.

I need not do at my age any automobile servise to motorists to make a living.

I am still active because my servise is necessary to the automobile industry.

I do not live from the income what I get from ths servise what I do.

I am not a avaricious person. I have told number of times I do not want any payment for my posts.

Opinion differs from person to person.I mostly reply posts to Electrical and mechanical problems of members.

My be this person is living on this forum, that proves from his post he gets paid for his posts. (we get a fat check every month)

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi brother, lets make love and peace ok bro?

Also maybe next time you can type without double spacing between every 2 lines.

This is me getting my check for last month

Picture+1.png

I'll buy you a gold necklace next month ok.. Next time ah, think of me as a lover and not an enemy ok brother?